LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Side mirror problems on 01' LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 08:28 PM
Jim Rohr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side mirror problems on 01' LS

My driver side mirror doesn't want to fold/unfold completely. I would love to troubleshoot this issue. Does anyone know if it is a serviceable part? I fear going to the dealer because I had the same issue with the right passenger side mirror while the car was still in warranty. The dealer simply replaced the entire assembly....a job that would have cost me $700 if it were out of warranty as it is now. Would love to hear from anyone that knows anything about the subject or can refer me to service bulletins that would help me towards a fix. I really miss the automatic features of the mirror movement and would like to restore it to its full functionality.
Old 04-18-06, 09:09 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I used........

WD-40 on my 2 mirrors when they didnt move. I dont suggest you do the same but i did and it just needed to have a lubricant. What if thats all it needs. Ask the dealer if your mirrors need a lubricant because they do fold in and out so corrosion could be an issue. Dont tell the dealer about me using WD-40 though, you might hurt your chances of them repairing or lubricating yours because they might think you already tried the WD-40. Again dont try the WD-40 like me ask the dealer first if it could possibly just need a lubricant. Then proceed after the dealer analysis. ALSO LOOK TO SEE IF THERE IS A TSB (TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN) FOR THIS ISSUE, IF SO THEY MIGHT REPAIR IT FREE.
Old 04-19-06, 09:07 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Just grease it down with WD40 or any clear waterproof lube and call it a day. Mine would stick sometime after it rains. Just use the auto fold option as much as possible to keep things lubed and clear.. If you don't use them sometimes dirt build up over time and cause it not to open all the way.
Old 04-19-06, 07:29 PM
Jim Rohr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you lubricate it? The entire mirror assembly is pretty well encased in plastic shielding the the inner mechanism from the elements. The worm gears which govern the entire affair are well hidden. So where do you apply the lubricant of choice? Thanks for responding to my queries...
Old 04-19-06, 09:24 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile mirrors.....

Put the mirror in the foloding position. and were the mirror crease is spray WD-40 there with the red straw-like applicator in between there were the small crease is. If you dont understand what i mean by the crease, i mean when you fold the mirror inward apply the lubricant there, the part that the mirror is held up by and there is were to apply. An example is like the henges of your home door. In between is were the dirt and rust can build up from rain when it comes to the folding mirrors, my car is the same age as your and I had the same problem 3 years ago because my car sat outside for a long period with being driven . What makes the mirror fold is the bolt and screw that connects the mirror to make it fold if your uneasy about this talk to the dealer I dont want to suggest anything and you damage your car. So be sure to consult the dealer first before doing this. I know how to perform this action so its O.K for me. You on the other hand may not feel comfortable doing so. Proceed with caution brother. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.
Old 04-28-06, 11:47 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree it is simply a lubrication problem, but WD40 is not the best product to use. I'd recommend looking at AutoZone or something for a true lubricant rather than a water displacement product like WD40.

-Damon

Originally Posted by usermel
Put the mirror in the foloding position. and were the mirror crease is spray WD-40 there with the red straw-like applicator in between there were the small crease is. If you dont understand what i mean by the crease, i mean when you fold the mirror inward apply the lubricant there, the part that the mirror is held up by and there is were to apply. An example is like the henges of your home door. In between is were the dirt and rust can build up from rain when it comes to the folding mirrors, my car is the same age as your and I had the same problem 3 years ago because my car sat outside for a long period with being driven . What makes the mirror fold is the bolt and screw that connects the mirror to make it fold if your uneasy about this talk to the dealer I dont want to suggest anything and you damage your car. So be sure to consult the dealer first before doing this. I know how to perform this action so its O.K for me. You on the other hand may not feel comfortable doing so. Proceed with caution brother. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.