LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Mirror retractor on 99 LS (know of a recall ?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-02, 07:43 PM
oac3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror retractor on 99 LS (know of a recall ?)

I have a '99 LS and my passenger side mirror no longer moves up/down when I put the car in D or R, respectively. Took it in to the dealer and they claimed they replaced a computer chip which did not fix the problem. Now dealer says I need a new mirror assembly. Cost is $400 + labor + tax. Incidentally, dealer mentioned to me that Lexus was aware of problems in the mirror in my model year, although no TSB was issued for it.

Does anyone with the '99 have a similar problem ? Could not find a TSB on this at the NHTSA site (at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/Service4.cfm)

Can Lexus fix this even if the car is out of warranty if it is a previously established problem ?
Old 07-26-02, 12:09 AM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you still adjust the mirror? If so I can't see how that could be the problem.
Unless there is a TSB there is little chance they will do it for free.
Acura's also have this feature...do you find it very useful?
Old 07-26-02, 08:06 PM
oac3
Rookie

Default Useful ???

Hmmmm, that is a good question ! I have not really cared for the retracting mirror, being used to doing my own manual checking instead of relying on some mirrors....

The only reason I am concerned is that it is a feature in the vehicle, and I'd hate to see it non-functional seeing that I just bought the vehicle.

But oh well ! I suppose I can live w/out it. BTW, the mirror can be controlled manually, just not retracting by itself. Now that I think more about it, the current setting seems to be fine.

Thanks rsg.
Old 07-27-02, 01:36 AM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also there will be less wear and tear on the motor of the mirror system....if that really matters. This feature in my opinion is not very useful, it's more of a "wow look at the mirrors moving by themselves" kind of thing.
Old 07-27-02, 06:22 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure that your mirror adjusting switch is set at L position. Then put the car in reverse and see if the mirror tilt down or not.
Old 08-02-02, 04:00 PM
oac3
Rookie

Default Lexus Customer Care came through

Finally a bit of good news. After a call to Lexus Customer care regarding Tustin Lexus dealership scam on my LS, and the latter's claim that my non-retracting mirror cannot be fixed unless replaced, Lexus customer care decided they would go ahead and order the fix on goodwill, i.e. no cost to me. They put a catch: I have to take the car back to Tustin. I refused. I told Lexus customer care, I'd rather NOT have the mirror fixed than take my car to Tustin Lexus. I do so much detest that dealership. So they called me back and agreed I can use my local dealership. They went ahead and booked the service for me and all will be taken care of at no cost to me.

I told the lady, she had restored my faith in Lexus, if only its dealership were that nice...

So, even when I gave up not using the retracting mirror, it seems I will be getting a brand new one without charge. I am a happy camper, of course. And as they say: all is well that ends well.
Old 08-03-02, 10:39 PM
velandia
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad to hear Lexus is standing behind their warantee!!

With your car being a '99, I figure there's at least a few months left in the 4yr bumper to bumper warantee. I'll keep your experience in mind should anything act up on my wife's LS400.

Thanks for posting the resolution to your prob.

-Mo