LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

PPG windshield glass

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 02:16 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PPG windshield glass

My 1999 ls400, is in need of a windshield, anyone have experience with PPG windshield on the ls400?
Old 12-30-15, 07:46 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

PPG replaced mine 3 or 4 years ago..no issues at all
Old 12-30-15, 08:13 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by billydpowe
PPG replaced mine 3 or 4 years ago..no issues at all
Thanks Billy, for your input, did you notice anymore noise from before? Anymore glare than oem etc. I take it your happy, I'll most likely go this route. Since it's very affordable $180 out the door, I did some searching apparently PPG also were suppliers to certain oem, I believed Toyota/ Lexus uses asahi. Anyway if anyone has anymore input would love to hear your experience.
Old 12-30-15, 08:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,552 Posts

PPG makes some of the best glass out there I have one in my Camry it has held up well. For some reason the glass place I go to no longer installs PPG for most cars, maybe they are cheaping out not sure.
Old 12-31-15, 01:50 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The best glass says Lexus Toyota on it. It is super tough. If you study it others say nothing compares to the Lexus windshield.
But I'd worry more about the people doing the cutting out and installing. If they can't do it with out jabbing and scratching the opening and pinch weld, even though they say they prime it I wouldn't want them touching my cars.
Old 12-31-15, 05:04 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

PPG for mine a few years ago. No issues. Lexus glass would be very $$$$$.
Old 12-31-15, 07:47 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthesia
My 1999 ls400, is in need of a windshield, anyone have experience with PPG windshield on the ls400?
PPG no longer makes windshield glass.They created a new division known as;Pittsburg glass works.Their glass is now marked PGW.Had PGW glass installed in my 99LS approx. two years ago and am not happy with it for at least two reasons:First the glass seems thin.Second the glass has numerous wavy defects and it took a long time to get used to the distortions.I would say be very careful of PGW glass and inspect it very carefully.
Old 12-31-15, 12:15 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i have pwg in mine with no issues..been in there for about 3 or 4 years
Old 12-31-15, 12:31 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

PPG used a new top molding on mine.. and it is very good..
Old 12-31-15, 09:29 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

i read somewhere that the Lexus glass was 2 or 3x as thick as an aftermarket replacement, that's why it costs so much. Helps with sound insulation and wind noise reduction.
Old 12-31-15, 11:02 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
i read somewhere that the Lexus glass was 2 or 3x as thick as an aftermarket replacement, that's why it costs so much. Helps with sound insulation and wind noise reduction.
And it is a structural member of the body itself. A small rock that will crack your PPG window will just divot the Lexus glass.
Old 01-01-16, 06:36 AM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PO used pilkington glass. The OEM glass in my excursion had a crack in it but that thing really held up to chips and dings. The aftermarket glass cracked with ease. It is a get what you pay for thing with windshields. This discount auto glass stuff is thin.
Old 01-01-16, 09:32 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Thanks Billy, for your input, did you notice anymore noise from before? Anymore glare than oem etc. I take it your happy, I'll most likely go this route. Since it's very affordable $180 out the door, I did some searching apparently PPG also were suppliers to certain oem, I believed Toyota/ Lexus uses asahi. Anyway if anyone has anymore input would love to hear your experience.
I had an OEM windshield on my 2000 LS400 replaced with another "Made in Japan" OEM windshield in around 2012(?) due to a rock strike. My insurer (State Farm) didn't balk at the high cost of the OEM windshield - maybe because the tint color (Bronze) was not available in the aftermarket.

I also had the sunroof glass on my first LS400 replaced with OEM glass due to a crack that was probably caused by debris falling from an overpass - was that ever an exciting BANG!

My 2014 Toyota Sienna came with a PGW acoustic windshield but it was assembled in Indiana. Its windshield has already been replaced once with another OEM PGW acoustic windshield due to a rock strike that quickly grew to a 12 inch crack. I plan to keep the Sienna for quite a few years and should get my insurer to pay for more OEM windshields in the future if any are needed since only PGW makes the acoustic versions. We've had windshields on other vehicles replaced too - all due to rock strikes.

The cost of the windshield replacements and the one sunroof glass replacement were fully paid for by our insurance policies except for one windshield replacement on the first LS400 - I just didn't bother to file a claim. Between windshield replacements, vandalism and deer strikes, it has been cost effect to carry a zero deductible on Comprehensive coverage so that there is no out-of-pocket expense. We do, however, carry the highest deductible allowed on Collision coverage and back up all our insurance coverage with a personal liability umbrella policy.
Old 01-01-16, 04:16 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas
I had an OEM windshield on my 2000 LS400 replaced with another "Made in Japan" OEM windshield in around 2012(?) due to a rock strike. My insurer (State Farm) didn't balk at the high cost of the OEM windshield - maybe because the tint color (Bronze) was not available in the aftermarket.

I also had the sunroof glass on my first LS400 replaced with OEM glass due to a crack that was probably caused by debris falling from an overpass - was that ever an exciting BANG!

My 2014 Toyota Sienna came with a PGW acoustic windshield but it was assembled in Indiana. Its windshield has already been replaced once with another OEM PGW acoustic windshield due to a rock strike that quickly grew to a 12 inch crack. I plan to keep the Sienna for quite a few years and should get my insurer to pay for more OEM windshields in the future if any are needed since only PGW makes the acoustic versions. We've had windshields on other vehicles replaced too - all due to rock strikes.

The cost of the windshield replacements and the one sunroof glass replacement were fully paid for by our insurance policies except for one windshield replacement on the first LS400 - I just didn't bother to file a claim. Between windshield replacements, vandalism and deer strikes, it has been cost effect to carry a zero deductible on Comprehensive coverage so that there is no out-of-pocket expense. We do, however, carry the highest deductible allowed on Collision coverage and back up all our insurance coverage with a personal liability umbrella policy.
Hi Kansas, great to see you posting again, we miss you on this forum, thanks for your input, hope you enjoying the sienna as much as the ls400, I'm sure you will pick up another ls400 down the road.
Old 01-02-16, 06:25 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Hi Kansas, great to see you posting again, we miss you on this forum, thanks for your input, hope you enjoying the sienna as much as the ls400, I'm sure you will pick up another ls400 down the road.
Thanks, my forum activity seems to have increased over the holidays - maybe too much time on my hands. Still liking the Sienna a lot - love the carrying capacity and still amused at all the gadgets it has. Next car is going to be electric and self driving if at all possible but it's going to have to have a minimum range of 500 miles before would buy. I visited a Tesla dealership a few weeks ago but at best the range of a Model S is less than 300 miles and it's a little difficult for me to get in and out of. I didn't try the Tesla Model S new self driving feature.