LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Crankshaft front seal leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 05:57 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I use this one - works well!

the crank pulley can be removed with a standard pulley puller that you can get cheap anywhere
Old 11-01-16, 08:00 AM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeok18109
i did most of this job without a FSM. Ive been working on cars since 2008. I know my way around an engine. This was my first timing belt/water pump job. it took FOREVER to do. If you are going to attmept to do this on your own i would highly suggest getting the FSM. I had to guess or research on stuff all the time and it was a giant pita!

My oil pump housing was leaking BADLY. thats where all my oil was coming from. redid the crank and cam seals along with dropping lower pan, and prying down as best i could to remove the oil pump without dropping upper pan (didnt have way to support engine from top at the time).

It was one hell of a learning experience and a much deeper appreciation for my car. before i did the job it was CLEARLY pushing out a quart a minute out of that hole in the bottom timing cover. it was FUBAR. now? not a drop of oil or coolant to be found anywhere.
I am hoping to speak with someone that has experience with replacing/tightening the Oil Pump and O Ring on the 1UZ. Aeok18109, Did replacement of the Oil pump/ O-ring require removal of any bolts only accessed by removing the upper pan?

My 98 GS with the VVTi engine seems to now be leaking from this area. I have successfully already replaced Cam Seals,(via cam removal and dissassembly), valve cover/ spark tube seals and front crank/pump seal.

However I now suspect the Oil Pump leak as I am getting a constant slow drip after warmup from the lower timing cover behind the crank pulley. Also I am hearing some very faint rod noise at idle,that points to insufficient oil pressure, presumably as oils is bypasssing the Oil Pump O-Ring as on its way to the Oil Main galley.

HELLO Aeok18109, I IM'd you about this, would you be so kind to text or call me back at your convenience, 6787709017, would really appreciate it. Thanks! David
Old 04-26-17, 06:54 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by camer0nn
So I have since replaced the front crank and 2 front cam seals. I was about to take it for a drive and noticed fresh oil leaked on the ground below.
I chucked a bottled of fluorescent dye in the oil but it didn't work that well. As far as I can tell it looks to be the RH cam seal leaking. I'm hoping I haven't pinched it putting it in or not seated it correctly . Take a look at the attached pics of it running and not running. (the pics are looking down behind the cam pulley)
Pretty sure there shouldn't be a bead of oil visible outside the seal
Hi cameraOnn.. I note you say you replaced the front crank seal. I'll be doing my timing belt now and the kit came with a crank seal so at 300,000km (2nd belt) I want to change that seal. Um, how did you get the old seal out ?
Oh, BTW... Did you have any trouble getting the (not crank pulley) timing belt pulley off ? As I have no puller...

Last edited by fastegg; 04-26-17 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Just added stuff
Old 04-26-17, 03:23 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Crank pulley is the TB pulley and your not going to get it off without some type of puller. Auto zone will let you borrow tools for free. Or just buy one, money permitting, they aren't that expensive.
Old 04-26-17, 07:21 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Crank pulley is the TB pulley and your not going to get it off without some type of puller. Auto zone will let you borrow tools for free. Or just buy one, money permitting, they aren't that expensive.
Not quite. By 'crank pulley' he is referring to the harmonic balancer. He's asking if the crank timing sprocket can be removed without a puller. You say no, I say yes. The balancer and sprocket both slide off with your hand. The sprocket sometimes requires a slight nudge from two screwdrivers prying at the back at the VERY MOST. No puller required.
Old 04-28-17, 07:52 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Not quite. By 'crank pulley' he is referring to the harmonic balancer. He's asking if the crank timing sprocket can be removed without a puller. You say no, I say yes. The balancer and sprocket both slide off with your hand. The sprocket sometimes requires a slight nudge from two screwdrivers prying at the back at the VERY MOST. No puller required.
Ok you got me there, blew by the ' not crank pulley' part. Yeah you have to work that sprocket out of there. Make sure to clean it up good down there before you put any parts back on.
Old 05-01-17, 01:16 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Any suggestions on how to get the front crank seal out ?
Old 05-01-17, 01:50 AM
ankurdave
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The usual way seems to be to put a screw into it and pry that out: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9848400 (edit: just noticed that you were the one who asked the question in the linked thread, oops)

There are also apparently various tools you can use, including seal pullers and a slide hammer.

I don't have a drill or any of those tools, so I just got it out by pulling on it from the inside edge using a paint can opener, which Ace Hardware gives away for free.

Last edited by ankurdave; 05-01-17 at 02:03 AM.