ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil leak

Old 09-15-18, 05:06 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil leak

Hi everyone! My 2007 es350 definitely has a oil leak of some kind. I am not positive yet if it is engine oil but will do a dye test tomorrow.

Basically the silver/aluminum part right behind the passenger side pulley that is most visible (is that the crank pulley?) is covered with oil. Not a lot but there is definitely some kind of leak. What is that silver/aluminum part and any ideas? I will post an update once I get going on the dye test.

I read that it might be the timing cover oil leak. What exactly is that? Does that mean it is leaking from the front crank seal? Ive done a timing belt with all the cam and crank seals on a 2000 accord so if that is what it is, I can probably tackle this job.

Thanks!
-Charlie

Last edited by cl206; 09-15-18 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 02:58 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Have you replaced the vvt-i oil line? A recall covers the replacement. Ours got a pinhole and made a mess of the engine bay.

The timing cover oil leak is not on the crank seal (although it could be on yours), but I'm not sure where exactly oil breaks through. Our ES350 has the timing cover leak, but it is more of a seepage and the oil level has never registered low, even with 10k oil changes. Our leak runs down the block and down the PS pump. I wipe what I can reach every oil change. I noticed the leak/seepage after the warranty ran out; so, I've had to deal with it. The only change I made was go to 10/30 oil. It significantly reduced the seepage and wife never noticed a reduction in fuel consumption.

Another thing it can be is PS fluid. The OEM fluid is clear and gets dark with age, resembling motor oil. When I replaced ours, I had to replace the return line on the reservoir inlet as the hose was brittle and not far from cracking, which would have sprayed fluid in that area. I still need to replace the reservoir outlet return line at that hose has also hardened but at least it has a sleeve as a heat shield. I'll replace it at next PS flush.
Old 09-16-18, 05:50 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Thanks for the reply Chuyrobles. My car did have the vvti recall done several years ago and now I am just hoping maybe it is a pinhole leak. I havent checked the Ps steerig fluid yet but if the dye doesnt come out from the engine oil block I will look at that next.

Also there is virtually no oil I can see from the top nor the side so it looks like it is only on that part just behind the crank pulley. Maybe indeed there is a pinhole leak somewhere. I think tonight I will run the car and see if i can see dye spraying from somewhere...

Also are you in a cold climate? I understand that 10w or 5w wont matter as much if say you live in texas but im in the northeast so it gets cold but if the 10w works for you i migt try that too.

Charlie

Last edited by cl206; 09-16-18 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 01:45 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

I'm in San Diego area. Mid 90's this week; went through triple digits on/off the past 30 days.

How does the bottomside look like? If your warranty is out and oil is not dripping to the floor, you may just have to live with it. A timing cover gasket replacement is a big job. If you find the source of the leak you can probably glue it shut with high temp silicone - some Tacoma owners have done that successfully (05-06 V6 models have a leaking timing cover.)
Old 09-16-18, 07:24 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Okay it is definitely engine oil. I put the dye in today and drove only about 20 miles and at night decided to check it out. I was under the car, I was also at the passenger side well (after removing tire) and all I can see with the UV light is some random splatter of dye. I just cannot for the life of me find the source.

Also I was mistaken about the pulley. It is NOT the crank pulley. It is actually the one you can see to the left of it. All the pulleys and belts look oil free, so that is good.

I think Ill wait until the weekend to check it out again. It really isn't that much but after a while it does drip a small amount onto the ground. Ive checked the oil level and it is fine. If I can't find the source of the leak, I might just wipe it once or twice a month and live with it because it is way out of warranty.
Old 09-16-18, 09:05 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

That would be the power steering pump. That's where mine leaks down through also, but sounds like you have a larger leak. I'm going to be replacing my water pump within 2-3 weeks; maybe I can get a better look at the source of the leak when I remove the water pump.
Old 09-17-18, 05:14 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The timing cover is known to leak at the area where head meets the block. Mine was fixed there under warranty a long time ago...
Old 09-17-18, 05:15 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
That would be the power steering pump. That's where mine leaks down through also, but sounds like you have a larger leak. I'm going to be replacing my water pump within 2-3 weeks; maybe I can get a better look at the source of the leak when I remove the water pump.
Yes please keep me posted.

Originally Posted by igzy
The timing cover is known to leak at the area where head meets the block. Mine was fixed there under warranty a long time ago...
Igzy, if it is the timing cover leak, can you see the leak from the top? This weekend will probably remove come of the covers under the hood to see if I can get a better view of any dye traces.
Old 09-18-18, 06:55 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cl206
Igzy, if it is the timing cover leak, can you see the leak from the top? This weekend will probably remove come of the covers under the hood to see if I can get a better view of any dye traces.
The leak is typically at the bank 1 side close to the firewall. It can be seen from the top with engine covers and strut bar off, if you shine the light and look with a mirror between the strut tower and close to the cyl #1. It is a real pain to see it as it is in a really tight spot. Here is the exact spot:

The oil then drips across the side and down over the engine mount (under the crank pulley)
Old 09-21-18, 08:20 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by igzy
The leak is typically at the bank 1 side close to the firewall. It can be seen from the top with engine covers and strut bar off, if you shine the light and look with a mirror between the strut tower and close to the cyl #1. It is a real pain to see it as it is in a really tight spot. Here is the exact spot:

[img] http://carspecmn.com/wp-content/uplo...0000064538.png

The oil then drips across the side and down over the engine mount (under the crank pulley)
Thanks for the picture. We put about 100 miles and there really isn't that much of a leak. There is no oil by the crank pulley nor engine mount so hopefully I don't have that leak. I guess Ill just monitor it and wipe everyone once in a while.
Old 11-22-21, 09:02 PM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By avoiding your urge to buy low cost oil can prevent some leaks. Detergents used in some maybe, idk why but some oils actually do cause leaks.
I have to wonder if whats in certain brands of oils is what started those decades old rumours about switching over from dino to full syn caused oil leaks? I called that bs for yrs but not today.
A couple yrs ago I ran across the 5qt jugs of Harvest King full syn oil our local Rural King farm stores sell real cheap. For only $10 each heck I bought several jugs, (3) different grades.
Within weeks of changing oil in both our vehicles their valve cover gaskets began leaking like mad, neither ever leaked before.
I immediatly drained that crap oil out and put Mobil1 back in. Our Infiniti stopped leaking right away after but my Tundra never did stop, it only slowed.
I had to change the VC gaskets on it.
I used it in my Wheel Horse garden tractor cause its Kohler has old cork/paper gaskets & it never leaked. However it did burn almost a quart of oil over summer so for the first time since buying it over 30yrs ago I had to add oil to it. I changed it back to Mobil1 and this season was like normal again & never burned a drop.
Lesson learned those bargains can sure cost you, I really got lucky it wasnt an oil pan leak instead. I no longer look for bargain oils, its Mobil1 or Amsoil for me.
Old 12-22-23, 03:05 PM
Abrar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for my information , since the timing cover leak is so common with 2GE-FE engines , how common is it ?

Will it be fair to say that all 2GR-FE engines in service will eventually get the leak ?

are there examples who have high mileage and still no front timing cover leak ?

is the prevalence more than 60% ?

Wanted opinions from members.
Old 12-22-23, 03:55 PM
sthpawil
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Abrar
Just for my information , since the timing cover leak is so common with 2GE-FE engines , how common is it ?

are there examples who have high mileage and still no front timing cover leak ?
My 2010 has just over 240k miles on it. No timing cover leak, nor any other leaks for that matter. Have always used Mobil1 oil.

Last edited by sthpawil; 12-22-23 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sthpawil:
Abrar (12-22-23), ESh (12-24-23)
Old 12-22-23, 06:38 PM
Abrar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sthpawil
My 2010 has just over 240k miles on it. No timing cover leak, nor any other leaks for that matter. Have always used Mobil1 oil.

good to know , did you get the vehicle new ?
Old 12-22-23, 06:58 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

I would use high milage oil, you never know, it might stop or slow the tinny leak…

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak