LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Liking my $275 bluetooth phone upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-12, 01:26 AM
clipster
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Liking my $275 bluetooth phone upgrade

I finally had enough of headsets, earbuds, speakerphones, etc. when making / taking calls. After searching this site, (many thanks to Kansas - appreciate you sharing your knowledge here) I went with the Motorola IHF1700, which I found on Amazon for $125.

At first I thought I'd do this myself, but when I looked at the amount of work involved, I decided to check to see what the pros wanted to do this work. Found a shop in Huntington Beach that could do this install for $150 - and am pleased with their work.

Don't know why I didn't do this sooner - highly recommended upgrade!
Attached Thumbnails Liking my 5 bluetooth phone upgrade-s1100001.jpg  
Old 12-23-12, 03:05 AM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering, but why didn't you just upgrade the stereo to a bluetooth capable one?

Or do you just prefer the oem headunit?
Old 12-29-12, 10:54 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm a bit late replying. Your thread reminded of my California sister-in-law getting tickets for talking on a handheld phone while driving. I'm amazed at the number of people I see here holding phones while driving in vehicles with Bluetooth systems.

Did your installer connect the IHF to automatically mute your radio? Since you mentioned my forum user name, I wondered if you caught the information I posted about the audio mute pin in the driver side connector under the vent you see when the armrest is raised. I miss the automatic radio mute now that I'm using a Garmin GPS for handsfree calls.

Are you finding the controller install location under the ignition switch acceptable? Some people have installed the IHF controller on the wood console panel just below the radio head unit of 95-00 LS400's. I've wondered if there is room between the radio volume **** and the left temperature control or if the controller could be stuck to the strip of wood below the center vents. I can assist if you would like to move the controller.

Before I got the Garmin, I planned to mount a Parrot Mki9100 phone kit controller on a modified Pro.Fit legend bracket mounted on the left side of the radio. The handsfree phone feature of the Garmin turned out to be decent enough that I decided not to install a separate phone kit. Still, nothing beats a dedicated phone kit.

For those who didn't see my past posts, Motorola IHF phone kits were rebranded with Toyota and Lexus logos and were official Toyota and Lexus dealer installed accessories in the U.K. and Europe during about a five year period in the mid-2000's. Very good products.
Old 12-29-12, 03:05 PM
clipster
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did see the post about the wire under the console, but I also thought I saw another where someone said that it didn't work with the Nak, which I have.

The installer did get the audio mute to work, but said he had to pull the head unit to do so. Quoted and charged me 2 hours to do the job, even though it took him 5 to complete.

Also saw the pic of the controller just above the ashtray, but didn't like it. I requested that he install the controller where he did, for I wanted it to be discreet and out of the way. I also have a MB SL500 that has a Parrot 3200 installed in the same spot, so I'm already used to it.
Old 12-29-12, 04:54 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by clipster
I did see the post about the wire under the console, but I also thought I saw another where someone said that it didn't work with the Nak, which I have.

The installer did get the audio mute to work, but said he had to pull the head unit to do so. Quoted and charged me 2 hours to do the job, even though it took him 5 to complete.

Also saw the pic of the controller just above the ashtray, but didn't like it. I requested that he install the controller where he did, for I wanted it to be discreet and out of the way. I also have a MB SL500 that has a Parrot 3200 installed in the same spot, so I'm already used to it.
The center front pin of the six-pin driver side phone connector under the console vent works to mute both the Nak and Pioneer systems of the 98-00 LS400. I also have the Nak in my 00 LS and used the mute pin with an old style Nokia "CARK-91H" kit. Most installers, however, usually attach the phone mute wire to the headunit since they don't understand the factory phone prewire harness.

$150 sure isn't much for five hours work but that seems to indicate that the installer didn't know much about your car. I remember spending about 12 hours installing my old Nokia kit after I bought my 00 LS in 2003 but that included unnecessarily running a new antenna cable to the trunk before I knew that there was already an antenna cable under the center console. Now that I completely understand how the interior fits together, I'm positive I could install an IHF or similar Bluetooth kit in about an hour.

To give you an idea how old I am, I sold the only Mercedes SL I've owned in the summer of 1973 after owning it about four years! A neighbor across the street still has the 350/450 SL he bought new over 40 years ago - amazing.

If you are interested in further moderization of your LS, here is a recent thread on my having a California company install an aux-in on my Nak so I can stream audio from my phone - I could have used a Bluetooth adapter on the aux-in: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...000-ls400.html

Becker Autosound in New Jersey can even install an aux-in on your SL radio assuming you still are using the original radio: http://www.beckerautosound.com/