LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Factory Radio Service aux-in on 2000 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-12, 12:44 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Factory Radio Service aux-in on 2000 LS400

There isn't much to see in these photos other than the flawless installation of a push-button on/off switch for the aux-in to the right of the fader **** and the 3.5mm aux-in port (included 6 foot 3.5 mm audio cord plugged into it) installed at the back of the head unit. http://factoryradioservice.com/index.php

Edit: The radio must be set to either FM1 or FM2 for the aux on/off switch to work.

The cost of this deluxe version of the several aux-in formats offered by Factory Radio Service was $85 not including shipping ($15 each way via FedEx) between Kansas and Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

Sound quality is excellent. Although the aux-in is connected to the FM section, sound quality is closer to CD quality. I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between playing my favorite "test song" from a commercial CD and from my phone's memory ... and I've listened to that tune a few hundred times on vinyl, CD and MP3 since the 60's.

I was particularly impressed when how great Pandora sounds through the aux-in connection -- definitely going to have to get a higher capacity data plan for my phone.

The service by Factory Radio Service was fast - they received my radio on a Thursday and shipped it back to me the following Monday. I couldn't be more satisfied.

There were a couple of issues that have nothing to do with the aux-in install: The output level of the audio-out jack on my Samsung Galaxy S3 "Infuse" charging cradle is too low to supply the aux-in. Instead of plugging the aux-in cable permanently into the charging cradle, I instead have to plug the aux-in cable into the top of my phone each time I want to stream audio from it. Not a huge problem but I was looking for "perfect".

And so far, most of the time, my car's electrical system has been emitting too much EMI and/or RFI to charge my phone while listing to audio from it. I've tried ferrite chokes on the phone's micro USB charging cable with no improvement. Any suggestions for suppressing this interference would be appreciated.

Regardess of the current phone charging issue, sliding the charging portion of the cradle downward and away from the phone makes the audio crystal clear.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Radio Service aux-in on 2000 LS400-headunit-with-aux-in-switch.jpg   Factory Radio Service aux-in on 2000 LS400-aux-in-on_off-button.jpg   Factory Radio Service aux-in on 2000 LS400-aux-in-port-on-headunit.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 12-15-12 at 04:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (02-06-18)
Old 12-15-12, 01:18 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Great job!

I've been debating on installing something like this or just using an FM modulator. Maybe
this this

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-15-12 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-15-12, 01:43 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice job! Local, we can have PD go over there and take a factory tour.

Your audio system buttons look clean. Mine are shiny due to the years of pushing on them.
Old 12-15-12, 02:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

From what I understand they're basically using a switched 3/8" stereo jack to reroute some board traces to allow for the aux tap.

When you run it do you have to have the headunit set to tape/FM/CD?
Old 12-15-12, 03:06 PM
door331
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks nice and clean! This next year I am trying to decide what I want to do with my stereo and this just gave me another option.
Old 12-15-12, 03:28 PM
DertyDOH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting....cheaper than a new aftermarket headunit
Old 12-15-12, 03:59 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
When you run it do you have to have the headunit set to tape/FM/CD?
The radio must be set to either FM1 or FM2 for the aux on/off switch to work.

I thought about using a splitter on the aux-in to accept a Bluetooth A2DP adapter in order to stream audio wireless but came to the conclusion there is not much benefit in doing that.
Old 12-15-12, 05:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

I'm surprised they didnt tap the traces for the CD input, but whatever works for them I guess.
Old 12-16-12, 07:48 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

By the way, Factory Radio Service replaced the two backlighting bulbs in my Nak head unit display for an additional $10. The right side bulb was starting to flicker until it warmed up but is now steady even at the lowest rheostat setting.
Old 12-16-12, 10:19 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Attached is a "how-to" for removing the radio in a 2000 LS400 -- also applies to the 98-99 LS400 and probably to the 95-97 LS400 if they have retaining clips holding the center air vents in place. All this information has been supplied before on this forum.
Attached Files

Last edited by Kansas; 02-21-13 at 05:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
clipster (07-07-20)
Old 12-17-12, 01:51 PM
rishi
Rookie

im thinking of doing this, but incorporating this...
Amazon Amazon

in the install....

sweet job by the way. i've been seriously considering something regarding audio this past few weeks...
Old 12-17-12, 07:53 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm surprised they didnt tap the traces for the CD input, but whatever works for them I guess.
I think that would mean the CD player is always spinning while the aux-in is in use/ wouldn't work w/o CDs in the player.

Sounds pretty doable for someone that had some sac to try it out. Anyone want to send me their OEM headunit? lol j/k I don't have time to jack with it, pardon the pun
Old 12-19-12, 06:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by rishi
im thinking of doing this, but incorporating this... http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetoo.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

in the install....

sweet job by the way. i've been seriously considering something regarding audio this past few weeks...
i've been running my Aux-input mod with this much cheaper one from monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 ) for the last 6+months without a hitch
Old 12-20-12, 09:11 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Great job!

I've been debating on installing something like this or just using an FM modulator. Maybe this.
i have the flex smart, and while it works like it says it does, i was not happy at all with the sound quality. The sound itself is ok, but you have to turn the volume way up, and it really lacks any oomph. I'm liking this aux mod- may have to pull my stereo and send it off.
Old 01-02-13, 12:14 AM
rishi
Rookie

i've been running my Aux-input mod with this much cheaper one from monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 ) for the last 6+months without a hitch

That is sweet... the belkin had the phone option though... This is essentially the same thing you worked up on... i have everything to do, just wanted to know about wiring diagrams... check your PM!

thanks!

Quick Reply: Factory Radio Service aux-in on 2000 LS400