LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Installed Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs and did the H3C to H3 conversion....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 09:28 AM
Montalvo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs and did the H3C to H3 conversion....

I installed the Silverstar headlight and foglight bulbs. The are rated at about 4000k. I broke the yellow lens in the foglight lamp and did the H3C to H3 conversion using the Silverstar bulb.

The Silverstar's made a significant difference in the lightning. The difference is very noticable. The Silverstar bulbs in the foglights really light up the ground now. Although Silvertar doesn't make a 168 parking light bulb, I'm going with a PIAA 168 bright white bulb to complement the brightness of the Silverstar bulbs. The entire setup should look evenly lit when done.

Thanks to the tutorials on http://www.lexls.com/
Old 04-04-05, 02:43 PM
yuiou
Driver School Candidate

nice, i also have silverstars but only in my headlights.
post some pics
Old 04-04-05, 03:15 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save the bucks on the PIAA 168, they are just a tad bit brighter, and NOT worth their price at $15/pair +shipping. Go with an ordinary filament Sylvania 921 bulb with 18-21 watts for better lighting whilst cornering at night. Price $1.49/pair
Old 04-04-05, 04:17 PM
Montalvo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ychachad
Save the bucks on the PIAA 168, they are just a tad bit brighter, and NOT worth their price at $15/pair +shipping. Go with an ordinary filament Sylvania 921 bulb with 18-21 watts for better lighting whilst cornering at night. Price $1.49/pair
A 921 bulb can be substituted for a 168?
Old 04-04-05, 10:03 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Montalvo
A 921 bulb can be substituted for a 168?
No, the 921 bulb is much bigger than a 168.

Glad to hear the tutorial helped ya out. Remember that this mod was brought to us by persian and Lexkost and they deserve credit .
Old 04-04-05, 10:18 PM
Montalvo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexLS
No, the 921 bulb is much bigger than a 168.

Glad to hear the tutorial helped ya out. Remember that this mod was brought to us by persian and Lexkost and they deserve credit .
Thanks! So there is no substitute for the 168 period? Can the wiring connection be changed to accomodate a 921 bulb? I want a bulb that is bright and white enough to match the Silverstars.

I know this may be a stupid question, but changing out the connection to fit an H3 bulb would be blinding to other drivers right? Too bright?

If I can't find anything that matches, I may just use an amber bulb.
Old 04-04-05, 10:35 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! So there is no substitute for the 168 period? Can the wiring connection be changed to accomodate a 921 bulb? I want a bulb that is bright and white enough to match the Silverstars.

I know this may be a stupid question, but changing out the connection to fit an H3 bulb would be blinding to other drivers right? Too bright?

If I can't find anything that matches, I may just use an amber bulb.
Ehhh, I think 157 bulbs work...don't mess with the wiring harness period.

Don't change the harness for H3. First off that's gonna take some time and creativity to make that bulb fit, but also it would be too bright for a side lamp.

I just live with having multi colored white bulbs. A good match was a white LED bulb, but I got pulled over for that quickly (looked "blue")....almost a huge ticket.... If there was an easy way to just turn off the parking side lamps, not the lower ones..... Someone else will have to figure out if that works and how; I'm too busy.
Old 04-04-05, 10:41 PM
Montalvo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexLS
Ehhh, I think 157 bulbs work...don't mess with the wiring harness period.

Don't change the harness for H3. First off that's gonna take some time and creativity to make that bulb fit, but also it would be too bright for a side lamp.

I just live with having multi colored white bulbs. A good match was a white LED bulb, but I got pulled over for that quickly (looked "blue")....almost a huge ticket.... If there was an easy way to just turn off the parking side lamps, not the lower ones..... Someone else will have to figure out if that works and how; I'm too busy.

Gotcha. Thanks. I'll pick up a 157 and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I'm going with ambers for the time being.
Old 04-04-05, 11:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Excuse my confusion..marker light is the amber lens on the bumper...parking is the clear lens on the corner next to the headlight...?

Well, whatever the clear one is next to the headlight, I have 921's in mine. Sylvania list a 2825 as the replacement but when I took mine out, it had a 194.

If the 921 fits, if not, you have spares for the high mount stop.

Last edited by RA40; 04-04-05 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-05-05, 12:05 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Excuse my confusion..marker light is the amber lens on the bumper...parking is the clear lens on the corner next to the headlight...?
You're right on the money Mike.
Old 04-05-05, 12:15 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed the Silverstar headlight and foglight bulbs.
The Silverstar's made a significant difference in the lightning. The difference is very noticable.
Great. Unfortunately the SilverStar has very short service life according to Sylvania. So have a budget to replace them more often. (LS owners got $$$, right?)

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...on/default.htm

Also those Sylvania light photos look suspiciously fake. They look like somebody put another flood light ahead of the headlight pattern. And they all look like the same photo with photoshop brightness filter work.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 04-05-05 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-05-05, 04:44 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Yes, the 921 bulb is bigger at the top, but it has the identical base (electrical connection) as the 168 or 194. The hole in the clear corner lens is big enough so that the bulb can easily pass through. I have them in in both my gen 1 and gen 2. Absolutely no modification is required. Go forth.
As RA40 has also stated, and we have discussed this before in another thread, it will fit.

Last edited by ychachad; 04-05-05 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-05-05, 08:25 AM
Montalvo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys.

I tried a search and didn't find the thread.

I called my local store and I'm picking up a set of PIAA 19224 (921) Extreme White bulbs this morning. I think this is what the doctor ordered.

I had the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs in my Lightning for about 2 years and never had a problem. If they last me that long on the Lexus, I'd say they did their job.
Old 04-05-05, 10:30 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

I have had Sylvania Silverstars 9004 since 1999, yes 1999, and both are still running strong. I first had them on my Infiniti G20, and I took them off and put them on my 1992 LS 2 years ago, before I sold the Infiniti. Yes, the Sylvania were released in Germany as Osram Ultra White Silverstar way back then before they came to the US. I remember paying $100+ for a pair then!!!! I have put over 100k miles on them, and most of the time I run with my lights on (like DRL). Those things will last forever.
Old 04-05-05, 10:40 AM
Montalvo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ychachad
I have had Sylvania Silverstars 9004 since 1999, yes 1999, and both are still running strong. I first had them on my Infiniti G20, and I took them off and put them on my 1992 LS 2 years ago, before I sold the Infiniti. Yes, the Sylvania were released in Germany as Osram Ultra White Silverstar way back then before they came to the US. I remember paying $100+ for a pair then!!!! I have put over 100k miles on them, and most of the time I run with my lights on (like DRL). Those things will last forever.

Nice! What wedge lights were you running? I was about to pick up a set of PIAA 19224. I was told they would give me the closest match. Your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Installed Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs and did the H3C to H3 conversion....