LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'98 LS400 audio upgrade. .. ... ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 03:13 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default '98 LS400 audio upgrade. .. ... ...

I'm currently upgrading the sound system in my Lex. Ive got all the bits... 90 watts RMS per 5 channel Options Audio amp, 70 watts RMS JBL front splits, Response 50 watts RMS rear door, Pioneer 200 watt parcel shelf sub woofer, Sound Stream digital processor, heavy 4 gauge power cable for amp mounted in boot.
Yesterday, i took out the front speaker boxes and covered them with this stuff called 'Dynamat'. Its this stick on sound deadening material. I covered both sides and put an extra layer on the inside behind each speaker... The guy at the car audio shop told me to use it and..... WOW !!! What a difference it made. I can turn the volume up probably 25% extra before distortion.... The stock speakers really punch now, it's really made a surprising difference... It's like ive just put in a bigger amp and bigger speakers This is really good news, because it means when I get the new system installed next week, it's gunna be much, much better than if the speaker boxes were left uncovered. Woo Hoo !!!!! Getting excited !!!

PS: Over the next few weks i'm going to make some 6"x9" speaker enclosers and fit them up on the parcel shelf.... I'll get a pair of 100 watt RMS JBL or JL Audio.... I think the sound system would be better with parcel shelf rear's rather than rear door.... although if i can, i'll wire it up so i can use both..... I want it to sound like i'm sitting in a concert hall.....
Attached Thumbnails '98 LS400 audio upgrade. .. ... ...-gun-speaker-system5-001.jpg   '98 LS400 audio upgrade. .. ... ...-gun-speaker-system3-003.jpg   '98 LS400 audio upgrade. .. ... ...-dynamat-speaker-boxes-006.jpg  
Old 09-12-12, 09:38 AM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sick setup!
Old 09-12-12, 10:44 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

i am no audiophile but if you want it to sound like a concert hall, putting speakers on the rear deck (shelf) is not really ideal. plan where you will be seated, of course i'd assume in the drivers seat and plan the speakers accordingly. the rear speakers will just add delay in my opinion.

i would concentrate on the front speakers mainly, both mid range and high. most audio builds i see, where the goal is to not sound good outside the car but only sound good to the driver, involves only the front speaker components and rear low end (subs). rear speakers are mainly for rear passengers. my $0.02 .
Old 09-12-12, 11:35 AM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you using the stock head unit or perhaps you previously swapped that out?
Old 09-13-12, 02:33 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phlorida
Are you using the stock head unit or perhaps you previously swapped that out?
Yep... stock head unit and CD changer....
Old 09-13-12, 03:04 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i am no audiophile but if you want it to sound like a concert hall, putting speakers on the rear deck (shelf) is not really ideal. plan where you will be seated, of course i'd assume in the drivers seat and plan the speakers accordingly. the rear speakers will just add delay in my opinion.

i would concentrate on the front speakers mainly, both mid range and high. most audio builds i see, where the goal is to not sound good outside the car but only sound good to the driver, involves only the front speaker components and rear low end (subs). rear speakers are mainly for rear passengers. my $0.02 .
Interesting your coments on the rear parcel shelf speakers.... My guess was if there's gunna be 2 speakers in the back doors, why not put them on the parcel shelf and have them pointing straight ahead, not flush like most are... Funny thing, with all due respect, is that everyone has a different opinion about the rear speakers... I even thought of using 6x9" splits, but i literaly have no money so i have to do everything as good as i can as cheap as i can and 6x9" splits are like $250 and my budget is $80 tops.....
Anyway, the rears will be getting installed in the rear doors so we'll see how they sound.
Ive ordered another 2 sheets of Dynamat so i'll cover both the rear speaker boxes too...
This system's gunna kick **** ! !! !!!
Attached Thumbnails '98 LS400 audio upgrade. .. ... ...-dynamat-speaker-boxes-009.jpg   '98 LS400 audio upgrade. .. ... ...-dynamat-speaker-boxes-010.jpg  

Last edited by fastegg; 09-13-12 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 06:37 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's simple. When you sit at a concert hall, do the performers in front of you or behind you?
Rear fill is useless. Look at all the winners of any SQ competition. 99% don't have rear speakers.
Old 09-16-12, 09:23 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Default Speaker confusion...

Originally Posted by Schnitz
It's simple. When you sit at a concert hall, do the performers in front of you or behind you?
Rear fill is useless. Look at all the winners of any SQ competition. 99% don't have rear speakers.
Really... no speakers on the parcel shelf ?.... I had no idea.... So would you surgest really good strong splits in the front doors and reasonable speakers in the back doors and leave the sub where it is on the parcel shelf. So basically just replace everything with what i can afford and don't change the position of anything......
Which is exactly what i'm doing........ So forget my grand plans of parcel shelf speakers..
OK, will do.... The car goes in tomorrow to get everything installed.

At present i'm putting Jaycar Response 2 way 50 watt RMS in the rear doors. I'm using them as i always thought i'd be putting parcel shelf 6x9's.... but now i'm thinking of using a pair of JL's instead... There's these ones on ebay... what do you think of these ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221125221415
Old 09-16-12, 09:26 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Default Is bigger better ?

Originally Posted by Schnitz
At present the front door speakers are 5.25". should i be happy with that size or would you surgest using bigger ones ?
And would you go to the expence of using splits in the rear doors ? Like, would the difference be noticable ?

Last edited by fastegg; 09-16-12 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-25-12, 11:55 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Default '98 LS400 Audio system up grade

Well the sound system upgrade is up and running... or should i say UP AND PUMPING !!!!! and may i say, its fkn unreal.... When its turned up full, it makes your skeleton vibrate, you can feel the air pumping on your face......
On the weekend i did a 700km drive up to see my mother and on the way, after several hours of listening to it with the volume up top key, the music stopped... i got out and checked the amp (as its in the boot) and the amp was so hot i thought it was gunna catch fire, so i went to Jaycar to look at heat sinks and bugger me, the 2 largest ones they had fitted my amp perfectly !!! Woo- Hoo....
As you can see from the photo ive stuck 4 on... 2 would have been ample but 4 looked mean & beefy... and 4 big, heavy heat sinks looks the bizz
Attached Thumbnails '98 LS400 audio upgrade. .. ... ...-amp-pictures-004.jpg   '98 LS400 audio upgrade. .. ... ...-amp-pictures-002.jpg  

Last edited by fastegg; 09-25-12 at 12:58 PM. Reason: '98 LS400 Audio Upgrade