LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel gauge sending unit in tk '92 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 02:12 PM
jerryparks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge sending unit in tk '92 LS400

Need to know how to remove the sending unit in the tank to clean contacts
as indicated in another post. Procedure was not clear. Where are the contacts? ON what part? I have removed the two plates on the gas tank
and am unable to ascertain what to do next. My gas gauge is not recording the correct gas level reading.
Old 09-28-10, 03:43 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

did you see this?
http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...tml?1098762938
Old 09-28-10, 04:10 PM
jerryparks
Driver

Yep, I saw that post. I dont think it will work on my car. The car shown
in the tutorial is another brand auto. I think I will take the grey cover down in the truck and see if that gives a better view. I already have the
rear seat back and the two tank plates off. Another post I saw inferred
that you accessed it though the plates behind the rear seat back. After viewing the inside of the tank, I dont think this is the correct method to service the fuel sending unit. In fact, after viewing many other posts on this subject, I think I will post a step by step procedure on this operation when and if I succeed in correcting my fuel gauge problem. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-30-10, 07:23 PM
fencera
Rookie

Originally Posted by jerryparks
Yep, I saw that post. I dont think it will work on my car. The car shown
in the tutorial is another brand auto. I think I will take the grey cover down in the truck and see if that gives a better view. I already have the
rear seat back and the two tank plates off. Another post I saw inferred
that you accessed it though the plates behind the rear seat back. After viewing the inside of the tank, I dont think this is the correct method to service the fuel sending unit. In fact, after viewing many other posts on this subject, I think I will post a step by step procedure on this operation when and if I succeed in correcting my fuel gauge problem. Thanks for the tip!
Hey, this is how I fixed my fuel gauge problem.

From memory...

1. removed the trunk lining covering access to the gas tank sensor cover
2. removed the plate that is then exposed with about 6 screws.
3. disconnected the two connectors mounted to the plate (gas sensor and empty warning light)
4. Carefully removed the assembly out of the tank.
5. the assembly that has a float attached to a rotating arm-- that's the one to clean
6. pop apart the plastic box that houses the hinge for the float arm... inside you'll see a resistor printed on a circuit board that the float arm swings against making contact and sending a signal to the instrument cluster. Clean this board and the contacts off.
7. put it all back together...

This has nothing to do with the fuel pump that is accessed through the back seat. (Getting a day subscription to TIS and downloading the car's complete manual might be helpful. It's pretty cheap.)

I still eventually replacing the entire sensor/arm assembly, but this did extend the life of the unit and give me accurate gas levels for about a year.

good luck.

ps make sure your gas tank isn't full when you do this or you will spill fuel everywhere when you open the tank panel!