LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

No Spark, No inj Pulse, no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 02:56 PM
BUCKETASS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark, No inj Pulse, no start

And check eng light just flashes in diag mode.

Car towed in, cranks..no start. No Injector pulse, No spark.

Have power to injectors but no ground. Replaced ecm.. still same thing.

Ohm'd M.A.F. sensor at terminals THA/E2 and have 2k-3k (Komhs) but goes to -7k while cranking.

But we do have cold start injector pulse...

Replaced both ignitors (used)
replaced ecm (used)
both caps/rotors new
both cam sensors and crank speed sensor.

Have performed all continuity checks to and from all sensors but still have no ground to injectors and both coils...

anybody else run into a no start like this?
Old 12-03-08, 07:00 PM
cation
Rookie

If I was you I would trace down the the cause for the bad grounds. Take a look at your IGN and EFI fuses and Relays to make sure they are functional.

Here's a silly question: Did you read the ECU trouble codes since your CEL is flashing? This could further clue you in to the problem if you haven't already done this.

Did you check for continuity in the ground wires from from the coils to the igniters? In my 93' FSM it shows connector ED2 between coil 1 and ignitor 1, I wonder if this connector could be the cause of your problem... If there is a short in that circuit it may be shutting down the rest of your ignition and fuel system as a fail safe. Just a thought...

I hate electrical gremlins.

Send me a PM if you'd like and I'd be glad to try and help you out...
Old 12-04-08, 07:43 AM
BUCKETASS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cation
If I was you I would trace down the the cause for the bad grounds. Take a look at your IGN and EFI fuses and Relays to make sure they are functional.

Here's a silly question: Did you read the ECU trouble codes since your CEL is flashing? This could further clue you in to the problem if you haven't already done this.

Did you check for continuity in the ground wires from from the coils to the igniters? In my 93' FSM it shows connector ED2 between coil 1 and ignitor 1, I wonder if this connector could be the cause of your problem... If there is a short in that circuit it may be shutting down the rest of your ignition and fuel system as a fail safe. Just a thought...

I hate electrical gremlins.

Send me a PM if you'd like and I'd be glad to try and help you out...
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I checked the continuity between the coils and ignitors.

All fuses and relays are good as I function tested those as well...

The check engine light just flashes.. not in a code giving sequence, just flashes on/off all the time.

I've checked all the ground junctions as well.. all of them on the car.

I even had our key guy come verify that it's not the security system causing this.

I even removed the ignition switch and function tested it...

I think the customer is burnt..

I've been doing this for 20 years and am an A.S.E. Certified Master Tech with L-1 Cert as well.

First car ever in my career that I can't figure out.... guess it only took 20 years

time to retire now.... hahahaa

would have been alot easier if this was an obdII car for sure..

if you think of anything else let me know please..
Old 12-04-08, 08:29 AM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its the immobilizer (security).
Have you tried connecting spark ground directly to +ve terminal of batt? How about Injectors? Is battery bad? Ecu bad? Major electrical short somewhere?

still think its the immobilizer.
Old 12-04-08, 09:34 AM
BUCKETASS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bali26
I think its the immobilizer (security).
Have you tried connecting spark ground directly to +ve terminal of batt? How about Injectors? Is battery bad? Ecu bad? Major electrical short somewhere?

still think its the immobilizer.
Please read first 3 posts..
Old 12-04-08, 10:47 AM
cation
Rookie

Originally Posted by BUCKETASS
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I checked the continuity between the coils and ignitors.

All fuses and relays are good as I function tested those as well...

The check engine light just flashes.. not in a code giving sequence, just flashes on/off all the time.

I've checked all the ground junctions as well.. all of them on the car.

I even had our key guy come verify that it's not the security system causing this.

I even removed the ignition switch and function tested it...

I think the customer is burnt..

I've been doing this for 20 years and am an A.S.E. Certified Master Tech with L-1 Cert as well.

First car ever in my career that I can't figure out.... guess it only took 20 years

time to retire now.... hahahaa

would have been alot easier if this was an obdII car for sure..

if you think of anything else let me know please..
I'm sure you've already done it, but what about checking the coils themselves for an internal short? Couldn't hurt to try swapping those out at this point either. The flashing CEL has to mean something... Have you got on TIS to try and search for a solution to the problem?

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...l=ti_home_page

It's like $10 per day, but you have access to EVERYTHING technically related to Toyota cars and trucks.

I'm curious to find the solution to your problem and will try to do more research myself once I'm home from work. Good luck bud!
Old 12-04-08, 02:59 PM
BUCKETASS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cation
I'm sure you've already done it, but what about checking the coils themselves for an internal short? Couldn't hurt to try swapping those out at this point either. The flashing CEL has to mean something... Have you got on TIS to try and search for a solution to the problem?

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...l=ti_home_page

It's like $10 per day, but you have access to EVERYTHING technically related to Toyota cars and trucks.

I'm curious to find the solution to your problem and will try to do more research myself once I'm home from work. Good luck bud!
yeah we tried the coils themselves as well..

I called a buddy of mine that used to work for Toyota drivability dept at a dealer here in town. He says it's the harness is probably smoked somewhere..

He gave me Toyota T.A.N. phone # and dealer code... those guys are rec a harness as well..

I also looked under the intake today to find a new starter had been installed... nobody said anything about that, that info would have been useful days ago...

so off with the intake looking for crushed wires... nothing. Put it all back together and crossed my fingers hoping it would start... no dice!

Car got pushed out today, cust doesn't even want it back with 240,000 miles.. to the dirt it goes!

Thanks for all the help and replies..
Old 12-04-08, 03:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

....i might be interested in it.
Old 12-05-08, 05:29 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

what year is the car? obd1 or 2?
Old 12-11-08, 08:33 AM
xsc2003
Driver School Candidate

I've got a car with the same or similiar problem. I have put a new fuel pump, F/P Relay, EFI Relay, Ohm'd Transmitter, Injectors have power, has spark. All it does is sit there and turn over. The fuel pump isn't even kicking on. I can straight wire the fuel pump and the fuel pump will run. I've also tried to start the car this way and it want run like that. But if you spray ether into the throttle body the car wants to run. I've trace wires for days to look for any cuts, slash's, knicks or anything, and I couldn't find one. I've replace fuses and relays like there going outta style. I dont know anything else to do.
Old 03-20-11, 05:09 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump, I Also need help, cant seem to get the car to turn over, BTW, isnt the wiring harness 2 pieces?
Old 12-08-14, 06:59 PM
rohan9602
Driver School Candidate

Default need help,. same issue.

Trying to fix my 2000 rx300.
same situation you discribed.
has spark, fuel pump working. injector has power but its not grounding through ECM
what did you end up replacing in your case ?
Please let me know ASAP.
thanx,.
Have a nice day.
Old 12-08-14, 09:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Not familiar with the RX and in the absence of readable error codes, leads me to this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html

Can be other possibilities those symptoms do come on gradually indicating there are problems.
Old 12-09-14, 02:43 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

No signal to injectors, either faulty ECU, or sensor or path that gives the ecu the timing signal.

Helpful idea.....