LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

p/s help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 03:16 PM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation p/s help

i was told my p/s pressure hose was leaking fluid. so i got it fixed. now i know about the idle control valve issues and read the p/s bible. after the replacement its still leaking. i dunno if its the valve or something else. please help.
i do have white smoke on startup and the pump whines when i turn corners. after replacement, the car turned fine...for a day. then it leaked again. the nearest lexus mechanic is far north and all the smaller auto shops w/ lex-mechs are further south than i could travel. by the way, these are the cheaper avenues to go.

i need help on diagnosis someone
Old 04-02-08, 03:20 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What have you had done exactly?

New pump? New ACV? Plugged ACV? Just a hose?

I would definitely plug you ACV -- Have a mechanic do it if you aren't mechanically inclined. Tell him to plug it and cap off/plug the vaccum lines as well. This will stop your white smoke on startup, and thus the leak through the ACV.

I would do this first, and judge any further troubles/leaks afterwords.
Old 04-02-08, 03:27 PM
MELVINA
Driver School Candidate

Default p/s help

I need a high power steering hose for a 1994 ls400. how much did you pay for your hose and how much did it cost. most places I have checked it cost over 300.00.

thanks
Old 04-02-08, 03:37 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

They aren't cheap.

Carson is high on the web. I'd check with Sewell -- www.sewellpartsonline.com

*Edit -- Sewell has a new web address,.. www.sewellpartsonline.com as shown above. Re-bookmark it

For some reason I'm thinking you can find them about $200. But for instance, Carson has it for 450$+.

Is your HP hose leaking?

Last edited by Neofate; 04-03-08 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-03-08, 04:31 AM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MELVINA
I need a high power steering hose for a 1994 ls400. how much did you pay for your hose and how much did it cost. most places I have checked it cost over 300.00.

thanks
go to www.*****************.com the p/s hose is $200 plus shipping. next day air is $45 and reg shipping is like $5.
Old 04-03-08, 04:36 AM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Neofate
What have you had done exactly?

New pump? New ACV? Plugged ACV? Just a hose?

I would definitely plug you ACV -- Have a mechanic do it if you aren't mechanically inclined. Tell him to plug it and cap off/plug the vaccum lines as well. This will stop your white smoke on startup, and thus the leak through the ACV.

I would do this first, and judge any further troubles/leaks afterwords.
just had the hose done. next step is the ACV, but need a mechanic that knows more about my car than I do. I talked to the mechanics that fixed my hose and they looked like they didn't know what I was talking about so... I think they knew the basics on my car or something... I dunno.
Old 04-03-08, 07:38 AM
dacecil
Rookie

Default p/s help

I recently fixed the IAC valve on my 93 LS. I read the bible on here and first decided to replace the entire valve with a plug. It's pipe thread and I found a piece that fit the hole, but it wouldn't go in far enough to seal, even with teflon tape. Then I disassembled the IAC valve and welded up the back side. That still leaked. I took it off and welded some more. Really layered on some weld this time. Put it back in and no leaks. Problem fixed. You don't really need an expensive mechanic for this job, just some patience. It can be difficult to get to the valve. But, just break the plastic vacuum hose attachments off it and it's much easier.

If you're not a welder, just take it to a welding shop and explain what you want done.

On the hoses, most parts stores make hoses. Just take your old one in and they will remove the fittings and reinstall them on fresh hoses.

Good luck,

Dale
Old 04-03-08, 08:36 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Dale,.

You did exactly what I did, I even wrote a guide with pictures of the weld -- I'm suprised you had to weld twice though, guess it depends on the welder and rod you were using.

Anyhow,..

Yes it is often frustrating to bring your car in after reading this forum,.. because this forum is specifically for the LS 400, your car,.. we have all the little details on the little specific problems for JUST that car. Not that no other car has an IACV , but its not something a mechanic does all day. Especially taking it off and plugging it.

You'd probably have better luck telling him to put a new one in... More pricey but it would still work, and you'd still have that small function (which was pointless to put on the car imo).

Nonetheless.. Dale is right there is nothing to doing it yourself,.. Or if you can find a friend who is mechanically inclined,.. maybe does his oil changes, changes his brakes -- Take my guide, the power steering bible.. and whatever you know and make a day of it.

It is really a very simple procedure,.. that a mechanic shouldn't charge you more than a hour of labor for, and shouldn't take a shadetree more than a couple.
Old 04-03-08, 08:35 PM
dacecil
Rookie

Default Neofate

Hey Neofate, It must have been from your post that I got the idea to weld the original valve. I read it on here somewhere. I think that is the best solution because if welded properly (it took me two tries, but as you said, it took you one) the original plug is guaranteed to fit back in the p/s pump.

I really like my car. The best driving 15 year old 130k miles car I've ever driven.
Old 04-03-08, 09:44 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Thats cool. Makes you feel good when you do something different and someone else try's it and it works out for them -- I actually popped the weld twice, but did it one after the other before trying to put the fab'd plug in. It just made the most logical sense to me, couldn't get a better fit, and gaurantee of no leak, not to mention gaurantee of putting another ACV on there if you needed to for some reason.

Mine is about the same age, but 100k more miles.. and yup, its the best ride I've ever had despite miles on any car.