LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Idle up valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-16, 08:52 PM
Cp2295
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Idle up valve

hey everyone new to the forum, just picked up a really nice 96 ls400 this week for $1300. Got 222k and runs really smooth and nice. Anyways I bought it for so cheap because it smoked really bad, but it was white and smelled like ATF so I knew it wasn't valve seals/piston rings or head gaskets so I picked her up. Anyways I did some research and found out about the idle up valve and sure enough the vac line was full of ATF. So I looped the two together with a small chunk of hose, and capped off the vac ports. Now it no longer smoke shows on startup or sucks thru ps fluid, however at idle it still smokes pretty good, and still smells like ATF. Just wondering if it takes a while for the residue to burn out of the exhaust system, as it's been 3 days and 200 miles since I fixed the leak and still does it. Thanks
Old 11-17-16, 10:08 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

What did you do with the air control valve? Did you just connect the two vacuum lines and leave it at that? You need to either plug the hole in the power steering pump or replace the ACV.

Its plausible that you are still burning off residual fluid.
Old 11-17-16, 10:25 PM
Cp2295
Rookie

I connected the two ports on the idle up valve together with a small chunk of hose, no longer lose power steering fluid and hear no odd noises. Also noticed no difference in handling so I don't think I have done Anything wrong there...
Old 11-18-16, 02:03 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If the valve is leaking just pushing the small lines on it won't stop it, since it is under pressure. I had a diy to just remove the small plunger in it and replace the o rings.
I had to use a special bolt in one of mine because the brass contact nipple inside the seat in the port in the pump was messed up and the small piston or plunger was broke in 2 pieces other wise I would have just replaced the orings. Using an oring kit from harbor freight.
With the lines off there is no other way for transmission fluid to get in the engine.
Old 11-18-16, 04:48 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Yea, connecting the two hoses together isn't going to stop the valve from leaking. It will just leak into the alternator now.
Old 11-18-16, 08:08 AM
enchilada
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this fix to my newly acquired 92 LS400!

You'll have to remove the valve completely and plug the PS pump. If you only loop a hose from the two nipples on the valve, fluid will continue to leak from the valve itself and drip onto your alternator (I swapped out the alternator last night - holy hell). I went to Napa and got a short drain plug, wrapped it in teflon tape, and put it in. No more ATF leaking from my PS pump!

Pro tip: getting the valve out is ridiculous. I could not do it from the top. I had to do it from the bottom, and I did it with a 17mm box end wrench. I had to use a grinder to cut off about 2" of the wrench, also had to grind of the sides of the box-end so I could get the wrench in that tight space with enough room to break the valve free.

Last edited by enchilada; 11-18-16 at 08:10 AM. Reason: engrish
Old 11-18-16, 10:16 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You've definitely solved the problem of the PS fluid (ATF) from getting into the intake. So I expect the residual will eventually go away. Also, since the car is new to you, don't be worried if you see a little "white smoke" coming out of the exhaust when it is cold and idling. Depending on air temp + humidity, that is normal for these cars. It is mostly condensing water vapor - you may be able to tell whether it seems to vanish (evaporating droplets of condensed water vapor) vs. drifts away (smoke).

I agree with others on the pump-end repair you did. The PS fluid on the other side of that hose will be at high pressure, and eventually it will accumulate and break through whatever hoses, clamps, etc. you put on there. It will then leak just like it did before, except onto the alternator. If you're looking for a cheap repair, you can remove the valve and put an equivalent threaded bolt in there as a plug.
Old 11-18-16, 10:39 AM
Cp2295
Rookie

Okay thanks for the tips guys, I'll plug it off. Just wanted to see everyone's thoughts on the residual fluid, it does it whether it's hot or cold that's what concerned me. and it most definitely is ATF because it still smells awful haha
Old 11-19-16, 01:26 PM
Cp2295
Rookie

Well the smoking has finally gone away! Funny how it happened right after I posted this thread, now to plug the pump properly and do a tranny service and she should be good to go, thanks for the replies