LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Those with stock K&N filter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 10:38 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with stock K&N filter.

Are you satisfied with the "performance" of it? Have you gained any more hp or mpg that you can personally state? I want to get one, but am satisfied with the Lexkost mod with the stock filter, air induction is alot louder. If I add a K&N will the air intake sound get even louder?
Old 02-15-08, 01:09 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Good question. It could go either way. The noise is coming from the resistance and harmonics created by the wind/air vacuum through the pores in your current filter.

A K&N is reportedly about the same as not having one on Gas mileage. Some people report a drastic increase in MPG, and a few horsepower. But to be honest, no one, I don't care who you are, can feel 1-2Horsepower change out of 260+ HP. But, it is a good filter, I like them personally.

Back to the sound question.. I'm sure your asking this because you think the K&N allows more air in, thus it has larger 'holes' so to speak, and this will make the sound louder.

I think it is quite possible the sound will either stay exactly the same, or deaden down due to the resistance being slackened a touch.

Of course there is always the possibility of it getting louder, but I wouldn't anticipate much.

Besides, the K&N is about the cheapest mod for any car,.. Buy one and try it out. Buy it locally if possible,.. then if it is louder take it back and say it didn't fit, etc. Get your money back. If it isn't possible to find one locally -- Then you 'might' be able to do the same online, but shipping will not be worth it I imagine.

How much have you priced the filter out so far? I might could help you find a better price.
Old 02-15-08, 05:17 AM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
How much have you priced the filter out so far? I might could help you find a better price.
About $55 + shipping on the internet only. I would never find one locally, the demand for that round shaped filter is not too popular here.
Old 02-15-08, 09:24 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Thats about right -- There is bound to be another forum member who has the exposed K&N on their lexus.. They could tell you from first hand experience if it will be 'loud'.

We have 60 people viewing the 'LS' area as I type this.. And this is far from primetime.

Maybe search for K&N on ls 400 -- And PM anyone who seems to have it.
Old 02-15-08, 09:37 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have it..only if u have the open airbox mod then you'll prob notice that it is louder but really that is the only thing that is noticeable unless your car is extremely modded then maybe you will see some horsepower gains...
Old 02-15-08, 10:06 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about doing the "open airbox" mod, or "BFI". Are there any negative affects to doing this?

also I've heard with the BFI intake mod a K&N doesn't do much at all.
Old 02-15-08, 10:06 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
i have it..only if u have the open airbox mod then you'll prob notice that it is louder but really that is the only thing that is noticeable unless your car is extremely modded then maybe you will see some horsepower gains...

Originally Posted by Original Poster
but am satisfied with the Lexkost mod with the stock filter, air induction is alot louder.
Hrmm -- I can't tell if that lexkost mod is open box or not. If stock filter it would almost seem like it would have to be closed.

So if it is closed, then I would anticipate it staying the same, or even quietening down some.

Of course horsepower gains are minimal to null (you really have to open up the breathing across the entire car to notice an air filter) -- But its good for longevity and maybe a HAIR of gas mileage.
Old 02-15-08, 10:10 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

BFI certainly does work...but mostly for the SC's. because if you was to make a BFI for the LS then you would have to relocate some parts that are sitting next to the wheel well so u are able to drill a hole and fit a duct into there behind the front fascia.

also...for the 1gen ls....theres no openings in the bumper below the sidemarkers (look at my sig)
Old 02-15-08, 10:15 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would it be ok for a 2nd gen? I don't really want to cut holes in my fender and stuff. Would it still work? Or do i NEED to put a duct in
Old 02-15-08, 10:21 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not the pro on the BFI.. but just logically -- You aren't force feeding the air into the intake as is. So , no, no ducting or holes are necessary on second gen,.. But are recommended. I *Believe* you have an opening you can access down towards the edges of the bumper cover for an intake, that will have a 'ram/mass air effect' -- That faster you go , ie: down the highway, the more pronounced the HP gain is due to the air being forced at X MPH into the plenum you route.

That is always a great concept, imo.. And that is where real MPG savings actually are noticed.

But, I"ll step aside for those who know about BFI expertly.
Old 02-15-08, 10:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

in essence, it works a touch better than the ~3sq in. opening from the factory BUT it could be improved by cutting into stuff and opening up a pathway for air.