Sponsored by:

Stereo setup advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 01:46 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stereo setup advice.

Hey guys, So i have build a few basic systems in the past but never really paid much attention to any of the specifics of direction of the sub(s) or port tuning. Basically looked up the specs and built the smallest sealed box that fit into the space I had while still meeting specs.... And with the parts i had lying around from previous projects, it worked pretty well. However, that was always on Hatches and never on a sedan. With my 96 LS400, I'm starting to grow weary of the stock system and the need to use a tape adaptor to run my iPhone/ipod.

So it's getting close to a full build. I'm not dead set on anything but the amps and want to run a pair of 10" subs.

Right now I'm looking at Sundown Audio SAX 100.4 V2 and SAZ 1200D amps and most likely a pair of SA-10 D2 subs. Sundown stuff seems to have some of the best reviews I have found and the specs/price are hard to best!

I'm going to base the system around my iPad and a custom mounting system, that I'm working on, which will float in front of the stock deck location and rotate over to the passengers left knee as well. I'm going to pull the stock HU and the stock CD changer, and mount the new deck where the changer was, in the glove box. my previous systems were setup like this because I prefer to control my music through the device and HATE trying to control my mobile device through all of the decks I have played with. They are too slow, displays and search functions are not nearly as crisp as the device and whats the point when the sound is not much better than when run through a high end Headphone-RCA adaptor cable rather than a USB.

One of the things I am looking for is a fully featured single Din Deck in the sub $400 range, that has excellent sound processing, time correction, a rear RCA input, a rear USB input, and at least three >4V-pre-outs. Any suggestions?
One that has caught my eye is the Pioneer DEH-80PRS, I have always liked the Alpine simplicity but it seems like they really want you to operate your device through their system, which is something i don't want to do and I haven't seen a deck that has the features i'm after.

All that said....

What I'm really interested in what is the best orientation for the best possible sounding system as far as SQ goes, on these big body sedans? I have seen lots of pics of rear pointing subs along the setbacks/fuel tank, a bunch of setups facing each other on either side of the trunk either directly-facing or angled upwards, as wells a few mounted in the spare tire well. The subs i listed above only require .5cu-ft of space for sealed and 1-1.5cu-ft for ported. I plan to mount everything around the perimeter of the trunk area and use the spare tire well for the air system that I am currently piecing together.

And because it will get asked, I typically listen to a mix of hiphop and rock with a bit more of a bias towards hiphop. I'm not looking for ground crushing bass or to enter into an SPL comp so I don't really care if it will hit crazy db's or not. I do want it to go loud, have a lot more bass than stock but it must be crystal clear at the same time.... And look good. But with a little work, i could also take a prefab box like this: https://www.woofersetc.com/p-3529-st...truck-box.aspx and make it look good with a little MDF and some of the tricks from this guy: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4FiN46mPTtkJxzRXJY21lQ
My original plan was opposing in a sealed, angled up in a fibreglass tubbed box on either side and the amps along the back of the fuel tank to maximize space but after poking around, I'm not sure if thats the best idea...

I have been doing a lot of research, but am stumped on what to do from this point on... Sealed? Ported? Rear facing? Opposing angled up? Opposing directly facing? If ported, port facing sides, back, up through the stock sub hole?

Cheers for the advice/help.
Old 12-18-13, 11:01 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 12-19-13, 05:06 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

sundown is an awesome product( i installed 2-8"s last week that rocked louder than 2-12's JL w6's).. sounds like your off to a good start.. just make sure u buy 100% copper wire not (cca: copper clad/colored aluminum) keep us posted on your progress

fyi sundowns like a large ported enclosure if u have the room, i'd open the rear deck and load the box straight up off the rear window.... woofers and port (vent) on the same plane (meaning whatever direction the woofers face have the vent facing the same direction )and i say vent (rectangular verses circular port as round ports add more noise)

Last edited by Shibumi1; 12-19-13 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 12:44 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
sundown is an awesome product( i installed 2-8"s last week that rocked louder than 2-12's JL w6's).. sounds like your off to a good start.. just make sure u buy 100% copper wire not (cca: copper clad/colored aluminum) keep us posted on your progress

fyi sundowns like a large ported enclosure if u have the room, i'd open the rear deck and load the box straight up off the rear window.... woofers and port (vent) on the same plane (meaning whatever direction the woofers face have the vent facing the same direction )and i say vent (rectangular verses circular port as round ports add more noise)

interesting, Sundown only states 1-1.5 Cu-ft required when ported for these subs, which is fairly small.... Isn't it?

The reading i did, stated that with such a low frequency wave coming from a non-directional source, the direction of the port won't make much difference in the sound.

i took some rough measurements, played around in WinISD and Sketchup, and camp up with this box. The subs face the rear with the port venting through the stock subwoofer hole.
Old 12-20-13, 12:46 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx3tuning/11469158606/http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx3tuning/11469158606/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/zx3tuning/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx3tuning/11469048245/http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx3tuning/11469048245/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/zx3tuning/, on Flickr
Old 12-26-13, 06:52 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, I expected so much more input and feedback on here about this.
Old 12-26-13, 10:42 PM
sennett0r
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out diyma forums. Much more traffic there for car audio.
Old 12-27-13, 12:38 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I'm on there as well, but was hoping for a little brand/model specific input. As it stands I'm probably going to end up with my first idea and that was sealed boxes behind the tail lights pointed slightly up and to the front of the car. That seems to be the best way to maximize space from what I can visualize. I was still hoping some of the audio guys on here could confirm/deny this from personal exp with these cars and if there was a more/less ideal placement.