Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

anyone use a jl marine subwoofer in the stock location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 12:25 AM
schef300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone use a jl marine subwoofer in the stock location?

from all my research ive found out that the stock subwoofer in the sc300 is a infinite baffle free air sub. With that said anyone try a subwoofer in the jl marine line to replace thier stock subs with good results? i know the stock sub is an 8 but i will be building a custom bracket im just wondering if the sound quality is any good?
Old 07-27-12, 06:38 AM
dlsoul87
Driver

Originally Posted by schef300
from all my research ive found out that the stock subwoofer in the sc300 is a infinite baffle free air sub. With that said anyone try a subwoofer in the jl marine line to replace thier stock subs with good results? i know the stock sub is an 8 but i will be building a custom bracket im just wondering if the sound quality is any good?
I should know soon, I just ordered a 10" JL marine sub and my new amp....I'd say hopefully it will be done in two weeks.
Old 07-27-12, 06:44 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking into that marine type-r as well, but i'm not sure if it'll fit in the stock location with the factory cover still on.
Old 08-08-12, 02:11 PM
dlsoul87
Driver

I just hooked my amp and speakers I recently recieved to check if it worked. I should have an update soon as to the modifications needed. It does not fit in the stock sub location, but with a spacer and some cutting it will

Old 08-09-12, 09:12 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i would love to know how to sound as well. People are using the elemental design for the IB sub. Its about 140 and they said it sounds good. I am use the marine sub will sound great too, just a bit less of pounding bass.
Old 08-10-12, 06:17 PM
dlsoul87
Driver

Update:

The 10 inch JL marine sub does not fit perfectly in the sub location, but it can be retrofitted to work. The biggest problem is the gas tank when it comes to the mounting depth of the sub and the diameter of the opening of the sub location. The way around that is to use a spacer that is 1 3/4 inch and then ( what i did) was screw it attached from the underside. Sorry I didn't take any pictures during the process, but at least this will answer the questions about JL marine sub fitment.

The way it is mounted is temporary, but it works and it definitely sounds really good. I went from a Kicker L7 sub to this and I wont look back, and I have my entire trunk back! I have to try and see if I can do something custom for the window brake light, or just do with out the light. The only picture I took, was this after it was in. I will take pictures at a later date as everything is going to come back out for dynomat.

Old 08-10-12, 08:43 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

looks like a great start.

Does it hit hard as your L7? I am trying to decide to go this route or get a sub with a small enclosure.
Old 08-11-12, 06:45 AM
dlsoul87
Driver

Originally Posted by maxx430
looks like a great start.

Does it hit hard as your L7? I am trying to decide to go this route or get a sub with a small enclosure.
I'm not too sure if it does, but I really don't hear much of a difference. The whole point of this is to get a usable trunk (no sub box) and still have the wheel well for a spare. My trunk looks stock now, which is great for me. I had before this a kicker 600x1 amp with the L7 with the smallest enclosure and it took up too much of the trunk still.

As far as the sound is concerned, I still have to seal up the trunk properly to get the best sound out of the sub. As of now its acting like a ported box, which is not the way this type of sub is to be used. I do not want to push the sub until the rest of the project is done, but so far the sound is great!