Sponsored by:

Can't turn stereo off or use volume knob anymore

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 11:45 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Can't turn stereo off or use volume **** anymore

My GS430 head unit/receiver has had a interesting history. For the first few years the screen would often go crazy throwing up weird symbols, letters, numbers etc all the time. The unit still worked fine so it did not bother me much. Now for the past year or so the random symbols have stopped showing up on the screen but the volume **** does not work and I can not turn the unit off. The symbols seemed to stop around when I got a new battery so I am not sure if disconnecting had much to do with it. It is not a huge deal since I can still adjust the volume with the steering wheel controls but would like to try to get it working like normal. Has anyone had a issue like this? Is there a way to reset the stereo to were it might help or should I just disconnect the battery again to see what happens. I definitely don't want to pay the dealer a bunch of money to fix this. I don't believe I ever damaged the ****, it seemed to gradually but quickly stop working. My stereo is a non ML unit from a 2001 GS430 no nav.
Old 02-12-12, 01:23 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try disconnecting the battery or the units wire harness then go for a coffee break and see what happens. Thats all I could think of other than the unit itself has a program error of some sort.
Old 02-16-12, 11:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
Try disconnecting the battery or the units wire harness then go for a coffee break and see what happens. Thats all I could think of other than the unit itself has a program error of some sort.
Is there a way to reset the factory radio like you can reset the temp controls/system on a GS?