Sponsored by:

How to control bass level?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 09:22 AM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to control bass level?

Hey guys so I recently hooked up my audio setup but I have 1 problem, since I used a line output converter and still have the oem headunit I cannot control the bass, I was wondering if there is anything I could use to control the bass,

would a bass **** do it? and would this allow me to completely cut the bass off, when listening to other types of music and being with the gf sometimes I would like to completely cut the bass off

thanks for any help!!
Old 08-24-11, 10:15 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you could adjust the gain on your amp, but I have a bass **** and I can fine tune the amount of bass I want with whatever type of music plays and who's in the car. They're fairly cheap too.
Old 08-24-11, 12:09 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Does your OEM head unit cut the bass as the volume is increased? Then you need something like the re-Q http://www.reqsound.com . That's one of many OEM integration / bass restoration units that are on the market.

If you didn't have the OEM head unit, the most accurate setup is to apply the EQ for a flat response and never touch it again. This will allow you to hear the recordings as the sound engineer intended. For 99% of us, that just doesn't work.
Old 08-24-11, 12:27 PM
RAMPAGEsd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

inline rca volume **** controller is the cheapest fix.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Amplifie.../dp/B004P5MWFC

keeping the eq flat is only accurate if the system itself is putting out a flat response curve. only way to tell is with a rta mic and use the eq to compensate from there.
Old 08-24-11, 03:43 PM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Robert_J
Does your OEM head unit cut the bass as the volume is increased? Then you need something like the re-Q http://www.reqsound.com . That's one of many OEM integration / bass restoration units that are on the market.

If you didn't have the OEM head unit, the most accurate setup is to apply the EQ for a flat response and never touch it again. This will allow you to hear the recordings as the sound engineer intended. For 99% of us, that just doesn't work.
yes that is exactly what happens, as I turn the music up the bass goes down, its not a big difference and I really dont mind it, I am looking for something to be easy accessible and that will adjust my subwoofer to completely off if possible
Old 08-24-11, 03:44 PM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RAMPAGEsd
inline rca volume **** controller is the cheapest fix.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Amplifie.../dp/B004P5MWFC

keeping the eq flat is only accurate if the system itself is putting out a flat response curve. only way to tell is with a rta mic and use the eq to compensate from there.
deff looks like the cheapest fix, this will get the job done?
Old 08-24-11, 03:46 PM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
you could adjust the gain on your amp, but I have a bass **** and I can fine tune the amount of bass I want with whatever type of music plays and who's in the car. They're fairly cheap too.

thx for the info, can u turn the bass completely off with ur bass ****? I dont know much about audio, my cousin adjusted my gain but im not sure what is on and what is is suppose to be on
Old 08-24-11, 03:54 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Depends on the amp. Some bass ***** will take the place of the gain (really it is an input attenuator) on the amp. Most adjust between 0 and max, where max is the input setting on the amp. So if you set your input level at 5 out of 10, then the bass **** will set any level between 0 and 5.
Old 08-25-11, 07:55 AM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

^ ok thx still deciding what to do
Old 08-25-11, 01:40 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Bnastyy
deff looks like the cheapest fix, this will get the job done?
Only if you have hella long RCA cables to go from the LOC to the **** then back to the amp. Much greater chance to induce noise, too. I'd suggest against it.

Originally Posted by Robert_J
Depends on the amp. Some bass ***** will take the place of the gain (really it is an input attenuator) on the amp. Most adjust between 0 and max, where max is the input setting on the amp. So if you set your input level at 5 out of 10, then the bass **** will set any level between 0 and 5.
Correct - to a certain extent. Most bass ***** that I have seen/used/setup are centered around one frequency and have a wide Q, but they tend to impact that one frequency quite heavily. I have seen as much as 15 dB of variance - but it's above the gain, meaning you are taking the input signal and dialing in an additional amount above it. Good recipe for blowing a woofer when someone else messes with it.

OP - do you want to just turn off the bass, or do you need to adjust it constantly? If the former, the simplest solution may be a switch that kills the amp. No need to constantly dial the amp's output up and down, just turn it off when not needed.

Big Mack
Old 08-25-11, 04:29 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

So some ***** are bass boost. Great. I need to find out what mine is.

I may let the receiver's auto calibration set it and just leave it.
Old 08-26-11, 05:03 PM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Big Mack;6635600]Only if you have hella long RCA cables to go from the LOC to the **** then back to the amp. Much greater chance to induce noise, too. I'd suggest against it.

OP - do you want to just turn off the bass, or do you need to adjust it constantly? If the former, the simplest solution may be a switch that kills the amp. No need to constantly dial the amp's output up and down, just turn it off when not needed.

mhm that is a great idea! I would like to turn the bass down instead of completely off only cuz I do not have the oem woofer and it doesnt sound good with no bass at all, but if not possible a kill switch would deff do the job, do u kno how I would make that happen? thx for the help man
Old 08-27-11, 09:52 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Bnastyy
mhm that is a great idea! I would like to turn the bass down instead of completely off only cuz I do not have the oem woofer and it doesnt sound good with no bass at all, but if not possible a kill switch would deff do the job, do u kno how I would make that happen? thx for the help man
You just need to tap the wire that goes to the remote turn on into the amp and install a switch. Can either put it in the trunk or put it in the car, depending on how much wiring you want to do, where you got the signal to turn it on from in the first place, and how convenient you want it to be.

Big Mack
Old 08-27-11, 10:52 PM
Bnastyy
Lead Lap

^^ thats what I mite do, thanks for the help bro appreciate it