Sponsored by:

GS430 oem pods/box

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 08:48 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GS430 oem pods/box

I got rid of my oem speakers and got rid of the speaker pods but now I wonder if I can/should unscrew the front end and replace it with a mdf and a ring to fit a 6.5" speakers.

Would the plastic pod rattle? or should I use it to mold using fiberglass?

anyone done something like this?

I was told my speakers would do well in a 1 liter box.
Old 12-30-10, 11:48 AM
nervekiler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what id do is take a peice of abs plastic. the thicker and more rigid = the better.
trace out the footprint of the factory speaker pods and cut it out. also transfer the factory screw holes.

cut a hole in this new peice and its your speaker adapter.
now you gotta build a way to space the magnet out enough from the window.

treat the entire door; outter door panel, speaker mounting panel. cover every hole with abs and then dynamatt (or similar) over that. and then if your door panel doesnt fit. then modify the door panel to clear the speaker even if it means cutting a hole in it, breaking out the bondo and sandpaper and MAKING it work.
Old 01-02-11, 09:43 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nervekiler
what id do is take a peice of abs plastic. the thicker and more rigid = the better.
trace out the footprint of the factory speaker pods and cut it out. also transfer the factory screw holes.

cut a hole in this new peice and its your speaker adapter.
now you gotta build a way to space the magnet out enough from the window.

treat the entire door; outter door panel, speaker mounting panel. cover every hole with abs and then dynamatt (or similar) over that. and then if your door panel doesnt fit. then modify the door panel to clear the speaker even if it means cutting a hole in it, breaking out the bondo and sandpaper and MAKING it work.
I Did most of that, but it's not fully sealed... but I am changing plans, I will cross it somewhere else and let the subwoofer play 100hz and lower. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-04-11, 10:18 AM
nervekiler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your specifically looking for 1 litre of discplacement then look into building fiberglass kickpods. take the speaker outta the door completely and put it in a real enclosure?
i imagine the door as an enclosure is way bigger than what you are asking for.. (after reading this the second time).

if i build kickpods and they dont allow the speaker to play low enough (too small of displacement) i can usually fill em up with polyfill type material and/or drill holes into the side venting into the carpet. you can also expirament with passive radiators too..

let me know what you end up doing and how you like the sound. i am definately interested