Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

got some questions: rca cables,speaker wires and new amp....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-07, 06:38 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default got some questions: rca cables,speaker wires and new amp....

1. i am re-wiring my entire audio system. initiall, i had wires connected from the harness where the stock amp used to be and all the way to the amp at the back and then proceeded to tap the stock speaker wires in the door to connect the speakers(aftermarket 6.5" speakers). i think the entire joint connection was not efficient so i removeed it all. now i want to connect a simple wire from the speakers and run them to the back. my problem is i already have my power wire from the battery running through the passenger door sill. is it okay to run the wires for the passenger side along side this power wire, if not where would you re-route them through to get to the amp in the trunk. the driver side speakers ar not a problem cos i have no power wire running on that side.
2. also, with my old amp, my rear RCAs when connected into the amp would create this entire buzzing/crackling sound from all the speakers and sometimes some pop sounds. i tried hooking it up to my new amp today and same thing. any idea what the problem is :rca cables?
3. what is the minimum guage of wire that can be used for speaker connections with no loss of efficiency from sound quality.
4. also, my rca cables make crackling sound from the speakers when the metal heads touch each other. are they supposed to be spread apart. or can i get a rubber shield and wrap them around the heads.

thanks in advance.
sorry about the long thread.
olddog

Last edited by olddog; 08-11-07 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-12-07, 01:06 AM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the speaker wire you should be fine with 14-16 awg. An easy fix for the rca's would be to wrap them in electric tape or consider getting better ones. Its ideal to run the power and signal wires on separate sides of the car or 18 inches apart.
Old 08-12-07, 01:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Your whine noise is most likely due to grounding. The GS is very sensitive to where you put your ground. We have a lot of electronics in our car if you haven't noticed already.

At one time, I ran very cheap $3 RCA next to my 1/0 gauge power with no noise. I dont want to get behind the reasoning of that, but I am sure it's your ground.