Sponsored by:

"Burned" CDs not playing correctly in Stock Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 10:35 AM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Burned" CDs not playing correctly in Stock Headunit

Alright so recently my CD player in my iS300 started acting up and it'll randomely start skipping and not read certain CDs....

So I took it over to Lexus and they said it won't be covered under warranty because your not supposed to play burned CD's in the cd player because CD-R's are THICKER than regular CD's hahah what a load of bull...Also they couldn't pull the error codes for some reason off the CD player..In any case the CDs play fine in my loaner RX300 but in my IS300...

I'm curious if anyones had an experience like this?

I contact ed Lexus Customer Service and complained and they're looking into the matter for me...
Old 02-04-05, 10:56 AM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey , try a different CD brand, i had that problem before...
Old 02-06-05, 01:18 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

yea that just doesnt sound right. I've had the same issues of cd-r's not playing in the mark levinsion system and they play fine in other non-mark levinson setup in lexus.
is yours ML as well ?
keep us updated.
good luck !
Old 02-06-05, 01:46 PM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexs400
yea that just doesnt sound right. I've had the same issues of cd-r's not playing in the mark levinsion system and they play fine in other non-mark levinson setup in lexus.
is yours ML as well ?
keep us updated.
good luck !

No the IS300 is just a "Premium" system as Lexus calls it. No ML is offered.

But get this - when its cold the CD's play fine but after it gets warm they start skipping....the dealer even notices that but since it wont produce an error they refuse to fix it.

I'm not sure what to do - Even Lexus Customer Service is like yea too bad.....
Old 02-06-05, 03:43 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

it could be head misalignment issue, since it's acting up when it gets warm. the electronics within do get affected by the heat dissipated by the amplifier as you noticed the cd's do get warm when you play them for a while, that's internal heat.
I think you should try to play the same cd's in another IS of same year. and see what results that produces. Have the dealership give you the IS as a loaner.
Old 02-06-05, 08:51 PM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexs400
it could be head misalignment issue, since it's acting up when it gets warm. the electronics within do get affected by the heat dissipated by the amplifier as you noticed the cd's do get warm when you play them for a while, that's internal heat.
I think you should try to play the same cd's in another IS of same year. and see what results that produces. Have the dealership give you the IS as a loaner.

Yea i've tried that too - they just don't care. It doesn't matter what cars the CD plays in...they say my IS is "different". I'm not sure what tell them haha - I work at a law firm so I think Lexus is going to get a nice letter in the next couple weeks ) I'm quite displeased with their lack of support....
Old 02-07-05, 09:24 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

yes, I've heard that answer many times from the service dept. that the car is "different". that is just a bunch of BS. anyhow, at this pont my question is : is your car still under factory warranty ? If it is i suggest taking it to a different lexus dealer granted you'll have to make a trip but a different dealer has different set of people working and at the end of the day, lexus is not making the decision whether the cd-player is faulty or not, it's the service advisor/tech. therefore different set of individuals should help.
good luck.