Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Need help with problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 07:55 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "skipping" noise with radio or CD. HELP!!

All stereo gurus, I need your help. Just recently, my stock nakamichi system went on the fritz. Wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be?
The system is the stock Nakamicki system in a '92 SC400. No modifications have been done to the stereo or electrical whatsoever. The stereo was working fine one day when suddenly it sounds as if a CD is skipping very badly. This is how it sounds even while playing radio. If I switch from radio to CD, I lose the "music" but the skipping noise continues. When the CD begins it is the skipping noise with "music" included. Basically, regardless of whether it is radio or CD, the sound is the same. Also, I noticed that when it is on radio and I change stations, the power antennea moves up or down slightly. Is this something that occurs normally to help with reception?
I have searched for this problem and no one appears to have experienced this exact issue. Most others relate to the Nak amp. Could it be that the amp is failing but hasn't completely gone out yet?
Any help would be great!!!! I plan on taking apart the stereo this Sunday to see if there are any bad connections and possibly to have the amp bench tested. Thanks CL!!

Last edited by mkorsu; 11-19-04 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-19-04, 09:27 AM
SC XCII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not quite sure on the "skipping sound". If the volume of the "skipping sound" goes up and down with the volume control it is probably either the head unit or some electrical noise being injected into it. If the source of the noise is the amp, it would remain constant regardless of volume setting.

Yes, the antenna has two up positions that will be selected based upon what FM frequency you are listening. It improves reception as each frequency has an ideal antenna length and this at least gets it into the ball park.
Old 11-19-04, 09:35 AM
SC XCII
Driver School Candidate

BTW, MKorsu, you will get more replys if your post subject applies to the issue. Then again, maybe not. I bit.
Old 11-19-04, 10:13 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SC XCII
BTW, MKorsu, you will get more replys if your post subject applies to the issue. Then again, maybe not. I bit.
Thanks for the info. Yes, the noise volume goes up as the volume **** is turned up. I will check all head unit connections this weekend. Although I can't think of any reason why anything would be loose since nothing was ever taken apart before. I just hope the head unit isn't fried!
Also, I will edit the subject line. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11-19-04, 05:49 PM
SC XCII
Driver School Candidate

I would check the head unit connections. If the noise only ocurrs with engine running could be ignition noise. Try with and without engine running.
Old 12-01-06, 09:59 AM
LyFeWoRx
Pole Position

I know this thread is super old but has anyone found a fix to this yet? MIne is doing it as well. Exact same problem.
Old 03-23-09, 08:54 PM
khutch
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

bump. still looking for the result of this problem.