LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Mark Levinson No Audio - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 10:03 PM
smp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson No Audio - Please Help

My wife hopped in the LX the other day and there is no audio from the the ML Stereo. The radio acts like it it is working but no sound. I think it is the radio and not the amp because the radio will no longer stop on any stations when you hit seek. I took the dash apart and put an inductive amplifier on the wires on the back. When the CD changer is playing I can hear the music on the wires coming from the CD changer, but not on the wires going to the amp. No sound from the radio or tape player on any of the wires coming out of the back of the radio. Again - there is not sound out of the Mark Levinson amp / car speakers when anything (CD / Radio / Tape) is playing.

Does anyone have a wire diagram of the 3 connectors on the back of the radio (part number 86120-60620)?

Should I get this repaired or just replace it?

Does anyone have any insight on this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-11, 04:22 PM
A2BTLC
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I can't help. But out of interest, what year is your LX470?

Bruce
Old 12-13-11, 11:02 AM
smp
Driver School Candidate

It is a 2003. I took the radio out and sent it to get repaired. I will let you know what they find.

Just FYI - I wouldn't recommend anybody else doing this. As my wife found out the next day we can no longer control the A/C system or the navigation system without the radio in place.
Old 01-12-12, 07:00 AM
smp
Driver School Candidate

Update:
I sent the unit to Hi-Tech Electronic Services in Van Nuys, Ca. They tested the radio and found out the defective part (main circuit board). They ordered the part (of course it took 3~4 weeks to come in), but the nice thing is they shipped the radio back in the interim so that I could control my A/C. It actually worked out pretty well because they called me a day before we were going on vacation to tell me the part was in and I shipped it back to them. They turned it around in 1~2 days as far as I can tell, and it arrived back at my door 2 days after I got back from vacation. The moment of truth came when I put it back in.... and it worked! All in $330 to fix the head unit. Way cheaper than getting it replaced, but a headache of not being able to control the A/C.

If anyone does this, my suggestion is to set the A/C to a temperature you like, because you can't change it until you get your radio back!
Old 01-12-15, 10:21 PM
some
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ML Amp

I tried mailing the folks you mentioned but got no response. I decided to take my unit apart myself.

I found one tiny component causing the problem: A blown capacitor. It was clearly rattling around the case and the internals were flopping around as well.
I identified the part number as "Nichicon PW series 39uF 16V aluminum electrolytic capacitor"
I will order a couple and fix the one that was out as well as possible the one next to it.
Such a simple fix? The tricky part was getting to the amp in my trunk,
finding the screw drivers (Torx T10 and a 5/16 socket wrench) ,
and lastly finding the hidden screws under the Mark Levinson label on the amp

Good luck to whoever reads this.