Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Handsfree Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-03, 10:55 AM
whitelotus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bluetooth Handsfree Install

I'm wondering if anyone has installed a Bluetooth handsfree system in their Lexus, and if so, what? I'm getting tired of constantly synching my PDA with my computer, manually entering new phone numbers or trying to transfer via IR to my phone, then fumbling around with a wired handsfree in the car. So that means Bluetooth, so I can do all of the above.

I got this idea looking at the new Acuras which have built-in Bluetooth phone capability. If you are on a compatible phone, it automatically transfers the call to your in-car system/speakers when you put the key in the ignition.

It's not so easy to find a phone that's Bluetooth enabled and even harder to find installers that know what they're doing as far as the in-car wiring, even though Motorola, Nokia, and Sony Ericsson make professional install kits. There are some plug-and-play kits, but I want something hardwired so I don't have things plugged into the cigarette adaptors and mounted in awkward places.

Any ideas guys?
Old 11-12-03, 07:30 PM
mynoles1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your current phone system. What carrier do you use? There is a wonderful B/T hands free kit that works great with LG and Siemens (GSM) phones.

Let me know what service you currently have, or your current phone, and I can give you some more info.
Old 11-12-03, 07:41 PM
whitelotus
Rookie

I use T-Mobile because it's GSM. I swap among several phones, none of which are Bluetooth enabled, so I would need to get a new one. I'm looking at the Ericsson T68i and the Siemens S55, leaning towards the Siemens though it's a bit pricey, I like the voice dialing options. I see that Siemens has some great car kits but I haven't had any luck in finding them.

Appreciate any info you have!
Old 11-16-03, 09:14 PM
lv2000
Lead Lap

i have installed a ericsson bluetooth handsfree car kit it works very good and is easy to install. as far as phones im in the biz and ericsson is not that good the siemens are good as well as the nokia's just my 2 cents also the ls430 is a bluetooth hf car it factory option (maybe on the 2005 gs as well )
Old 11-17-03, 07:21 AM
MarkACohen
Driver School Candidate

Default bluetooth

I am using T-Mobile with an Ericsson P900 phone, and just installed the Ericsson Bluetooth Car Kit. I interfaced the mute wire into theLexuslink Stereo mute, but am using a separate speaker. I am very happy with this setup. Also try to contact VideoNavi as I think he is using the Parrot CK3000 interfaced into the stero speakers and is also happy.
Old 11-17-03, 07:52 AM
whitelotus
Rookie

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Those are two car kits I was considering (the Ericsson & Parrot). Only reason why I'm considering Ericsson is because I already have several Ericsson phones and all the attachments are universal! (I've had 3 phones by them and all have been good up until my Sony Ericsson T300 which has terrible RF performance.) Ericsson was one of the main initiators of the Bluetooth technology and so they have many more phone choices which are compatible... the Siemens is really hard to track down except on ebay... I'm trying to get my brother-in-law to get me one in Hong Kong.

One question, did you do the install yourself or did you have it done?
Old 11-17-03, 12:47 PM
MarkACohen
Driver School Candidate

I had a specialty shop do it as i was having other custom work done at the same time, but the carkit portion was very simple!
Old 06-02-04, 01:01 AM
mobilezen
Driver School Candidate

In order for a bluetooth phone to work with the Lexus OEM setup, the bluetooth phone itself needs to support the headset profile. On the other hand, if you get a kit like the Sony Ericsson HCB-30, then you can use other phones that just support general bluetooth profile like the Sony Ericsson P800 and P900. For bluetooth phones that support the headset profile, check the following:

* Nokia 6820, 6230, 3650, 6600 (depends where and when you purchased it)
* Sony Ericsson, T610, T616, T637, T630, K700, S700
* Siemens S55
* Motorola V500/V600
Old 07-04-04, 07:27 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will any BlueTooth Car kit work in a Lexus and with any phone? As far as the phone compatibility goes, I'm pretty sure if it's a Bluetooth Car Kit and successfuly wired to the vehicle, my phone will talk to it.

Last edited by looknow12; 07-04-04 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-04-04, 12:13 PM
mobilezen
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by looknow12
Will any BlueTooth Car kit work in a Lexus and with any phone? As far as the phone compatibility goes, I'm pretty sure if it's a Bluetooth Car Kit and successfuly wired to the vehicle, my phone will talk to it.
If you don't have an OEM bluetooth kit installed from the factory, you should be ok. There is one rare instance where Nokia makes a car kit that is only for Asia/Europe. I don't think we'll see that one on U.S. shores as that particular kit only supports 900/1800mhz. So yes, all the top manufacturers like Sony Ericsson, Nokia and Motorola make bluetooth car kits that can be wired into your car and used with any respective bluetooth phone.
Old 11-05-04, 11:55 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default Why not use the Jabra headset instead?

I have BT in my Acura and like it but at times I prefer to use my BT-enabled Jabra headset ($79) instead of the handsfree option. It provides a clearer communication channel and might also be considered "hands free" since it haas no cords. I use a Seimens S56 and AT&T service.
Old 11-06-04, 03:48 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the Jabra headset and one other (can;t remember) and my wife would constantly complain that she couldn't hear me. Finally I changed to the Plantronics and she couldn't tell the difference between being on the handset or the headset.

Nice.
Old 11-13-04, 11:33 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

If your 99 GS was pre-wired for Lexus phones like my 00 LS was, there may be a 6 pin connector (two rows of three pins) on the drivers side under the rear of your console that has just about everything you need for connecting a phone kit. I think this connector was for plugging in the Lexus "Portable Plus" phone and that the unused connector under the console on the passenger side was for plugging in the Lexus Fixed phone. There is even a coax antenna cable near these two connectors.

I connected my phone kit's mute wire to the middle front pin of the drivers side connector - just stripped off 1/4 inch of insullation, plunged it into the terminal and secured it with a wire tire. This connector also has pins that supply power and there may be a ground pin too although I didn't try to use it. I used a separate speaker for my phone kit but have to wonder if there isn't also a pin in that connector that could be used to play the call through the radio speakers.

Does anybody know if the GS has the phone connectors under the console?

I don't look forward to the day we have to give up our Nokia 91H car kits that we have used over the years. Nokia dropped the last phone of the size we need a few months ago. I have seen lots of Bluetooth kits and none seem to have the features and conveniences of these old car kits when used with Nokia 6340i GSM/TDMA/Analog phones with speed and voice dialing.

PM me if you want any photos on my car kit installation or that 6-pin connector.

Depending on your phone, you might be able to update its dialing directory from directly from you PC. I use the free "Nokia PC Suite" software to directly edit my phone's address book via the IR connection (the software also supports a Bluetooth connection between the PC and phone) and I think it can also sync the phone's address book with Outlook. One of my co-workers uses the Nokia software to sync his Nokia address book with his Lotus Notes personal address book.