IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

HID color inquiry OEM headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 04:38 AM
Wsalas4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID color inquiry OEM headlights

Hello guys, just a quick question. Do you guys know if all IS come with the same lights? (HID). I got my regular IS250 about two weeks ago and every time I see the car parked the color seems yellowish/white. I don't know if it's only the angle or that I'm too close but the once I see in the streets are the F package so I was wondering if mine have HID or it's just a projector with regular lights unless the F type have an upgrade color.... Thanks and sorry if the question is dumb but I'm new to the Lexus fam. I just love when I see other IS's from far and the headlights change color while you get closer and closer depending on the angle. Just to mention mine is a 2015 so the fogs are leds I think cuz they look bluish but the normal low beam just looks yellowish /=
thanks.
Old 01-22-15, 05:15 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wsalas4
Hello guys, just a quick question. Do you guys know if all IS come with the same lights? (HID). I got my regular IS250 about two weeks ago and every time I see the car parked the color seems yellowish/white. I don't know if it's only the angle or that I'm too close but the once I see in the streets are the F package so I was wondering if mine have HID or it's just a projector with regular lights unless the F type have an upgrade color.... Thanks and sorry if the question is dumb but I'm new to the Lexus fam. I just love when I see other IS's from far and the headlights change color while you get closer and closer depending on the angle. Just to mention mine is a 2015 so the fogs are leds I think cuz they look bluish but the normal low beam just looks yellowish /= thanks.
In US, F-Sport IS comes with twin headlights which are actual LED headlights (low and high beam). The color is close to 6000K. For regular IS, it is either the standard HID (single eye) or the upgraded LED twin headlights. For the standard HID that comes with regular IS, the color is 4xxx K. (I forgot the exact figure) The best bet is to upgrade to a good quality HID with 5700-6000K. Note higher Kevin temperature is usually associated with lower brightness (measured in lumens). The optimum trade-off is around 5700-6000K. Also some have overrated Kevin color temperature. 6200K may be just like a 6000K From my previous research, I learned that there is no such standard alone Philip ballast. Many fake stuff on the market. And for Philip HID, there are many fake stuff on the market.

Last edited by AndyL; 01-22-15 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 07:15 AM
Wsalas4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all that info man, but how can I make sure I have HID's or LED's? Because when I light up its very bright and it takes no time to be at max brightness so I think it's LED's so as the high beams... What I notice was that 2015 cars are coming out with LED fogs like mine even tho is a basic IS... I've seen a lot of the 2014 IS250 F with the ugly yellow fog lights but with the nice blueish/purplish low beams. So for sure something had to change on the 2015 cars. I don't know if u have any info on how to check that pls.
Old 01-22-15, 10:13 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all that info man, but how can I make sure I have HID's or LED's? Because when I light up its very bright and it takes no time to be at max brightness so I think it's LED's so as the high beams... What I notice was that 2015 cars are coming out with LED fogs like mine even tho is a basic IS... I've seen a lot of the 2014 IS250 F with the ugly yellow fog lights but with the nice blueish/purplish low beams. So for sure something had to change on the 2015 cars. I don't know if u have any info on how to check that pls.
To determine if your headlights are LED or HID. -- on each side --- one lens -> HID twin lenses -> LED
Old 01-23-15, 01:12 PM
Wsalas4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndyL
To determine if your headlights are LED or HID. -- on each side --- one lens -> HID twin lenses -> LED

Thanks bro so i just realized I have HID's then lol suxs tho... was wondering if u have HID's too? and if u have upgrade what bulb did u get? Thanks
Old 01-24-15, 01:30 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks bro so i just realized I have HID's then lol suxs tho... was wondering if u have HID's too? and if u have upgrade what bulb did u get? Thanks
No, I have LED headlights but another friend of mine has HID in his 3IS. He went for Philips Ultinon 6000K. Unfortunately, the one he got was a newer version with a brown wire. The one he got, while it was genuine, the color is not as good as before but still it is very bright.

http://www.carlight.philips.co.jp/li...dbulb/003.html

The original one has purple wire with some sparkles which is unique to Philips and makes the color looks purple. So not sure what I would recommend at this point.

This info may be useful to you. Note this was back in Jun 2013. Need more research..and maybe this forum can help..

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...r-counterfeits

Last edited by AndyL; 01-24-15 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 10:34 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The HID lights should not be yellow...HIDs were the premium on the 2IS and are still very bright. Realistically the only difference between the standard HID and LED is the purpleish tint. My 2IS w/ the HIDs had more of a white hue. The 3IS is more purple but I would say the brightness is about the same.