IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS vs The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-14, 05:02 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lexus IS vs The Competition

Hey! As you guys probably know I have an RX450h F Sport! Now my wife has got a Merc C220 CDI which is 8 years old. We bought it used from a Merc dealer and it now has 72K miles on the clock so we decided its time for a change, especially since its been for a repair twice in the space of 10 months and costing £400 total on a £4k vehicle .

Anyway, the main cars we compared are the Lexus IS250 F Sport, Lexus IS300h F Sport, New Mercedes C200 (C250 isn't coming to the UK), BMW 320i M Sport and finally, the Audi A4 2.0t S Line. There is definitely some intraspecific competition there as you can see with the IS250 and 300h! Obviously, these are mine and my wife's opinions so no hate. You are all free to have your own views. Ultimately, the decision rests in my hands because Im the one paying

After driving them all, the first one to be knocked off the list was the A4. Main reasons being that the ride was too harsh on the S Line suspension and also, it felt slightly boring. Everything worked very well, the interior was nice and all but it was just too sterile. It felt kind of like a long VW GTI (something to do with the same engine?) without the excitement. It also reminded me of my old 1998 VW Passat, not exactly a good thing considering that car was 16 years old

Second one to be knocked off was the BMW. The engine made funny noises, it wasnt a refined unit and i couldnt get the indicator to turn off - slightly weird. My wife also complained that the interior felt too business like and not calm. Again the ride was poor with the M Sport suspension, but the dealer said it can be specified with comfort suspension which may be a better alternative. Another problem was the run flat tyres. They were too noisy and the dealer said I would have to change them myself if I didn't like them. On the plus side however, I do rather like the estoril blue paint. However, the options were far too expensive anyway and the car quickly spiraled out of our budget.

Next car to be crossed off the list was the IS300h! Although beautifully refined, my wife couldnt get used to the wail that the engine makes due to the CVT transmission. It sounds slightly like a CT. Also, it was £3k more than the IS250 and we couldnt justify that step up in price because it felt slower than the IS250, and my wife does very little driving, about 2.5K miles a year so it would take 10 years for the difference to make even.

So, now the competition lies between the IS250 F Sport and the C200 AMG Line. Of course we havent driven the C200 yet because it isnt here yet but the IS250 F Sport has set a pretty high benchmark to hit. The IS250 has a lovely smooth engine, makes a nice noise when gunning it and it has a nice tight drive. My wife also loved the seats, shes 5 ft 6 and the seats are a perfect fit for her and I find them rather comfortable too. The only issue we found is that the Sat Nav kept crashing and turning back on and my elbow got stuck in the cup holder. However, having said that, the IS250 has so far been the best for our needs and the dial is super cool, even though I have trouble reading it sometimes. Maybe its a placebo - we just think its awesome because of brand loyalty but there's no denying its a great car!

I'll keep you guys updated once the C200 lands in the UK - Hopefully the car isnt as bad as the C Class we have now!
Old 04-12-14, 09:05 AM
JCWong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll not be disappointed with the 3IS... overall reliability and lower cost of maintenance is already worth the buck in the end over the long run.
Old 04-12-14, 09:30 AM
VelvetFog
Driver School Candidate

The IS 250 V6 is a lovely smooth engine compared to the turbo 4 bangers in the competitors. Plus you don't get the Mercedes service and repair bills.
Old 04-12-14, 09:45 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VelvetFog
The IS 250 V6 is a lovely smooth engine compared to the turbo 4 bangers in the competitors. Plus you don't get the Mercedes service and repair bills.
At the moment, there are no C200's in the country so we are just waiting to drive it. My dealer also didnt have the new shape C class yet in any spec so we dont really know what it looks like and how big the car is. Im lead to believe its rather large which may make a difference because its going to be used basically for the school run and shopping where parking is an issue. Ive been ticketed twice because my RX doesnt fit in a normal space so ive been parking in the middle of two.

Oooh I did rather like the V6 warble in the IS250. Its addictive and its not exactly a slow car, its more than adequate.

Im not too sure what the C200 will be like. Its got 184bhp and its a four pot
Old 04-12-14, 12:59 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rayaans
Hey! As you guys probably know I have an RX450h F Sport! Now my wife has got a Merc C220 CDI which is 8 years old. We bought it used from a Merc dealer and it now has 72K miles on the clock so we decided its time for a change, especially since its been for a repair twice in the space of 10 months and costing £400 total on a £4k vehicle .

Anyway, the main cars we compared are the Lexus IS250 F Sport, Lexus IS300h F Sport, New Mercedes C200 (C250 isn't coming to the UK), BMW 320i M Sport and finally, the Audi A4 2.0t S Line. There is definitely some intraspecific competition there as you can see with the IS250 and 300h! Obviously, these are mine and my wife's opinions so no hate. You are all free to have your own views. Ultimately, the decision rests in my hands because Im the one paying

After driving them all, the first one to be knocked off the list was the A4. Main reasons being that the ride was too harsh on the S Line suspension and also, it felt slightly boring. Everything worked very well, the interior was nice and all but it was just too sterile. It felt kind of like a long VW GTI (something to do with the same engine?) without the excitement. It also reminded me of my old 1998 VW Passat, not exactly a good thing considering that car was 16 years old

Second one to be knocked off was the BMW. The engine made funny noises, it wasnt a refined unit and i couldnt get the indicator to turn off - slightly weird. My wife also complained that the interior felt too business like and not calm. Again the ride was poor with the M Sport suspension, but the dealer said it can be specified with comfort suspension which may be a better alternative. Another problem was the run flat tyres. They were too noisy and the dealer said I would have to change them myself if I didn't like them. On the plus side however, I do rather like the estoril blue paint. However, the options were far too expensive anyway and the car quickly spiraled out of our budget.

Next car to be crossed off the list was the IS300h! Although beautifully refined, my wife couldnt get used to the wail that the engine makes due to the CVT transmission. It sounds slightly like a CT. Also, it was £3k more than the IS250 and we couldnt justify that step up in price because it felt slower than the IS250, and my wife does very little driving, about 2.5K miles a year so it would take 10 years for the difference to make even.

So, now the competition lies between the IS250 F Sport and the C200 AMG Line. Of course we havent driven the C200 yet because it isnt here yet but the IS250 F Sport has set a pretty high benchmark to hit. The IS250 has a lovely smooth engine, makes a nice noise when gunning it and it has a nice tight drive. My wife also loved the seats, shes 5 ft 6 and the seats are a perfect fit for her and I find them rather comfortable too. The only issue we found is that the Sat Nav kept crashing and turning back on and my elbow got stuck in the cup holder. However, having said that, the IS250 has so far been the best for our needs and the dial is super cool, even though I have trouble reading it sometimes. Maybe its a placebo - we just think its awesome because of brand loyalty but there's no denying its a great car!

I'll keep you guys updated once the C200 lands in the UK - Hopefully the car isnt as bad as the C Class we have now!
The sat/nav crashing issue is problematic (it's plagued my car since its purchase in October of last year) and has yet to be addressed successfully by Lexus. While annoying, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Aside from that, the Lexus should be considerably more reliable than the Mercedes. Fortunately, the 3IS isn't saddled with run-flat tires, which are miserable in terms ride-quality, but you're stuck with staggered fitment, which will cause the car to understeer. You might wish to consider the the 350, because the difference in power is substantial. I cross-shopped the 328i M-Sport and I couldn't get past the F30's lifeless steering. Steering on the Lexus 350 F Sport is much better.

Is the 3IS the perfect sports sedan? IMO, no, but it's a very well-balanced car, and highly competitive in its segment. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-12-14, 09:15 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's going to be your wifes car, getting your elbow stuck in the cupholder wouldn't really matter.
Old 04-13-14, 02:16 AM
Slust
Pole Position

I wouldn't even consider a 4 banger unless it made at least 250hp. So the only one I test drove was the 328i. I loved how nimble it felt, it would be my choice if I had to do slalom runs. But not crazy on the F30 steering/handling, but the real deal breaker was the fact it cost the same amount as a loaded 3IS350 and a 328i just can't compete.

Gotta agree with the OP though, the cupholder placement on the 3IS is very poor. Everyone I take in my car loves the car but the one complaint they have is their elbow in the cupholders.
Old 04-13-14, 02:33 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slust
I wouldn't even consider a 4 banger unless it made at least 250hp. So the only one I test drove was the 328i. I loved how nimble it felt, it would be my choice if I had to do slalom runs. But not crazy on the F30 steering/handling, but the real deal breaker was the fact it cost the same amount as a loaded 3IS350 and a 328i just can't compete.

Gotta agree with the OP though, the cupholder placement on the 3IS is very poor. Everyone I take in my car loves the car but the one complaint they have is their elbow in the cupholders.
We dont get the IS350 here, no idea why. We only have an option of the IS300h or the IS250. The 328i is significantly more expensive than the IS250 we drove, about £4k spec for spec. Again, the 328i doesnt exactly make nice noises! and even if that wasnt an issue, the runflats and hard suspension would drive us crazy!

Now of course the issue with the satnav may be fixed at a later date and Im sure the Lexus ownership experience wont disappoint. Ive had 2 and never had any problems whatsoever.

My wife likes the look of the new Merc but I think its slightly conservative!
Old 04-13-14, 02:53 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rayaans
We dont get the IS350 here, no idea why. We only have an option of the IS300h or the IS250. The 328i is significantly more expensive than the IS250 we drove, about £4k spec for spec. Again, the 328i doesnt exactly make nice noises! and even if that wasnt an issue, the runflats and hard suspension would drive us crazy!

Now of course the issue with the satnav may be fixed at a later date and Im sure the Lexus ownership experience wont disappoint. Ive had 2 and never had any problems whatsoever.

My wife likes the look of the new Merc but I think its slightly conservative!
Surprised it is only £4k more as the 328i I was looking at was almost exactly the same price as a 350 but still lacked features.

My problem with the F30 was the boring steering/handling, how the engine turns off at lights and stop signs (really hate the idea of this) and the run flats. That being said, if the IS250 had a similar engine as the 328i I would have been happy with a IS250. Though I do agree with you that the engine growl of a 328i is less than desirable. If I could only choose between a 250 and a 328i it would actually be a tough choice for me, but that is because I need more than 200hp so I would probably choose the 328i. That was a hard requirement I set before I even test drove the first car. If engine power is not a concern than it is hard to beat the smoothness and growl of a V6 over a turbo 4.
Old 04-13-14, 08:05 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slust
Surprised it is only £4k more as the 328i I was looking at was almost exactly the same price as a 350 but still lacked features.

My problem with the F30 was the boring steering/handling, how the engine turns off at lights and stop signs (really hate the idea of this) and the run flats. That being said, if the IS250 had a similar engine as the 328i I would have been happy with a IS250. Though I do agree with you that the engine growl of a 328i is less than desirable. If I could only choose between a 250 and a 328i it would actually be a tough choice for me, but that is because I need more than 200hp so I would probably choose the 328i. That was a hard requirement I set before I even test drove the first car. If engine power is not a concern than it is hard to beat the smoothness and growl of a V6 over a turbo 4.
Actually its not £4k. Just double checked. The BMW 328i with all the amenities that the Lexus IS250 F Sport has which includes - xenon headlights, front seat heating, front armrest, metallic paint, automatic gearbox, reversing camera, business navigation, front and rear parking sensors, folding rear seats, electric front seats, auto folding mirros and the upgraded wheels because my wife doesnt like the standard wheels comes out at £40,355!!!

The IS250 F Sport comes out at £34,500. So there is a very large difference there! Nearly £6k! Thats like $10k! And besides, its not exactly a slow car. 0-60mph in about 8 seconds is reasonable. My wife's current C220 CDI does 0-60 in 10!