IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Head light goes out 15 min after its turned on

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 09:08 AM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess im going to order 1 bulb from lexus see if thats it.. Was told by afew people that the ones i got were philips bulbs just that they didnt have it printed on them, but came from the same factory in germany then shipped to china to be put together.. It has the germany stamp on it or something like that.. A good friend that has used these bulbs 100 times in all sorts of diff cars have never had a problem. But I'm starting to wonder. Sometimes things that are to good to be true arnt so good. lol

Last edited by Taint3d; 12-23-14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 09:20 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Taint3d
Guess im going to order 1 bulb from lexus see if thats it.. Was told by afew people that the ones i got were philips bulbs just that they didnt have it printed on them, but came from the same factory in germany then shipped to china to be put together.. It has the germany stamp on it or something like that.. A good friend that has used these bulbs 100 times in all sorts of diff cars have never had a problem. But I'm starting to wonder. Sometimes things that are to good to be true arnt so good. lol
If you listened to my advice from the start you wouldn't have an issue still.

Like I said, swap the bulbs, see if the faulty light follows the bulb or ballast. Once you realize it's the bulb, pick up a set from Xenondepot. The OEM ones will cost you a fortune and the Chinese bought ones are much more likely to be crap.
Old 01-12-15, 05:44 PM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by getafewliv
If you listened to my advice from the start you wouldn't have an issue still.

Like I said, swap the bulbs, see if the faulty light follows the bulb or ballast. Once you realize it's the bulb, pick up a set from Xenondepot. The OEM ones will cost you a fortune and the Chinese bought ones are much more likely to be crap.
Well finally got my bulbs in. So far so good. got the 5000k's from xenondepot. toook about 2 weeks to get them though. Man these are way brighter then the other bulbs. But i guess time will tell if these ones go out too, But so far 20 min of driving on the way home and they worked great.

Thanks for the help geta. BTW both bulbs were going out so trying the other wouldnt of helped.
Old 01-12-15, 06:53 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear it's all good now
Old 01-16-15, 06:43 AM
Stun350
Rookie

Hi guys! I'm experiencing both of my lights going out. After reading the thread I'm considering replacing the bulbs. Both of my headlights go out. Sometimes it's the left and other days its the right. I quickly notice this and switch them on and off and it turns it back on. I've been in this situation for months and it's time I move forward with new bulbs. Hope this takes care of this issue. Would appreciate any suggestion on bulbs and any other advice. Thanks!
Old 01-16-15, 09:19 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stun350
Hi guys! I'm experiencing both of my lights going out. After reading the thread I'm considering replacing the bulbs. Both of my headlights go out. Sometimes it's the left and other days its the right. I quickly notice this and switch them on and off and it turns it back on. I've been in this situation for months and it's time I move forward with new bulbs. Hope this takes care of this issue. Would appreciate any suggestion on bulbs and any other advice. Thanks!
My recommendation would be to get the Xenondepot bulbs. Pretty sure there's still a CL discount code that makes them very affordable. Most likely it's your bulbs and cheapest/easiest option to replace.

May be a good time to switch to 6000K bulbs for better visual appearance, if that's your taste.
Old 12-15-15, 02:22 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by getafewliv
You really should have just not been lazy and swapped the bulbs. Found the real issue, then gone from there.

If it's the bulb, you should have gotten 2 new bulbs, either OEM, Xenondepot or Garax bulbs and replaced both.

If it was the ballast, then just replace the one ballast.
Just wanted to post an update since I had specifically recommended Xenondepot bulbs.

After about a year and a half, one of my Xenondepot D4s 6000K bulbs has stopped igniting properly. After swapping the bulbs to verify, I contacted Xenondepot. Unfortunately, since it is after a year since the purchase, there is no warranty.

While they did reply promptly and offered a slightly discounted bulb, I have decided to try a set of Chinese bulbs instead. My fog light HIDS that were about $30 for bulbs and ballasts are still functioning properly, so I figure it's worth a shot with the headlights as well. Anytime my headlights are on, so are my fog lights and both were replaced at a similar time.