Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Inspecting high mileage IS350s

Old 07-09-14, 06:05 AM   #1
bryan11
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Inspecting high mileage IS350s

I 'm looking at a 2008 RWD IS350 with 117,000 miles. On many vehicles, this is the age one would expect to replace CV joints and struts. Is that true on 2IS? Are there any other items I should look at carefully or simply expect to replace soon?

If I buy this car, I'd like to drive it for another ten years so preventative maintenance can be key.

thanks,
Bryan
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
bryan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 06:09 AM   #2
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

water pump, some of the earlier IS had water pumps that would go early. Look for a pink crust on the front of the engine where the WP is or a metal chattery noise when the pump is spinning
Old 07-09-14, 07:09 AM   #3
idoke1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

I have over 150k miles on my 07 is350. I had never encounter the frooze navigation screen, water pump issue, or any other things related then just regular maintenance. I did encounter the "rattle" but it was a hit and miss. It came with a slight chill to me but it was due for an oil change. After that, it never came back.
Old 07-09-14, 08:26 AM   #4
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Yah the water pump is probably the most likely to be your major issue. Shocks will probably need to be replaced around that time as well if they haven't been done. For sure check the CV joints. They generally don't go bad but are very expensive to fix as you have to replace the entire axle if they go bad. Also check to see if all the recalls have been done.

All in all the IS is a very reliable car. With that many miles I would invest a $100 to have it checked out at a local dealer though.
Sportskid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 12:18 PM   #5
bryan11
Driver School Candidate

Well, I ended up purchasing it. The water pump was replaced recently and it needs new struts since they're factory and one is leaking. All maintenance was done at the local Lexus dealer and appears to be current. It's going to need 120K maintenance soon, so I need to start figuring out what I can do myself and what to leave to the mechanic. It's time to read the manual and start learning about maintenance items on this.
bryan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 09:30 PM   #6
idoke1
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan11 View Post
Well, I ended up purchasing it. The water pump was replaced recently and it needs new struts since they're factory and one is leaking. All maintenance was done at the local Lexus dealer and appears to be current. It's going to need 120K maintenance soon, so I need to start figuring out what I can do myself and what to leave to the mechanic. It's time to read the manual and start learning about maintenance items on this.
Don't worry too much. You got one of the most reliable vehicle brand and model. I would inspect spark plugs and replace structs. You should be worry free for the next 100k miles.
Old 07-12-14, 12:26 AM   #7
Re3iRtH
Driver

Not to threadjack, but I have a pink crust/dried foam on and around
the coolant cap. Anything to be worried about? Car is asymptomatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen View Post
water pump, some of the earlier IS had water pumps that would go early. Look for a pink crust on the front of the engine where the WP is or a metal chattery noise when the pump is spinning

2008 Honda S2000 - (Totalled by teenager @ 36k)
1997 Honda Civic EX - (Driven for 7+ years, sold @ 155k)
Re3iRtH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 03:22 PM   #8
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re3iRtH View Post
Not to threadjack, but I have a pink crust/dried foam on and around
the coolant cap. Anything to be worried about? Car is asymptomatic.
Totally normal; that was the first thing I worried about after I got my used IS350. But the cap just doesn't seal well enough and it drizzles out a tad bit over time. My water pump was even replaced previously, and it still does it.

Now, back to the OP. Save yourself some $$$, and do the bulk of the 120k maintenance yourself. Air filters (engine & in-cabin), spark plugs, diff fluid exchange (if not done previously), replace those worn/leaky shocks, coolant flush perhaps, brake fluid flush (if fluid color is darker than "honey"), and perhaps an alignment (if needed). Oh, of course have the brakes checked out.

Enjoy your purchase, and post pics!!!
Old 07-12-14, 03:22 PM