IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The ongoing success of the 2IS

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 02:44 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts
Default The ongoing success of the 2IS

I'm quite amazed and happy for Lexus this current car is still selling very well despite it's age. I am still seeing many brand new IS's on the road. I believe the styling is the number one reason this car is appealing, along with the attractive lease programs that have been offered for several years now.

About 10 years from now, I am confident this car is going to be looked at as one of those big success stories in the company's history. Also believe this will be a sought after used car for those who want to play on a bit of nestalgia and memories. It's one of those all-time successful designs, like the clean and simple Honda Accords of the 90's, that anchor a company's longterm credibility and stability. Whoever designed this model really did his homework and deserves to be patted on the back.
Old 09-12-10, 07:58 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus they are the cutest car of the Lexus line up.
Old 09-12-10, 08:14 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm quite amazed and happy for Lexus this current car is still selling very well despite it's age. I am still seeing many brand new IS's on the road. I believe the styling is the number one reason this car is appealing, along with the attractive lease programs that have been offered for several years now.

About 10 years from now, I am confident this car is going to be looked at as one of those big success stories in the company's history. Also believe this will be a sought after used car for those who want to play on a bit of nestalgia and memories. It's one of those all-time successful designs, like the clean and simple Honda Accords of the 90's, that anchor a company's longterm credibility and stability. Whoever designed this model really did his homework and deserves to be patted on the back.
Totally agree with your view point...
Old 09-12-10, 09:14 AM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i love the style of the is, although not a big fan of the new face lift
Old 09-12-10, 10:40 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate facelifts.
Rather make a new design.
Old 09-12-10, 11:56 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the new facelift although I honestly was expecting a redesign after all these years. I was a fan of the 1IS design but I only started liking the 2IS design once I saw the modded ones on this forum. Still, I like the 2IS design better than the German counterparts; looks more contemporary.
Old 09-12-10, 12:01 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The stock IS looks really clean and has great lines. Was a big hit in my mind when I first saw it!
Old 09-12-10, 12:58 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

to me the new fogs in the new facelift looks like the one in the corolla s
Old 09-12-10, 01:20 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Plus they are the cutest car of the Lexus line up.
My car. Is not. Cute.

But I agree, I think (and hope) the current design will be an instant classic, just like the E46 was for the bimmer (beemer?).
Old 09-12-10, 01:58 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lexus has thinking along the same lines as Porsche, BMW etc. in the sense that cars should not undergo radical bodystyle changes every few years if the cosmetic appeal is well thought-out in the first place. A good looking car that has a long production run is held in much higher regard than whatever fad the lower-end car makers are chasing year after year.

For a model to take on any sort of true character and build a "cult following" (lol), it is important that each iteration looks like slightly evolved offpspring from the generation before.

I'll use a good example of this: Porsche 911... the car has a basic character that has morphed only slightly decade after decade.

A not so good example: My last car was a 5th generation Maxima. The 6th generation looked absolutely nothing like the 5th. The 7th generation looks absolutely nothing like the 6th. It's like they are the bastard child of an unknown father
Old 09-12-10, 02:01 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes lets pat each other on the back
Old 09-12-10, 03:14 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

yeah! 2is ftw
Old 09-12-10, 04:07 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trixxx519
to me the new fogs in the new facelift looks like the one in the corolla s
i thought the same thing, but i do love the styling and lights on my 2010. wayy to go Lexus!
Old 09-12-10, 05:20 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What amazes me is that for a platform that is now 6 years old, the performance aftermarket following is absolutely appalling.
Lack of tuning, lack of ECU hacks, lack of Nav hacks, lack of proper camber and suspension parts, lack of improved steering components, missing aftermarket service manuals, it goes on and on,....
Shows this car is completely off the performance market radar for real mods. I thought the Audi line was bad, but if you had the money, many performance gains were readily available! Not so with our Lexus line.

I guess its not all the cars fault.... if 2IS owners really wanted actual "technical" improvements to the model, and were willing to pay for them, they would appear. After 6 years it must be obvious that this car is not owned by that type of car fan, or there are just too few of them for a company to warrant the R&D time.

I like my IS, but there are so many weak points in the design that should have been remedied by the aftermarket industry yet alone Lexus, but we still see nothing. A wonderful car yes, but one that is frustrating to own, knowing you can never fix any of its flaws.

2cents
Old 09-12-10, 05:33 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
What amazes me is that for a platform that is now 6 years old, the performance aftermarket following is absolutely appalling...
umm... the is350 has 11.8:1 compression ratio, do you understand the meaning of this? forget FI. ECU hack? how much do you really think you'll gain? we got a 4.08 rear end, you want more?... our cars come 'tuned' there is really not much more you can do...

you want more power? buy some lower compression pistons then you can boost all you want, its only takes money afterall~

i do agree with a service manual thou... all this 'online subscription' bs is just BS... when im tinkering with my car not gonna run in to 'look it up'... it needs to be on the fender with the pages getting all greasy like how it should be...

Last edited by llamaboiz; 09-12-10 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: The ongoing success of the 2IS