Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Car won't start, help!

Old 05-06-14, 07:52 PM   #1
MizzIS300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Car won't start, help!

For some reason my car died on me while I was driving in traffic on the freeway. This would happen sometimes, but I would just turn it right back on while driving and throw it into the correct gear and it would start right up. This time it didn't though so I pulled over. I tried to start the car and it would crank but not start. Someone stopped to help me try to jump my car, and at first it didn't help, but on the second try it did. So I drove off for not even a mile and the car dies again. And then my battery died. Once I got it towed to my house, I check the battery and it was charged, and I tested the igniter with a good one, and it still wouldn't start. My bf found that there was no spark at any cylindersgoing I'm not sure what the issue can be. It's not the cool packs because I just swapped them onto my new is300. A while back I installed the jdm cooling fans and found that my car would die at idle, so we unplugged one of the fans and it fixed the issue as far as I know(not sure if this is relavent to my current issue). There is an aftermarket alarm system that was installed on the car years before I bought it, and I never use it because it's so sensitive. Also I had a very sketchy locksmith make me a new key (it didn't even lock the doors when inserted into the door) this was done months before my car died though. And I just got a new key made and it still didn't fix any problems. My car also has 240,000 miles on it, so it's pretty old.
Please give me any advice that might help. Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
MizzIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 03:33 AM   #2
James4394
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzIS300 View Post
For some reason my car died on me while I was driving in traffic on the freeway. This would happen sometimes, but I would just turn it right back on while driving and throw it into the correct gear and it would start right up. This time it didn't though so I pulled over. I tried to start the car and it would crank but not start. Someone stopped to help me try to jump my car, and at first it didn't help, but on the second try it did. So I drove off for not even a mile and the car dies again. And then my battery died. Once I got it towed to my house, I check the battery and it was charged, and I tested the igniter with a good one, and it still wouldn't start. My bf found that there was no spark at any cylindersgoing I'm not sure what the issue can be. It's not the cool packs because I just swapped them onto my new is300. A while back I installed the jdm cooling fans and found that my car would die at idle, so we unplugged one of the fans and it fixed the issue as far as I know(not sure if this is relavent to my current issue). There is an aftermarket alarm system that was installed on the car years before I bought it, and I never use it because it's so sensitive. Also I had a very sketchy locksmith make me a new key (it didn't even lock the doors when inserted into the door) this was done months before my car died though. And I just got a new key made and it still didn't fix any problems. My car also has 240,000 miles on it, so it's pretty old. Please give me any advice that might help. Thanks!
sounds like the fuel pump
James4394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 09:07 PM   #3
Schmitt605
Driver School Candidate

i agree with James4394, fuel pump
Schmitt605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 09:07 PM