IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tips for washing/drying obsidian paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 04:36 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Well you got a lot of input about how to wash/dry your car but that front end looks mean with those updated headlights.. Any feeling to add a front a lip?

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-17-16, 04:37 PM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car! Unfortunately our paint is very soft so swirls will come easy. Proper washing and drying technique will help a lil bit.

As far for tips and products, I'll recommend to get the car glass coated, 22ple FTW. To maintain the glass coat I use a pH balanced soap from Chemical Guys with a good wash mitt combined with the double bucket method and dirt guard. Also I use Permanon which I really like (is expensive tho, but worth it as is concentrated), and then blow dry the car with a hand held air blaster and finished up with microfiber towel.

Hope it helps. Good luck!
Old 03-17-16, 07:31 PM
ISFtech
Driver School Candidate

WOW! This forum is very responsive...I like!

It looks like I'll be spending a lot of time (money) on the ChemicalGuys website. The car will most likely receive some type of sealant, Jetseal seems to work nice but I know there are more options out there. I will have to do my research and quick. The car is on a trailer headed my way and will need an immediate bath.
Old 03-17-16, 08:02 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a California gelly blade from Autogeek, no problems with it. It gets 70% of the water off the paint with ease and never hurt anything. I then use microfiber drying towels.

You need to wash and claybar this paint since you don't know if that was done or not, and you don't know what products were used. If you never used clay bar before, let me someone experienced help you.

If there are scratches, you'll need to do some paint correction.

You should buy a 5 gallon detailer washing bucket with gritt guard and a high quality mitt. Use that to wash the car with a good quality car shampoo (NOT Dawn!!). Don't use it on the wheels, for those you'll need some good quality brushes and Poorboy's wheel cleaner or P21S wheel cleaner. You can buy a basic bucket for the wheels at HomeDepot. Don't mix the water from the wheels and what you use to wash the paint.

I also like to have a leaf blower or vac blower to get the water out of the door handles, and other areas.

If you really want to get fancy, get the wheels off and clean the fender wells and the wheels by hand.

I can go on and on, but you get the idea.

I use Rejex sealant and it looks great, I don't bother with wax anymore.

Almost forgot, avoid car washes of any kind.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 03-17-16 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-17-16, 09:11 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would recommend Chemical guys.

OptiCoat Ceramic coating would be a great idea

Xpel clear wrap the front bumper would be an item to look into.

Use a leaf blower or buy a dryer for car.
Old 03-17-16, 09:17 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFtech
WOW! This forum is very responsive...I like!

It looks like I'll be spending a lot of time (money) on the ChemicalGuys website. The car will most likely receive some type of sealant, Jetseal seems to work nice but I know there are more options out there. I will have to do my research and quick. The car is on a trailer headed my way and will need an immediate bath.
Oh god. this forum is super responsive about everything. LOVE IT!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-18-16, 07:46 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a black one also and it's the 3 rd black car I've own . Keep the California blade , I've never had a problem with it at all as long as no dirt or debris on it would rinse before using it also don't forget to rinse the wash mitt too (hand wash only in the shade is bests) or u will get water spots then after dry with shammy , then I would spray wax it to finish it up .( one soft towel to apply then another to dry ) trust me a lot of work with obsidian cars but after u finished it'll be worth it
Old 03-18-16, 10:37 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

I bought a ton of cleaning supplies from Chemical Guys. Top of the line I must say. Car always looks wet.

I use a leaf blower to dry my car off. That way you dont get swirls.

Never take it to a car wash that isnt touchless. You will be screwed.

Invest in good car wash and polishers. Its so worth it. For years I wasted time and energy to get a barley clean car. Better products, better shine. Put my word on it.

www.chemicalguys.com
Old 03-18-16, 12:00 PM
nicklausw
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a whole lot of interesting advice here. It is my understanding that Obsidian Black is notoriously soft, which means the less you touch it the lesser the chance of marring. For the most part products are products. I would not get real hung on up the brand permitting it is a professional quality. You should be spending your money on high end towels for rinsless wash, drying, etc. I would also purchase a high end wash mitt. That said the result is only as good as your process. Meaning if you are using a single wash bucket with no grit guard then you are going to be grinding all the debris you just removed from the previous panel into the next. Here is a good tutorial to follow for the wash process. http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...and-dry-a-car/
Old 03-18-16, 12:30 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Use that to wash the car with a good quality car shampoo (NOT Dawn!!).
Blue Dawn is actually ok to use when wanting to start fresh and from a clean slate. Many car shampoos are not strong enough, or should I say not formulated, to completely strip wax or sealants completely. Dawn will completely strip everything off the paint. Zaino actually recommends this before starting their products. It is not good to use Dawn for every single wash, but just to start over.
Old 03-18-16, 12:33 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Do yourself a favor and wrap PPF on the whole car, it will save you time, money, and will keep you from worrying about swirls.

This one time I went to a do it yourself car wash place, I use the brush there on my car and it shined the car up real nicely, no swirls or scratches, well it probably had scratches in some way but they faded and I couldn't tell within the hour.
Old 03-18-16, 12:38 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

MY ROOMMATE F IS SUPER CLEAN FOR A BLACK CAR, HE CLEANS IT PRETTY OFTEN AND USING THOSE WAX PRODUCT FOR BLACK CAR EVERYONE WHO SEEN HIS BLACK F WILL SAY WOW PRETTY SUPER CLEAN LOLZ . DAMN YOU SAMMO LOLZ
Old 03-18-16, 01:54 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
Blue Dawn is actually ok to use when wanting to start fresh and from a clean slate. Many car shampoos are not strong enough, or should I say not formulated, to completely strip wax or sealants completely. Dawn will completely strip everything off the paint. Zaino actually recommends this before starting their products. It is not good to use Dawn for every single wash, but just to start over.
Sure, if he wants to strip everything down, then he can use it, otherwise, no.

The Claybar will do the job.

I just detailed a white IS-F for 6 hours last weekend for a member here, and the clay bar was working overtime.

I use Poorboy's car shampoo or Meguiar's, works very well.

OP:

Another good thing to have is an electric power washer, no more 1600 psi. I don't even bother with the hose anymore.

Also, you should wash early morning or later afternoon. Don't bother washing it the mid day sun unless you're going to polish the paint, you'll get water spots. The only exception is if you have a nice garage, you can pull the car in while it's wet and then dry it, so the sun won't ruin the day.
Old 03-18-16, 09:00 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My recommendation would to get a ceramic, titanium, or glass coating on there such as Opticoat Pro/Pro+, Gtechniq Crystal Serum, Modesta BC4, or Cquartz finest. Not only does the superhydrophobic properties make the car much easier to clean (and stay cleaner longer), the coating is more scratch resistant (not scratch-proof) than the soft Lexus black. Next, look into Optimum No Rinse wash, (Rinselss wash) and start washing your car religiously every week inside your garage, away from the heat/sun. Heat is your enemy when it comes to your paint.