Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint Adhesion Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 04:29 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Paint Adhesion Tips

Can anyone please advise me on what the best way to get paint to stick? I've used a primer and the primer seems to bond very well to the surface but the actual main basecoat doesnt seem to bond very well to the primer.

I made the original surface rough by wet sanding and then i primer it and then i do a very small amount of wet sanding on that primer and after that i just build up the layers of the basecoat and apply clear coat but it still seems that the basecoat isnt bonding well to the primer

Someone suggested that just before i spray the first layer of basecoat, i should apply another layer of primer and this time not let the primer dry and spray a thin layer of basecoat on it. will this work?

any tips from anyone?
Old 04-26-10, 07:38 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
Can anyone please advise me on what the best way to get paint to stick? I've used a primer and the primer seems to bond very well to the surface but the actual main basecoat doesnt seem to bond very well to the primer.

I made the original surface rough by wet sanding and then i primer it and then i do a very small amount of wet sanding on that primer and after that i just build up the layers of the basecoat and apply clear coat but it still seems that the basecoat isnt bonding well to the primer

Someone suggested that just before i spray the first layer of basecoat, i should apply another layer of primer and this time not let the primer dry and spray a thin layer of basecoat on it. will this work?

any tips from anyone?
This could be an issue of improper bonding and curing. Make sure the primer is compatible with the basecoat, and the basecoat is compatible with the clear. Follow manufacturer's direction, make sure the weather is right, and make sure to not contaminate between layers.
Old 04-28-10, 08:58 AM
StasGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you painting and with what products?
Old 04-28-10, 09:33 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StasGS4
what are you painting and with what products?

Metal and plastic require different prep work. Also, as said before, you need to make sure that the primer, base, and clear are compatible with each other.