IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

WOT downshift, is yours the same?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 07:05 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts
Default WOT downshift, is yours the same?

I would assume it is but just want to check.

Following videos are in sport mode/automatic.

Above 40mph, wot downshift is fairly quick, just a slight delay.

Below 40mph, it's feels like it hangs up in an intermediate gear before finding 2nd and taking off. Quite a big delay between wide open throttle and the car actually accelerating.

Am I asking too much for it to be nearly instant? Maybe. Just frustrating when the original trans in my 59 Cadillac downshifts faster at 35mph.

My car has had the gas pedal recall done. I'm interested to hear from people who have not had this done, does your car downshift the same?

At 42mph- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpUe...ature=youtu.be

At 37mph- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfMY...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-28-15, 08:18 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I would assume it is but just want to check.

Following videos are in sport mode/automatic.

Above 40mph, wot downshift is fairly quick, just a slight delay.

Below 40mph, it's feels like it hangs up in an intermediate gear before finding 2nd and taking off. Quite a big delay between wide open throttle and the car actually accelerating.

Am I asking too much for it to be nearly instant? Maybe. Just frustrating when the original trans in my 59 Cadillac downshifts faster at 35mph.

My car has had the gas pedal recall done. I'm interested to hear from people who have not had this done, does your car downshift the same?

At 42mph- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpUe...ature=youtu.be

At 37mph- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfMY...ature=youtu.be
While not exactly a test held under optimum scientific conditions, I agree there is a difference. Every F I have driven, including my own, does this.
Old 10-29-15, 05:11 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I take comfort in knowing that this happens to others as well. I went as far as having my transmission fluid level checked (found to be normal), cleaning the MAF, and trying it a various temps/times. Not a biggie with the choice to go manual, but it is occasionally inconvenient during overtaking or moments when you want that extra second of time in auto.
Old 10-29-15, 06:37 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

mine does this as well.
Old 10-29-15, 07:11 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Helo58
Well, I take comfort in knowing that this happens to others as well. I went as far as having my transmission fluid level checked (found to be normal), cleaning the MAF, and trying it a various temps/times. Not a biggie with the choice to go manual, but it is occasionally inconvenient during overtaking or moments when you want that extra second of time in auto.
+1 I too did this for the same reason OP stated. Turns out I was just a little overfill on my ATF.
Old 10-29-15, 09:31 AM
pat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a apexi throttle controller. It makes a huge difference in the throttle response and trans shifts.
Old 10-29-15, 02:00 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Interesting development... I just put the stock airbox and afe dry drop-in back in the car (removed K&N intake and oiled filter) and the change in shift smoothness is noticeably different. Down-shifts are quicker and smoother in auto-mode and rev matches in manual mode are improved with respect to smoothness too.

During the visit, the tech stated that trans fluid was checked and found to be within limits with nothing added. So there was no intentional adjustment of fluids. After reading about how the sensors (throttle position, MAF value, rpm, steering angle, etc.) affect transmission shift behaviors I guess it is feasible that the flow over the MAF sensor in the stock housing could be less turbulent (or just different) and could make a difference.

I love this car because it is always fun, but it sometimes leaves me shaking my head with some of its fickle tendencies. Haha.
Old 10-29-15, 05:16 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Now that you mention this... i have the same issue, below 40 the car downshifts quick. Anything above it rev matches a little slower with a deeper pitch. Still sounds cool though. Relieved to hear others do this as well, although i've disregarded it, but in the back of my mind kinda wondered.
Old 10-29-15, 06:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Interesting development... I just put the stock airbox and afe dry drop-in back in the car (removed K&N intake and oiled filter) and the change in shift smoothness is noticeably different. Down-shifts are quicker and smoother in auto-mode and rev matches in manual mode are improved with respect to smoothness too.

During the visit, the tech stated that trans fluid was checked and found to be within limits with nothing added. So there was no intentional adjustment of fluids. After reading about how the sensors (throttle position, MAF value, rpm, steering angle, etc.) affect transmission shift behaviors I guess it is feasible that the flow over the MAF sensor in the stock housing could be less turbulent (or just different) and could make a difference.

I love this car because it is always fun, but it sometimes leaves me shaking my head with some of its fickle tendencies. Haha.
You got BS'd on the fluid check. There is no such thing as "within limits," there is only some came out or some didn't. If none came out, it is low. If some came out, then it is correct. It sounds like your tech didn't do what he was supposed to do if it is "within limits."
Old 10-30-15, 01:28 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You got BS'd on the fluid check. There is no such thing as "within limits," there is only some came out or some didn't. If none came out, it is low. If some came out, then it is correct. It sounds like your tech didn't do what he was supposed to do if it is "within limits."
Sorry, those were my words not theirs. I provided them with the procedure referenced in the ATF change thread on this forum and they were familiar with it. I actually had to return the following day to allow the car to cool prior to them performing the procedure. In any event, and for whatever reason, the car shifts so much better since the check and the intake change. I am pleased. On a side note, I also found out that the self-dimming rear view mirror is in-op. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the replacement is over $800. Thank goodness for warranties!
Old 10-30-15, 03:32 PM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not surprising. I've experienced the same in prior cars and it's more proof why filters on sticks are a waste of cash and almost always result in worse performance and reduced drivability.

The likely reason why there's a delay at just under 40mph is because you're asking for a downshift in a spot where the engine computer could select one of two gears for ideal acceleration. It evaluates your steering angle, G load, throttle input % requested, tranny fluid temp, etc. among a handful of other variables and considerations. The engine computer is likely trying to make the decision on whether the downshift would cause a loss of control. The end result is a delayed response in automatic mode.