IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE/Sikky Headers w/or w/out cats question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 07:27 PM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PPE/Sikky Headers w/or w/out cats question

Hi, new '08 F owner in central Texas looking to get headers and JoeZ exhaust installed this year. Sorry if this question is redundant but I didn't find the answer in a thread. I want to install headers but still pass my emissions inspection. I know that adding the JoeZ exhaust will remove two of the four stock cats on the F, and as far as I can tell if I take off the stock headers it will remove the other two cats. The upgraded headers can come with or w/out cats.

My question is will only one cat on each side still pass the insp? Or for that matter will a high flow cat(one on each side) pass the insp? I'm assuming no cats will not pass insp at all. I appreciate any feedback, especially anyone that has first hand knowledge passing emissions with their F and has either of these headers installed here in Texas.
Old 07-01-12, 07:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Search and you will find. This issue has been talked about many times. In a nutshell:

It is illegal to tamper with working stock cats - PERIOD! That means all four of them. With that being said, you will probably pass the sniffer with aftermarket High Flow cats, but you would never pass the visual, if the inspector knows or cares about what he/she is doing.

And, I happen to be a PPE owner with a modified exhaust and HiFlow cats.

Lou
Old 07-01-12, 08:21 PM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lou. Im inbetween Sikky and PPE, is there any drone with the PPE and high flow cats? I bought mine with a muffler delete and the drone can get annoying.
Old 07-01-12, 09:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^IMHO, there will be drone with a third party exhaust. See these two threads.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...emissions.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...z-exhuast.html

It appears drone is a personal experience. I have driven in an F, with stock headers and the JoeZ exhaust and the same F with PPE, no cats and the JoeZ. Both experiences had drone, again IMHO. Other members of this forum say otherwise. That's why I say it's a personal thing

My exhaust, IMHO, sounds great, produces power (though not as much as a catless JoeZ) and has absolutely no drone.

http://youtu.be/stqr-gE06TM

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-01-12 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-17-22, 09:27 AM
TXGS430
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

@sickpuppy Hey man I am currently running ppe catless headers to a full Joe Z catback and a titanium intake elbow with drop in high flow filter. I see you mentioned you are running welded in high flows .. What are your thoughts does it really tame the sound all that much. low key i love the way mine sounds but i would consider welding in high flow cats if it would clean up the engine note a little bit as well as give me a little bit more induction noise. Your feed back would be much much appreciated!
Old 03-17-22, 12:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Can't really answer your question as I have never run without cats. IMHO, having catalytic converters in an exhaust system is the socially responsible thing to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
Joe Z (03-19-22), lobuxracer (03-17-22)
Old 03-18-22, 06:26 AM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by elowderm
Hi, new '08 F owner in central Texas looking to get headers and JoeZ exhaust installed this year. Sorry if this question is redundant but I didn't find the answer in a thread. I want to install headers but still pass my emissions inspection. I know that adding the JoeZ exhaust will remove two of the four stock cats on the F, and as far as I can tell if I take off the stock headers it will remove the other two cats. The upgraded headers can come with or w/out cats.

My question is will only one cat on each side still pass the insp? Or for that matter will a high flow cat(one on each side) pass the insp? I'm assuming no cats will not pass insp at all. I appreciate any feedback, especially anyone that has first hand knowledge passing emissions with their F and has either of these headers installed here in Texas.
I live near Dallas. I recently got the RR Racing intake, tune and the PPE headers (stock exhaust). I am only running 2 of the 4 cats since the new headers don't have them. I just got the car inspected last week and it passed no problem. I am not certain, but if you do headers without a tune you will throw a code and probably not pass. The tune fixes this. I hope that answers your question.
Old 03-18-22, 03:32 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm FBO + tuned and used to be stationed in Killeen. I have Magnaflow hi-flow cats that I purchased from RR Racing when I got my headers. I didn't want to smell exhaust fumes all the time. The cats help cut it down by like 70%-80%. I also replaced the pressure vents in the trunk as mine were dry rotted and the fumes were going into the cabin before. I think they are worth it. Now they sell the PPE headers with GESi cats welded to them.
The following 3 users liked this post by xdejablu3x:
Joe Z (03-19-22), lobuxracer (03-18-22), Rickna (03-20-22)
Old 03-21-22, 05:51 AM
MartinsISF
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXGS430
@sickpuppy Hey man I am currently running ppe catless headers to a full Joe Z catback and a titanium intake elbow with drop in high flow filter. I see you mentioned you are running welded in high flows .. What are your thoughts does it really tame the sound all that much. low key i love the way mine sounds but i would consider welding in high flow cats if it would clean up the engine note a little bit as well as give me a little bit more induction noise. Your feed back would be much much appreciated!
The high flow cats definitely made a noticeable difference in the sound for me. I had my PPE EL headers installed last year and ran without cats at first. Once my GESI cats (the cheaper version) were installed it really did clean up the sound quite a bit (less raspy and reduced drone a bit). I did it mostly for the smell, which it helped a lot, but the sound improvements were great as well - sounds more refined.

Also, as mentioned somewhere else, replacing those vent flaps in the trunk is highly recommended - I had mine done a few months later and it was a HUGE improvement!