IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight beam aim/height adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 05:41 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight beam aim/height adjustment

After upgrading to F sport springs and struts, the already low aiming headlights became even lower.

I looked up the instructions on how to raise/lower the headlight beam aim/height adjustment via the 10mm bolt on the rear driver side suspension arm, and paid someone to use their lift to adjust it. It was initially set in the middle, and lowering the bolt was supposed to raise the aim/height--not wanting to go overboard, I moved the bolt to about 5mm from the bottom. Unfortunately it was still light out so I couldn't see the effects until I got home, but I barely notice any difference in beam height after the adjustment.

For those who had success, did you move the bolt all the way to the bottom? Was that sufficient or did you have to also adjust the cogs behind the headlight enclosure?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-17, 06:14 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I've never heard of headlight aim adjustment with a bolt on the suspension arm - unless it's the AFS height sensor - then I don't know why you're adjusting it to fix aim. Anyways, since I assume your headlights are pointing straight, you should be able to fix it by turning the "cogs" behind the headlight enclosure with a philips screwdriver. Line your car up with a wall and flat surface, mark the bottom of the lights on the wall, back up about 15 ft, turn screw driver to turn cogs until lights are at desired level
Old 01-04-17, 06:18 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

^^ Thats what I did shortly after I bought the car, because I noticed the aim was too low. Same number of turns for the horizontal adjustment as the vertical one. I did not do any further adjustment after I lowered with F-Sport springs. Im content with how they aim now. No AFS light and no messing with the height sensor
Old 01-11-17, 01:18 AM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aspect
I've never heard of headlight aim adjustment with a bolt on the suspension arm - unless it's the AFS height sensor - then I don't know why you're adjusting it to fix aim. Anyways, since I assume your headlights are pointing straight, you should be able to fix it by turning the "cogs" behind the headlight enclosure with a philips screwdriver. Line your car up with a wall and flat surface, mark the bottom of the lights on the wall, back up about 15 ft, turn screw driver to turn cogs until lights are at desired level
This is the thread that led me to believe I could adjust the headlight aim using the AFS level sensor:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...djustment.html

I was hoping to not have to use the cog method because I don't have my own garage or an open space where I can take my time to make adjustments since I live in a condo complex. Supposedly it works but as I mentioned before, moving the bolt didn't do anything. Perhaps there is something wrong with my sensors or headlights?
Old 01-11-17, 07:00 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by edhohoho
This is the thread that led me to believe I could adjust the headlight aim using the AFS level sensor:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...djustment.html

I was hoping to not have to use the cog method because I don't have my own garage or an open space where I can take my time to make adjustments since I live in a condo complex. Supposedly it works but as I mentioned before, moving the bolt didn't do anything. Perhaps there is something wrong with my sensors or headlights?
The process should be legitimate if lobuxracer posted it, but if it's not working for you then maybe the cog method would be better. In terms of finding an open space with relatively flat grounds I would suggest going for a cruise around your neighborhood and scouting some spots out. My perfect spot was a parking spot facing a wall at my local strip mall very late at night after they've closed.
Old 01-11-17, 10:26 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aspect
The process should be legitimate if lobuxracer posted it, but if it's not working for you then maybe the cog method would be better. In terms of finding an open space with relatively flat grounds I would suggest going for a cruise around your neighborhood and scouting some spots out. My perfect spot was a parking spot facing a wall at my local strip mall very late at night after they've closed.

I always thought I had AFS but I didn't keep the spec sheet that came with my car so I did some research and used the switch to the left of the steering column and found out I don't have the AFS setting. Didn't know that AFS only came with luxury package. No wonder moving the sensor bolt didn't have an effect. So, in the end, the sensor bolt adjustment is an easy way to adjust both headlights at the same time only if you have AFS.