IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sportshift, I don't get it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 04:12 AM
n8236
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportshift, I don't get it!

What's w/ the IS350's sportshift? It's all weird!

My previous two cars w/ ss was simple. You shift up when you hit the desired rpm. Down shift manually when you want more kick. Also down shifts automatically to correct gear given the car's speed.

Am I missing something or the IS's ss freakin' stupid as 3hit lol.

I can shift up when I want, good! I can down shift when I want too, also good!

But wtf is up w/ it when you slow down?!!?! Say u're rolling in 3rd gear and you come to a stop sign. The system display will show it's in gear 3, but mechanically it's in gear 1. WTF?! Then it auto shifts to 3rd for you when the system reaches its desired speed.

I mean, it doesn't make any sense. Your display shows 4th gear, but you're coming off the line at 1st gear not being able to take control of it until it reaches 4th on its own. (Though u can still down shift for more rpms).
Old 01-19-08, 05:08 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not really a manual. It's a highest gear selector. If you leave it in 4th, it will only up to 4th gear. But when slowing down or stopping, it's just like a regular auto, it goes down to first. So if you want the "manual" effect, you would have to downshift to first when stopping.
Old 01-19-08, 06:29 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by n8236

But wtf is up w/ it when you slow down?!!?! Say u're rolling in 3rd gear and you come to a stop sign. The system display will show it's in gear 3, but mechanically it's in gear 1. WTF?! Then it auto shifts to 3rd for you when the system reaches its desired speed.

I mean, it doesn't make any sense. Your display shows 4th gear, but you're coming off the line at 1st gear not being able to take control of it until it reaches 4th on its own. (Though u can still down shift for more rpms).
Yeah, you are missing something. If you look in the manual you will see that what the system dispay shows isn't the gear that the car is in, but rather the highest gear it will select - so if it shows "3" then it will select 1-2-3, but no higher. It will still drop down to 1st when you come to a stop whether the display says 2, 3,4, 5, or 6.
Old 01-19-08, 06:51 AM
Shinedown
Driver

My previous two cars w/ ss was simple. You shift up when you hit the desired rpm. Down shift manually when you want more kick. Also down shifts automatically to correct gear given the car's speed.

Just a suggestion... When using ss mode change the display to show the current gear. It does help the enjoyment of the manual shift mode.
Old 01-19-08, 08:37 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinedown
Just a suggestion... When using ss mode change the display to show the current gear. It does help the enjoyment of the manual shift mode.
yea i do taht as well, its the best way for u to make the most of the ss mode
Old 01-19-08, 08:40 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

I have to agree. While my IS350 auto is infinitely better performance wise as my old Acura TL Type S, at least the TL would give me better gears when I switched over to manual. All in all, I still wouldn’t trade the IS350 auto for anything except a proper manual. I always find myself switching into sport mode and having to shift down 2 or 3 times.
Old 01-19-08, 09:00 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

it is just the gear limiter... that mean you could set the highest gear position... now really shift up at as you wanted... it does shift down gear as you wish thou..
Old 01-19-08, 09:34 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

I wish 350 came out with a MT.
Old 01-20-08, 08:49 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Great advise on changing the display to the gear changes, but it's still freakin' stupid as Hell that it upshifts for you. What were they thinking?! God, it really takes away so much from the car.......maybe i should just sell it and buy a Cadillac CTS instead -_-;
Old 01-20-08, 10:37 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Great advise on changing the display to the gear changes, but it's still freakin' stupid as Hell that it upshifts for you. What were they thinking?! God, it really takes away so much from the car.......maybe i should just sell it and buy a Cadillac CTS instead -_-;
Though I understand that it's not a full manual, what is it doing that you don't like?

If the car leaves it in 3rd or 4th at a stop, wouldn't the car stall at best, ruin parts at worst? No manual driver would start in 3rd or 4th anyway.

And if you want to prevent it from upshifting, just lower your gear selection, like a manual. I don't get what's so "frekin' stupid" about that.

Sorry to hear that this bothers you so much to the point where you'd take a depreciation hit and move to a Cadillac, which is not without its own issues.
Old 01-20-08, 10:57 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Sirkfc, I see where you are coming from. I'll have to try the ss more.

I just don't like the fact that I have to manually downshift it to 1st or 2nd on every stop i make because the driver will then have to know which gear they are currently on and match it when paddles. And if mismatched, engine break comes into play and that is bad for the car right?

But I do like my car a lot, don't get me wrong But I like the CTS too, it's really hawt lol.
Old 01-20-08, 11:16 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Sirkfc, I see where you are coming from. I'll have to try the ss more.

I just don't like the fact that I have to manually downshift it to 1st or 2nd on every stop i make because the driver will then have to know which gear they are currently on and match it when paddles. And if mismatched, engine break comes into play and that is bad for the car right?
I don't quite get what your trying to say about mismatching? If you downshift to 1st, it only stays at first then you shift to 2nd. The car won't go to higher gear than 2nd til you shift to 3rd, 4th, etc... So I don't quite get the "mismatched" gear since the car won't shift higher than what you selected. It sounds like you don't want to downshift it manually to 1st and 2nd but would like to upshift to 3rd and 4th? As stated before, why would you want the car to start in 3rd or 4th gear? Your statements, as I understand it, is contradicting each other or just sounds like your not going to be happy with any SportShift Automatic cars out there.