IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation problem, needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 04:57 AM
SkyIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation problem, needs help!

This morning when I started up my car, I found out that nothing is display on the navigation screen(just like you put it in Screen Off Mode). I hit MAP and other buttons, nothing comes up.

When I back up my car, the back up camera screen does not work also. I also found out that I cannot control the air conditioning by using those buttons, not from the screen since there is nothing on the screen.

Do you guys know what is the possible cause of my problem? The car runs fine and no light is on. Everything was working last night and nothing being done. All I did to the car the past free days are installed two headrest DVD systems in a Lexus dealer and try the navigation bypass(the MENU VOLUME trick). One more note, it is not cold outside, it is in the 50's.

Any help is good, since I live 90 miles away from my dealer. Thanks!
Old 11-30-06, 05:30 AM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Did you install the headrests or did the dealer? Something, like a wire or a plug may have been loosened or cut. Its up to you what you want to do take it to a dealer or pull the headunit yourself. BTW pulling the headunit is actually pretty easy.
Old 11-30-06, 05:36 AM
SkyIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
Did you install the headrests or did the dealer? Something, like a wire or a plug may have been loosened or cut. Its up to you what you want to do take it to a dealer or pull the headunit yourself. BTW pulling the headunit is actually pretty easy.
My dealer installed the unit for me, but I know that it sent my car to an outside company to do the installation.
Old 11-30-06, 06:33 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 273 Likes on 242 Posts

My first suggestion would be to check the fuse. If that was okay, I'd bring it to the dealer; that's what the warranty is for.
Old 11-30-06, 02:21 PM
x986
Rookie

Agreed. I have made most, if not all mistakes possible trying the nav. bypass. Sometime I had to "reboot" the car to get everything back, but it always came back. Sounds like an installation error on the dealers part.
Old 01-16-07, 10:09 AM
BIGLU12
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same problem. no navigation etc. I've checked all the possible. The navigation hack has been done but the installer cannot resolve the problem. Sky Is did u ever figure out what the problem was.???????
Old 01-16-07, 11:51 AM
SkyIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BIGLU12
I am having the same problem. no navigation etc. I've checked all the possible. The navigation hack has been done but the installer cannot resolve the problem. Sky Is did u ever figure out what the problem was.???????
I took it to the dealer after checking all fuses and nothing found. At first, they assumed that it could be a wiring or fuse problem. However, after about an hour, I was sent home with a loaner, since they cannot find the cause of the problem. As I went to pick up something from my car before i left, I could see that they had taken the whole unit in the center console out.

The next morning, they found the cause of my problem. The computer controlling the Nav unit was fail and needed a replacement. Since I live 2 hours away and already spent a night in a hotel, they decided to take out a new computer from one of their cars in their lot and installed into my car. It's fine now.

Last edited by SkyIS; 01-16-07 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-16-07, 02:10 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SkyIS
I took it to the dealer after checking all fuses and nothing found. At first, they assumed that it could be a wiring or fuse problem. However, after about an hour, I was sent home with a loaner, since they cannot find the cause of the problem. As I went to pick up something from my car before i left, I could see that they had taken the whole unit in the center console out.

The next morning, they found the cause of my problem. The computer controlling the Nav unit was fail and needed a replacement. Since I live 2 hours away and already spent a night in a hotel, they decided to take out a new computer from one of their cars in their lot and installed into my car. It's fine now.
Not sure how the rest of you feel that but that is excellent service.
Old 01-16-07, 02:30 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Not sure how the rest of you feel that but that is excellent service.
Your right, that is great service. What dealer was this?
Old 01-16-07, 03:17 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyIS

That's great service for you. But how about the poor schlub who ends up buying the IS that was cannibalized for the part? He/she now gets a hacked up 'new' car. No thanks. I'll pass on that dealer. I don't think the new car inventory should be a source of parts for broken down customer cars.
Old 01-16-07, 03:51 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 273 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
That's great service for you. But how about the poor schlub who ends up buying the IS that was cannibalized for the part? He/she now gets a hacked up 'new' car. No thanks. I'll pass on that dealer. I don't think the new car inventory should be a source of parts for broken down customer cars.
I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't even want someone test driving my new car, let alone borrowing parts from it.