IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus response to DVD-A/Surround decoding problems on ML....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 08:11 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus response to DVD-A/Surround decoding problems on ML....

Here, check out my correspondence with Lexus Customer Experience about the ML not playing DVD-A and other Surround sources correctly... note not only the date of the responses, but also the fact that at the end they basically said "well, it just isn't supposed to play in surround" even though the documentation for ML clearly states the opposite.

Customer 04/15/2006 04:10 PM
I had submitted a note previously regarding the fact that my Mark Levinson system in my IS was not playing the surround correctly. Sound that was sent to the back channels, or a combination of these, was disappearing entirely. I was told before that these DVD-Audio discs would need to be played in Dolby Digital (which is an inferior sounding format). I have two problems with this...

1. The Mark Levinson unit is clearly marked as a DVD-Audio compatible player using the DVD-A logo and should be able to play these discs correctly without switching to Dolby Digital.

2. I have now noticed this isn't just on DVD-A discs. this is occuring on standard video DVD discs in the Dolby Digital mode as well so it's not as isolated as I thought. (this also being an issue as the new version of this Mark Levinson system is being put into almost all of the redesigns and updates coming up including the ES350 and the LS460)

If this needs to be forwarded to someone who handles or is more knowledgable on the subject of these stereo units or their programming who would want to get more information and hopefully be able to develop a fix for these issues I would be happy to share all that I can with them. This is troubling for me as I am a Toyota employee as well and these things work perfectly fine in competitor's vehicles.

Thank you.
=====

Response (VWendelstadt) 04/18/2006 01:20 PM
Dear Mr. Helgens:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service.

Please allow us an opportunity to research your questions more fully. We will contact you again when more information become available. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Vaughn Wendelstadt
Lexus Customer Satisfaction

=====

Response (VWendelstadt) 06/09/2006 01:58 PM
Dear Mr. Helgens:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service.

I apologize for the delay in responding to your questions about the Mark Levinson audio system in your 2006 IS 350. a representative from Mark Levinson advised me that the system in your vehicle as it is configured will not play in the surround sound format. The concerns you raised have been documented at our national headquarters for future product consideration. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Vaughn Wendelstadt
Lexus Customer Satisfaction

=======================

So yeah. I guess I'll have to go right to a Mark Levinson contact and at least find out why. Because dammit I want to know! It says it plays them... it kinda does, but not really, so why brand it as a DVD-A? If it doesn't and it's not supposed to then that's fine, but take off the DVD-A branding and then you don't have to discuss the issue of compatability and correct decoding. But the fact that I clearly pointed out that it doesn't work on Dolby Digital sources when it states it should isn't acceptable to me.
Old 06-09-06, 10:03 PM
shoei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda shady of Lexus and ML to do this, but i'm sure they don't really care. I'm sure they will take the attitude like "Uh..so you caught us. What are you going to do about it? Start a lawsuit against us?"

I say let it go. Your ride is sweet and the ML system is much better than what is found on the "3"