Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Where is tranny fluid fill location on 2008 Rx400h?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 12:48 PM
AtlPeter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is tranny fluid fill location on 2008 Rx400h?

I need to add tranny fluid to my 2008 Rx400h but do not have the owner's manual nor do I see a fill point clearly labeled in the engine compartment. I know from this club forum that there is not a dipstick and that the tranny is supposed to be filled to the top of the fill plug, but where is the plug?

There is what looks to be a plastic overflow tank (that is not labeled) on the driver's side of the inverter in the engine compartment. I've assumed that this is not the tranny fluid tank, but can someone tell me what this tank is for?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 04-13-15, 01:50 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

There is a pic here that show it. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...ial-plugs.html
Old 04-13-15, 02:24 PM
AtlPeter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smassey321
smassey321; thanks foryour reply on my tranny fluid question, but perhaps I didn't ask my question correctly or I'm missing something about your reply. I'm still pretty green regarding the use of the forum, so that might be why I'm not seeing the picture that you were trying to direct me to. The only pictures I saw were of what appeared to be differentials or axles.
The fluid that I'm trying to replace is that which flowed out of my transmission cooler that I had to remove in order to replace the radiator in my Rx400h with towing package. I'm trying to find out where I fill the fluid that feeds into that transmission cooler (I may be calling the transmission cooler by an incorrect name, but it is the cooler that is nearest the front of the car and which is in front of the AC condenser which is in front of the radiator).
Hope you can help and clear up my confusion.
Thanks,
atlpeter
Old 04-13-15, 02:39 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The transmission in the RX400h is not a conventional transmission where it has a dipstick to check from. It is checked like a differential fluid as explained by smassey321 above. It also uses World Standard Transmission Fluid ONLY.
Old 04-13-15, 06:57 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlPeter
smassey321; thanks foryour reply on my tranny fluid question, but perhaps I didn't ask my question correctly or I'm missing something about your reply. I'm still pretty green regarding the use of the forum, so that might be why I'm not seeing the picture that you were trying to direct me to. The only pictures I saw were of what appeared to be differentials or axles.
The fluid that I'm trying to replace is that which flowed out of my transmission cooler that I had to remove in order to replace the radiator in my Rx400h with towing package. I'm trying to find out where I fill the fluid that feeds into that transmission cooler (I may be calling the transmission cooler by an incorrect name, but it is the cooler that is nearest the front of the car and which is in front of the AC condenser which is in front of the radiator).
Hope you can help and clear up my confusion.
Thanks,
atlpeter
You drained your hybrid coolant. The transmission cooler (if you have one) is on the drivers side. The hybrid radiator is the shorter radiator in front of the ac condenser. Drain the rest of it from the 10 MM hex facing downward on the transmission. Then re-add Toyota Super Long Life coolant. Run the engine with a clear hose on the fitting on the top side of the cooler. Put the other end in the coolant tank on hybrid side. See attached file for exact directions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hybrid Coolant rx400h.pdf (202.6 KB, 246 views)