Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Electric Steering???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 08:54 PM
blubyu88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Steering???

Hey guys, as before I stated I am new to the Lexus world, anyway when driving my 400h I noticed at lower speeds or cruising speeds if I move the steering wheel slightly to the left or right, I noticed it will push back real quick like almost snatching and then after you grab the wheel to keep the car stabilize and straight, it stops and only does it when you move the wheel when cruising it does it pretty abrupt if you turn it slightly? Any suggestions? Kind of reminds me of a old Honda CR-V with being front wheel drive and having torque steer, when you would give it gas.
Old 08-09-12, 10:56 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure what you are asking, or what the problem is. Can you rephrase the question?

It does have fully electric power steering as opposed to hydraulic power steering. All systems that would be vacuum or hydraulics operated on a normal car, are fully electric on a hybrid like the RX400h. The air conditioning, brakes, and steering all have to work without the engine running, in electric-only mode.

One more thing that may explain your steering issue is the VSC, vehicle stability control, that engages the brakes individually when swerving at highway speeds, to keep the vehicle in a straight line and prevent it from spinning out of control, especially in bad weather conditions.
Old 08-10-12, 01:18 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a recall on the 2006 400h for the electric power steering rack. Check with Lexus US (call them and give them your VIN # and ask them to check for outstanding recalls). Something to do with the magnets coming loose inside the rack and the steering sticking.

There were several other recalls as well (crankshaft pulley, inverter (this is a big one), carpets). Make sure they've all been done. Being a 2006, your inverter may be an early one, and it seems the earlier models are most affected by the inverter recall.

Last edited by rcy; 08-10-12 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-10-12, 08:32 PM
blubyu88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok great info guys, I called Lexus US and they said there is currently no recalls on my car, if a recall was fixed do they remove my car from the cars affected. I see on my service history through lexus drivers, it says steering was worked on a year ago and the invertor said it had been worked on 4 months ago. Could the steering be messing up again? If I took it into lexus would they be able to tell me anything since it looks like it has already been addressed a year ago? Thanks guys!
Old 08-10-12, 08:56 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blubyu88
Ok great info guys, I called Lexus US and they said there is currently no recalls on my car, if a recall was fixed do they remove my car from the cars affected. I see on my service history through lexus drivers, it says steering was worked on a year ago and the invertor said it had been worked on 4 months ago. Could the steering be messing up again? If I took it into lexus would they be able to tell me anything since it looks like it has already been addressed a year ago? Thanks guys!
Never hurts to go there and talk to them. Ask if they can test drive with you there to try and duplicate. Since these things can be subjective, they may need to be shown what you are experiencing.