Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450h VS Q7 VS A8L or S6

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 09:23 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GS450h VS Q7 VS A8L or S6

I currently have a GS450h, I am wanting something either in addition to, or probably more realistic in replacment of.
How do the others compare? Solid ride, quiet? Adv. features? Comfort? Seats?

I want a solid no body roll car, that is very very sound proof and solid.
I am considering all the above. I Would want the Q7 for it's size, but I also wouldn't mind the A8L b/c that's the right size car, which I like cars better, so that's a plus off the bat, plus it's AWD so in a car that's my ideal, but would I be happy?

WHich is better and why of the three I mentioned.
Just asking your suggestions and advice.

(If you have other cars/brands that compare to what I am needing, lend your thoughts.)
Old 10-28-07, 01:14 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Common, Jason, that's like apples and oranges comparison. I know nothing about Q7 except that it's an SUV, so I would never consider it. But the other two are not only not comparable to the GS450h, but are also not comparable to each other.

First of all, may I ask why Audi? Have you ever driven them? Well I've driven the A6, A8 and S6 before buying the GS450h. If I liked the latter two, I would have had to buy used ones, since I couldn't afford new. I could buy the new A6 4.2 Quattro though. The thing is, I didn't like any of the Audi cars I drove enough to seriously consider them. There's lots of really strange features and controls on these cars for me, who has always driven Japanese cars with perfect ergonomics. I also found the seats to be extremely uncomfortable on the A6 and S6, and just Ok on the A8.

I was so disappointed this time that I will probably not look at Audi at all when my GS450h lease comes due in two years.

Speaking of size, A8L is a huge boat compared to the GS. That was one of the reasons I rejected it saw it in real life. I'm quite surprised BMW is not on your list since I know you had a 5 series before and liked it. What about Mercedes? I always thought that I would never buy a Benz because of it's snob-appeal, but I might change my mind for the Bluetech disel.
Old 10-28-07, 10:20 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Since you are in Colorado, maybe all-wheel-drive feature is a must. I would spend a little more of getting the "S8" instead. It is a 4 door Lamborghini Gallardo!!!

Personally I would never get a SUV, besides Q7 drives like a tank; inwhich makes Tundra drive like a M5.
Old 10-29-07, 07:30 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw an S8 last week, that thing is P-U-R-E S-E-X.

A8L is not bad either

I test drove the Q7 and liked it a lot, but I don't think you'd like the performance of it too much though compared to the other two choices.

Audi's are great, you won't be disappointed.

Never drove the S6 so can't say much about it.
Old 10-29-07, 12:57 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I'm still torn in what I want. I guess I want a bigger car, more room, easier to get in and out of the back, but with the drive and acceleration and cornering option of a M5.

I've recently driven the A8 and A6, and found the A8(L), although bigger than my GS by alot, drove very good compared to what I thought it would. (thought it was boaty like the LS), actually better in cornering and things. But I do agree the ***** and stuff are a little odd compared to the Lexus. MB, well I would consider it, but their reliability scares me, and I probably wouldn't buy b/c of it.

I have been looking at the Land Rover Sport supercharged, and found that to be pretty much what I am wanting I think.

Who knows, alot of things have been changing around here with family and kids planning and things, I might end up getting something entirely different than the previously mentioned cars. We'll see.

Just really searching now. I am not sure the perfect car.
I wand AWD for WINTER, but in a car, with the acceleration of my 450h, and no body roll, or BEtter.

Maybe that helps you all with responses.
AWD, more room inside, complete luxury though, no preference to car or SUV.
Just want sport ride (no body roll) and top of the line everything else.

Ya and about that 550i, I want AWD, and to get that I would need a 535 I think, and that doesnt compare to my 450h, I don't feel.
If the GS450h, was in AWD, and possibly a L version, that might be my top runner....
Old 10-30-07, 11:27 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Jason,

From what you have described I think the best fit would be Porsche Cayenne!!!

0-60
base model = 7.5sec
S model = 6.4sec
Turbo = 4.9sec

It is a PORSCHE after all, CAYENNE is a sport car in SUV's body!!!

IMO, reliability for sure is better than Land Rover Sport supercharged (they have replaced BMW's engine with Jaguar's).
Old 10-30-07, 12:19 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely not the base model Cayenne.

At least the S, but then for that price, I'd look into the Range Rover Sport Supercharged.
Old 10-30-07, 12:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i wouldnt get a Range Rover no matter what
its reliability is just so bad that it is not even worth considering
unless you have a few other cars to use when it is in the shop being repaired
Old 10-30-07, 12:51 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MB is not that bad (waaaay better than Land Rover, imho) did you look into the ML 63 AMG with 503 HP and 465 lb-ft it is going to up there with the M5 and the supercars of the world, yet it does have AWD and the ADSII (air) suspension does have the ability to compensate a lot of the body roll, and 0-60 in 4.8 seconds is even better than the 450h ! There is only one drawback though, it's around $100k loaded !

Last edited by timeToy; 10-30-07 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 01:33 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jace,

As you can tell by my signature, I have 2 other fantastic AWD cars and SUV in my garage. The 2006 Audi A8L is an amazing sedan! I have over 60 thousand miles on it with no problems at all. It handles and accelerates like a sports car. The ride comfort is much more better over the bumps than the GS. The ML350 is a bank vault and rides so quietly and smoothly on highways and in city. The ML is so superior now that I am happy to be a german car owner. THe Q7 in my opinion is huge but has a wonderful feel to its handling. The engine guzzles too much gas in that SUV though,
Old 10-30-07, 10:13 PM
ferix
Rookie

exactly!! this is the replacement im considering for my gs430 but im a bit worried about the redesign coming up soon as I buy,, any ideas when its due?

Originally Posted by slk_dds
Jason,

From what you have described I think the best fit would be Porsche Cayenne!!!

0-60
base model = 7.5sec
S model = 6.4sec
Turbo = 4.9sec

It is a PORSCHE after all, CAYENNE is a sport car in SUV's body!!!

IMO, reliability for sure is better than Land Rover Sport supercharged (they have replaced BMW's engine with Jaguar's).
Old 10-31-07, 12:15 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a Mercedes (and had two more in the past). Would not recommend one to anyone, to be honest with you. Unless it is one of those which lost 80% of its value (read 'good buy') and doesn't depreciate anymore, and you like to work on cars yourself. And work a lot

Last edited by AKoch; 10-31-07 at 12:23 AM.