GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New to me 2013 GX460....air suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 08:39 PM
joha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2013 GX460....air suspension question

I just purchased a 2013 GX460 premium, silver with GForce wheels. It's a very nice looking ride. The past eight years I have been driving a 2006 4-Runner Sport Edition V8 which has been an awesome vehicle. My oldest son has taken ownership of the 4-Runner.

I have a question for some of the knowledgeable GX owners. I have a 20' bass boat that I occasionally pulled with my 4-Runner, I have a F-150 that normally gets this duty. The rig weighs in at about 5000lbs and the 4-Runner handled it fairly easily. My question is, how does the rear height control air suspension handle towing a load this heavy? Am I risking damaging a pump or other component, or does the system work well with towing? Also, is it better to turn the system off when towing?

It does not have a towing package and that is something I will need to add. Any suggestions on where to purchase one online?

Last edited by joha; 05-25-16 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-26-16, 04:40 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Unless there was a difference that year, there is no "towing package" per se, just the hitch option. Also, I don't believe there is a way to turn the air shocks off. However, I should ask if you are sure it has the air supension. On the 2016s, which is what I have, you have to get the Luxury package to get that.

The tow rating is 6500 lbs so you should be fine. That to me is one of the nice features of the GX. It is exceptionally equipped for towing.
Old 05-26-16, 05:20 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to CL and congrats on the GX, enjoy!
Old 05-26-16, 06:41 AM
mistabuyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Unless there was a difference that year, there is no "towing package" per se, just the hitch option. Also, I don't believe there is a way to turn the air shocks off. However, I should ask if you are sure it has the air supension. On the 2016s, which is what I have, you have to get the Luxury package to get that.

The tow rating is 6500 lbs so you should be fine. That to me is one of the nice features of the GX. It is exceptionally equipped for towing.
From 2010-2013, before the refresh, the top-end GX package was the premium, so Joha has the air suspension in his premium. You can also deactivate the rear air height control by holding the "off" just above its toggle switch; you'll still have air shocks since that is a physical component but it won't auto-level the rear based on weight.
Old 05-26-16, 06:43 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Congrats on the new GX!
Old 05-26-16, 07:28 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The rear height control is made to work with towing and will level the rear of the car to compensate for the trailer. You can't turn it off permanently as it will automatically come on above 18mph so no worries about leaving it on. However, you should deactivate the system when connecting and disconnecting your trailer.
Old 05-26-16, 09:56 AM
joha
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses guys,

I know towing a heavy load puts much more stress on the air suspension components. But based on these comments and reading other threads on this forum it seems the suspension is up to the task.

I still need to buy the towing receiver hitch. What price have other people paid from Lexus and does anyone else sell it?
Old 05-26-16, 10:38 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

before you hook it up, you are aware there is a tongue weight limit on our gx right? It may be prudent to check that out.
The air suspension is always on when driving, and it reverts to normal height at above 18 mph.
When its in park, you can turn it off.
Old 05-26-16, 11:00 AM
joha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
before you hook it up, you are aware there is a tongue weight limit on our gx right? It may be prudent to check that out.
The air suspension is always on when driving, and it reverts to normal height at above 18 mph.
When its in park, you can turn it off.
I looked in the manual a fews days ago and couldn't find tongue weight limit. Towing weight limit is 6500 lbs, and the owners manual said tongue weight should be 9%-11% of total weight. This would be a tongue weight limit of 650 lbs and I know I'm below that.
Old 05-26-16, 11:11 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by joha
I looked in the manual a fews days ago and couldn't find tongue weight limit. Towing weight limit is 6500 lbs, and the owners manual said tongue weight should be 9%-11% of total weight. This would be a tongue weight limit of 650 lbs and I know I'm below that.
If you've already looked at that section of the manual then you probably already know this, but just in case you should note that anything over 5000lbs requires a weight distributing hitch (which also allows you a higher tongue weight). If you're using a dead hitch then 5000lbs is the towing limit, placing your tongue weight limit in the 450-550 range.
Old 05-26-16, 11:24 AM
joha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bd5400
If you've already looked at that section of the manual then you probably already know this, but just in case you should note that anything over 5000lbs requires a weight distributing hitch (which also allows you a higher tongue weight). If you're using a dead hitch then 5000lbs is the towing limit, placing your tongue weight limit in the 450-550 range.
I haven't checked my tongue weight, but I'm guessing I'm right at the upper limits around 500 lbs. Which is kinda why I started the thread. If, it's not a real strong air system, and I'll be at the top of the limits, I'll just tow it with something else. I've never used a distributing hitch before, but it doesn't look like something I would want to mess with.

I'm confident the drivetrain will handle the load just fine.
Old 05-26-16, 05:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

Nice GX, congrats. When you get a chance please post pictures of the GX with your boat.

Eight years in a 4-Runner and now in a GX. This thread has been all about towing so far. I am asking if you have likes or dislikes between the two?
Old 05-26-16, 05:43 PM
joha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
Nice GX, congrats. When you get a chance please post pictures of the GX with your boat.

Eight years in a 4-Runner and now in a GX. This thread has been all about towing so far. I am asking if you have likes or dislikes between the two?
I still need to purchase and install the towing hitch. I'll post some pics and thoughts on how it handled the towing weight in a few weeks after install.

I love driving the 4-Runner and hated giving it up.

My son got his drivers license in '08 and we purchased the 4-Runner certified used from a Toyota dealer. He drove it for two years and asked if he could get a car instead of the SUV. At the time I was driving a RX350 AWD silver w/black leather that was very enjoyable and easy to drive. I decided to take over the 4-Runner from my son and sell the RX350.

We ended up getting my son a Infiniti G35xS which he drove for three years, the last two years he has been driving a Tahoe LTZ while finishing up his bachelors degree. He starts Pharmacy school this fall and the Tahoe was too big for the parking garage at his new school. So now he has gone full circle and got back to his first vehicle, the '06 4-Runner.

I really liked the 4-Runner and didn't really want to drive the Tahoe. So what's better than a 4-Runner? A 4-Runner with more 'buttons and switches" , the GX460. So far its been great, but I've only had it for about a week.
Old 05-26-16, 07:28 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mistabuyer
From 2010-2013, before the refresh, the top-end GX package was the premium, so Joha has the air suspension in his premium. You can also deactivate the rear air height control by holding the "off" just above its toggle switch; you'll still have air shocks since that is a physical component but it won't auto-level the rear based on weight.
Thank you for clarifying that. I've been wondering what that off button is for. But it's my wife's vehicle and I'm slow learning all about it!