GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

What to use to clean interior?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 08:21 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use to clean interior?

I wanted to know what do you use to clean the interior of your GX? For example the wood, the chrome parts, the display, the plastic around the door switches? I am using the Meguiars Gold Leather spray for the leather which is doing a decent job, but I don't know what's best for the dashboard and the other parts. Thanks for your input!
Old 01-03-11, 04:44 AM
gxgonz
Rookie

I have been wondering the same thing. Just using a dry cloth to wipe down the dash and console thus far. This is my first vehicle with perforated leather and I have no clue what to use on that stuff because I would hate to clog up the holes.
Old 01-03-11, 07:56 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Be careful when cleaning instrument cluster glass. It very easily scratches and a replacement glass costs around $50 + whatever dealer charges to replace it. I had dealer replace it already once after curtesy cleaning.
Old 01-03-11, 07:56 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

I use the Meguiars Leather cleaner and conditioner, spray it on a rag, wipe it on and quickly buff it off. It works fine!
Old 01-03-11, 02:49 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MickeyS
I use the Meguiars Leather cleaner and conditioner, spray it on a rag, wipe it on and quickly buff it off. It works fine!
I'll give that stuff a try; after my dealer cleaned my car, I could see some grayish-blue glove prints on my black leather. I've tried using some shoe cream that I got in Japan, with no luck.
Old 01-10-11, 12:01 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dealer told me to use the leather cleaner on everything. I'm sad though bc my (ecru) seatbelt is getting dingy.
Old 01-10-11, 02:07 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wannaGX
dealer told me to use the leather cleaner on everything. I'm sad though bc my (ecru) seatbelt is getting dingy.
Try some Simple Green.
Old 01-13-11, 09:39 PM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

Just my $0.02.

In the past 8 years I've been cleaning the interior of our cars (be it BMW, Lexus or Mercedes) with the Absorber towel. It is a lint-free shammy type towel that comes in a plastic container and you can get this at any local automotive store. It works great on leather and dash etc. Just rinse it through water and works great without being too damp and wet like a microfiber cloth.

I stopped using any leather conditioner of any type for years. I tried all of them even expensive ones claiming to be food for leather and it seem to make the leather slippery and trap dirt much easier. I did a lot of research and many say that the leather in cars today (last 5 years) are sealed leather meaning all you condition is just the protectant surface that was applied on top of the leather during the manufacturing process so it doesn't do anything to the leather itself, nothing is absorbed into the leather. Over time layers of conditioner just sits on the surface drying up and making it hard. Instead, just wipe down your leather seats with a semi-damp cloth. Even with our 8 year old Mercedes leather (NOT MBTEX), they are clean and don't have that wet look to it or harden feel to it. You're still going to get those crease lines on the bolster but that's just from use and nothing any cleaning will prevent.
Old 01-14-11, 06:15 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
Try some Simple Green.

I would be very careful using a strong detergent/degreaser on the interior. You should not even use this on the wheels!

Koz
Old 01-14-11, 06:18 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GXOwner
Just my $0.02.

In the past 8 years I've been cleaning the interior of our cars (be it BMW, Lexus or Mercedes) with the Absorber towel. It is a lint-free shammy type towel that comes in a plastic container and you can get this at any local automotive store. It works great on leather and dash etc. Just rinse it through water and works great without being too damp and wet like a microfiber cloth.

I stopped using any leather conditioner of any type for years. I tried all of them even expensive ones claiming to be food for leather and it seem to make the leather slippery and trap dirt much easier. I did a lot of research and many say that the leather in cars today (last 5 years) are sealed leather meaning all you condition is just the protectant surface that was applied on top of the leather during the manufacturing process so it doesn't do anything to the leather itself, nothing is absorbed into the leather. Over time layers of conditioner just sits on the surface drying up and making it hard. Instead, just wipe down your leather seats with a semi-damp cloth. Even with our 8 year old Mercedes leather (NOT MBTEX), they are clean and don't have that wet look to it or harden feel to it. You're still going to get those crease lines on the bolster but that's just from use and nothing any cleaning will prevent.
Interesting!

I use 303 on everything for years and have not had any problems.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_469g6qwctj_b

Koz
Old 01-14-11, 07:45 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I would be very careful using a strong detergent/degreaser on the interior. You should not even use this on the wheels!

Koz
You're right. Simple Green is a strong but effective cleaner. I use it on carpeted areas like around the dead pedal and the base of the doors where they get kicked getting out of the car.