GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Watching DVD while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 09:49 PM
farseide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watching DVD while driving...

Has anyone mod your GX so that you could watch DVD while driving ? The only way DVD will play on the front monitor is if i have the e-brake pulled up slightly. I'm trying to find a dealer that will mod the wires so that i could watch a movie while driving. Any thought s?
Old 04-24-03, 10:11 PM
robinzon
Driver

Here is a though:

Let me know where you will be driving, so that I can stay off that road for next 48 hours after that, since that is approximatley how long it will take for you to crash while watching a movie and driving. I highly do not recommend it. if you insist, however, search the forum more carefully for the "appropriate" mod, the best that you can do is watch movies while parked, but at least the mod will allow you not to pull on your e-brake unneccesarily, as I have said I highly do not recommend watching movies while driving, but the mod is easy though not encouraged.
Old 04-24-03, 10:49 PM
farseide
Driver School Candidate

Damm... it was just a question. I would hate to drive on the same road with someone with yoru attitude. It was a simple question. Just wanted to know if this has been done before. CHILL...
Old 04-25-03, 07:04 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DVD while driving

farseide,

I think what robinzon was trying to say is that while it sounds like it'd be cool, it is extremely dangerous. It was a hotly debated issue here in one of the other forums a while back. Before you undertake the mod, just be sure that you are safe. Not trying to preach here, but jsut think about how many times you may have been driving along and the slightest distraction almost caused an accident. I know we all like to believe we are great drivers and have the "it won't happen to me attitude", but it doesn't have to be you, it could be someone else that causes it.

Bottom line, if it is someone else and it is determined that you had a DVD on while driving even the crappiest lawyer in the world will lock in at least a portion of the blame for the accisent to you. SO jus tthink about it before you are willing to take that risk...as a homeowner and father, that's not a risk I'd be willing to take with the financial security of my family, because if the accident is bad enough you will lose everything.

OK off my soapbox.
Old 04-25-03, 07:44 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Default Re: Watching DVD while driving...

Originally posted by farseide
Has anyone mod your GX so that you could watch DVD while driving ? The only way DVD will play on the front monitor is if i have the e-brake pulled up slightly. I'm trying to find a dealer that will mod the wires so that i could watch a movie while driving. Any thought s?
What part of California are you in, please tell me so I can stay far away.

Here is a thought, before deciding to drive while watching a movie, putting everybody else at risk. Think about sitting in a jail cell facing vehicular manslaughter and knowing you just destroyed a family and killed a child. Worse case scenario but you get the point.

If I observed ANYONE watching a movie while driving I would call the local police and follow who ever it was until the police arrived and make a citizens arrest.

You asked for thoughts, you got them.
Old 04-25-03, 07:48 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Damm... it was just a question. I would hate to drive on the same road with someone with yoru attitude. It was a simple question. Just wanted to know if this has been done before. CHILL...
I believe it is YOU with the immature attitude here, you are suggesting putting lives in danger for your personal amusement.
Old 04-25-03, 10:34 AM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Wow you guys are brutal

Let's assume that he wants to be able to play DVDs on the front screen so that the PASSENGER can also enjoy them on a longer trip along with people in the rear seat. In this instance, I don't see how the DVD will really be more distracting than the NAV.

I agree that the driver shouldn't be using it for his own use while driving, but JEEZ... All this talk about lawyers and accidents and lack of responsibility seems a bit dramatic.

Anyway, this is my first post on this forum and is obviously JMHO...
Old 04-25-03, 11:10 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to be able to CONTROL (not WATCH) the DVD player while driving.
If you have a 3-year old crying for wanting to watch movie while you are on highway, you will understand.
It's really dangerous using the remote control point to the back and switch screen to dvd and select play while driving.
Old 04-25-03, 02:20 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why is everyone being so mean about it? i was wondering the same thing for my RX330, but not for me, the driver, but for the front passenger. i suppose one could argue that most drivers would be compelled to watch, but that's what they thought of the Nav system at first, and look, it's still selling.

and super_cjc: i don't have kids yet, but i can totally see your point about the pointing of the remote towards the back.
Old 04-25-03, 02:22 PM
Jim Bob
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by lexuslover
why is everyone being so mean about it? i was wondering the same thing for my RX330, but not for me, the driver, but for the front passenger. i suppose one could argue that most drivers would be compelled to watch, but that's what they thought of the Nav system at first, and look, it's still selling.

and super_cjc: i don't have kids yet, but i can totally see your point about the pointing of the remote towards the back.

I agree, give the poor guy a break. The front passenger should be able to watch the DVD
Old 04-25-03, 02:25 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by lexuslover

I agree if it is for the passengers that is one thing, however if you read his original post it says "I'm trying to find a dealer that will mod the wires so that i could watch a movie while driving."

The key word there is I
Old 04-25-03, 02:42 PM
farseide
Driver School Candidate

Default Chill CessCrap.. whatever your name is..

It was a simple question. If you are afraid of all the hazards on the road, get the F*** off the road then. You have never answered your phone while driving or called someone while on the road ? It was a simple question. Dont get so worked up about it...

You really must not have a life to raise your dumb *** blood pressure over this kinda crap...

Go ahead and pick on every word I say and read between the lines. It was a simple question!!!!! If you dont like waht I said, then why dont you call the COPS and make a citizens arrest. I will be sure to pull you over when i am off duty... WHAT A LOSER !!!

WATCH OUT... CESS CRAP will be arresting people on the freeway...F***ing DUMB ***
Old 04-25-03, 03:26 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Default Re: Chill CessCrap.. whatever your name is..

It was a simple question. If you are afraid of all the hazards on the road, get the F*** off the road then. You have never answered your phone while driving or called someone while on the road ? It was a simple question. Dont get so worked up about it...

You really must not have a life to raise your dumb *** blood pressure over this kinda crap...

Go ahead and pick on every word I say and read between the lines. It was a simple question!!!!! If you dont like waht I said, then why dont you call the COPS and make a citizens arrest. I will be sure to pull you over when i am off duty... WHAT A LOSER !!!

WATCH OUT... CESS CRAP will be arresting people on the freeway...F***ing DUMB ***
How old are you again?

Who said anything about raising my blood pressure, if you think I am worked up over this you are mistaken. IMO one must have issues to let a forum get them worked up. You asked for comments, I gave you mine. Do with it as you wish.

I am not afraid of hazards on the road, however I am cautious around people who watch tv while driving or in your case suggest it. If the shoe fits wear it, if not then it doesn't matter anyway.

To answer your question yes I answer the my cell on the road, however it is a hands free phone w/ voice recognition capabilities. The rest of your blabbering on I won't respond to, as it is childish and further shows your immaturity.

Don't go asking for people's comments if you can't handle their responses
Old 04-25-03, 04:18 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

O.K guys that's enough before this thread is close. Let keep it clean.
There's the way to do it by by pass the E-brake wire and speed sensor wire. The vehicle has to be 0 mph and e-brake on to be able to watch the movie. If you by pass those 2 wires it will effect another system on your car.
First the Multiplex ECU thinks you're driving with E-brake on all the time. The warning buzz sound will be on or something.
Second, the vehicle speed that send to the Navigation screen and the one that send to Nav ECU are not match. Now, the system get confuse of WTF is going on here, the nav screen said it's 0 mph and the nav ecu said it's 70 mph.
You may have more of the side effects, but I'm not sure what else could happen by doing this mod. May be the ABS system, because the ECU thinks you're driving with E-brake on all the time.
Old 04-25-03, 05:39 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Ok guys, let turn down the attitude and the volume or this thread is closed. This is very the GX470 forum, supposed to be very quite over here.

Many thanks

DD