GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My annoying list

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-03, 10:24 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My annoying list

From my experiences with Lexus, generally everything is designed with a lot of thought in mind. To counter that, I do have a small list for the GX of annoying things that do not appear to be thought about. They aren't big, but can be a nuissance.

- When you first turn on the GX, you are forced to hear "The Lexus Link system is active". New the LL so I am not sure if that is common with Lexus. I know it's not common with other automakers.
- Regardless of where you left the Nav screen, when you start the vehicle, it will always go to Nav forcing you to see the License Agreement for the Navigiation. For example, if I leave the radio on all of the time and don't use the Nav for months, everytime I start, I have to see that screen. And it's not as if switching to these other screens require me to Agree to the terms and conditions of this agreement. My 2000 GS400 had a Nav on it, and if I was in the climate control or radio, when restarting the vehicle, that's where I was left.
- Volume control will not hold settings for voice guidance. It does for my GS.
- Bug I previously mentioned about Voice Guidance set to off doesn't make a difference. This is a bug, so it's arguable whether it belongs on this list.
- Route type setting does save. i.e Short, quick, etc
- Nav seems to take me off the highway, regardless of route type setting. Need to check more into this.
- Rear view side mirrors always seem dirty. I realize they have a dirt resistance coating, but I don't think it works.
- Lexus Link doesn't support making phone calls. Other automaker services do.
- Rear Navigation System is impossible to put in after the fact. Install them at port. Don't make life difficult.

I love the truck. And fortunately most of these issues appear to be software controllable. Meaning patches to the software can be released to make it better. I just hope Lexus hears these and releases new software versions to correct them. If for nothing else, my next Lexus won't have these issues.

Last edited by looknow12; 02-02-03 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-02-03, 11:43 AM
TEXLEXOLD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weird about the ll not allowing phone calls, its based on OnStar and OnStar does in other vehicles...
Old 02-02-03, 09:21 PM
arogers
Driver School Candidate

I concur on the "The Lexus Link system is active" and nav screen agreement. Very annoying, but I still love my GX.
Old 02-03-03, 08:03 AM
bluntguy
Rookie

glad i didn't bother to buy nav. Looks like the basis for most of your complaints.
Old 02-03-03, 05:20 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol the only problem i have is the not remebering the voice setting on the nav and the i agree... i did have LL call my lexus dealer to setup an apointment, but they wont trasfer regular calls i dont think
Old 02-05-03, 01:25 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default Lexus Link

I just picked up my new GX on Feb. 1st and love it! I haven't noticed the Lexus Link saying it is now active...just may not be paying attention. I know I am registered. I thought the nav. would be annoying having to touch the I agree button everytime, but it really isn't as bad as I thought, of course I've only had the truck for 4 days! ha So far, I love it, far exceeded my expectations. Keep reading the manual and finding other things it will do. The only thing I will probably have the Lexus dealership deprogram is the rain sensitive windshield. Good idea, I guess, but I'd rather be in control of when I need the wipers, or not. Other than that, no complaints (so far). I do wish it had a mute button on the steering wheel to push when your cell phone rings, but that's not really a big deal either. Guess we get too spoiled and just want more and more gadgets!
Old 02-05-03, 01:27 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can control the wipers. Either off or on. Are you looking for an intermittent setting, is that why?

Also, imagine you are not using the nav for weeks on end. There should be no license agreement for operating your radio and climate controls.
Old 02-05-03, 01:38 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default Wipers

I understand what you are saying about the nav system, it is dumb, but I guess there is no getting around it.

The wiper thing...night before last I had to leave my GX sitting outside the next morning there was frost on the windshield, so when I started the engine the wipers sensed moisture (I guess) and started to run, which of course just scrapped across the ice. Didn't like that. Is there a way not to have it automatic just because it senses moisture? I do like the intermitent, but I want to be the one to turn it on, not the sensor. Appreciate any info., I read the manual, but thought you had to have Lexus deprogram the rain sensor deal.