GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

90K Mile Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 10:16 AM
schouse13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90K Mile Service

The only previous threads I have found here were a little outdated regarding the 90k service. Anyway, I live in the Atlanta area and got my first Lexus dealer quote. In addition to the quote, he recommended changing the front, middle and rear differential fluids for an additional $230. Anyone had this service done recently? He also added on the water pump at my request. My Toyota advisor came it at $1,144.00 with water pump and a loaner. Anyway, here's the Lexus quote below: Thoughts?

Make: Lexus Model: GX 470 Year: 2007

Recommended Work Details
Line Operation Code Operation Description Op Code Qualifier Labor Price Line Total

A ( new ) B021C090000 Service - 90,000 Miles Exc CA, MA, NY $1,065.48 $1,336.63 w/out water pump

Included Services
00001R: Replace Engine Oil
00003R: Replace Engine Oil Filter
00004M: Reset Service Indicator
00005M: Road Test
00006M: Rotate Tires
00007R: Replace Air Cleaner Filter
00013M: Measure Brake Pad Thickness and Rotor Runout
00018R: Replace Brake Fluid
00041L: Lubricate Drive Shaft, Re-torque Nuts and Bolts
00164R: Replace Timing Belt
0017IN: Inspect Body Paint and Corrosion
0021IN: Inspect Brake Lines, Hoses and Connections
0030IN: Inspect Drive Axle Boots
0032IN: Inspect Drive Belt(s)
0046IN: Inspect Exhaust System and Heat Shields
0047IN: Inspect Front Differential Fluid Level
0053IN: Inspect Fuel Tank, Cap, Line and Hoses
0069IN: Inspect Suspension Ball Joints
0071IN: Inspect Steering Operation and Linkage
0113IN: Inspect Engine Coolant Level
0167IN: Inspect Transmission for Leaks
0227IN: Inspect Rack and Pinion Assembly
(DD) D01: Car Wash
(DD) DTB: Four Wheel Balance
(DD) DWPR: Replace Wiper Inserts
(DD) DMULTI: Perform multipoint inspection
(DD) DCLNTB: Clean Throttle Body
(DD) D2KIT: Fuel Additive And Washer Fluid

Part Number Part Description Quantity Part Price
WIPER WIPER INSERT 3 $31.05
VP072 THROTTLE BODY CLEANER 1 $22.87
795510 2 PART KIT 1 $34.49
00279-1QT5W-01 PZL SYN BLND 5W30 7 $35.35
90430-12031 GASKET 1 $1.30
90915-YZZD3 FILTER, OIL 1 $6.22
17801-50040 ELEMENT SUB-ASSY, AI 1 $31.05
00475-1BF03 BRAKE FLUID 2 $14.32
13568-09070 BELT, TIMIMG 1 $67.53
Miscellaneous Charges
$12.32
Tax
$14.65

B ( new ) CS20 Pump, Coolant - Replace All $56.93
Part Number Part Description Quantity Part Price
00272-SLLC2 SUPER LONG LIFE COOL 2 $47.56
16100-59275-83 PUMP ASSY, WATER 1 $180.26
96761-24019 RING, O 1 $11.39
96761-35035 RING, O 1 $11.93
16346-50010 GASKET, THERMOSTAT 1 $14.74
Miscellaneous Charges
$0.00
Tax
$15.95

Total
$1,675.39 Inc water pump
Old 12-01-12, 06:27 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

It sounds totally normal for a Lexus dealer. Reality however, may be way different. Wiper inserts $31? Throttle body cleaner $22.87? Inspect, inspect, inspect? They make it sound so good, but you can change your wiper inserts and toss in some decent fuel injector cleaner from Auto Zone for way less. Flushing the break fluid and power steering is way more thorough when they do it, but I used a turkey baster with an attached hose to take out as much as I could, replaced with fresh and did it again in a week after some use and the fluid is nice and clear. You could change the coolant, but if they are going to swap the water pump, the mechanic can do it at the same time. Cabin and air filter replacements are cake and you could save a ton there too. Just make sure you use the Toyota parts. I tried going after market and the filters were junk.

I let my dealer do that, but they ended up putting in the cheap replacement coolant, which needs to be replaced again. Timing belt and fluid changes at 80K are all factory recommendations and not the gospel. Some may disagree, but individual mileage may very. Extreme temps and driving conditions can warrant an 80K replacement, but not always. All of the recommended services are big money makers for the dealer. The best thing I ever did was to find a trusted independent mechanic, who can inspect my car and tell me "you can get another 20K out of that, before we need to replace...", etc.

Most of the things on the list provide little benefit to the owner. Wheels can be balanced and rotated at where ever the owner bought the tire set and most inspections are nothing more than visuals, where the dealer can recommend other expensive fixes...paint sealant, interior protection, etc.

When my drive boots started to leak, they quoted me 2K, just for the boots! I picked up the axles sets complete for $120 each from Napa and had my mechanic swap them out for another $200. While he was at it, I upgraded my breaks to super high carbon rotors and premium (low heat) pads to prevent warping. He charged me an extra $40 to install them, since he had to take them most of the way down to replace the axles.

All I'm saying is, you can even maintain a Lexus on the cheap, if you can find someone you trust.

And one more thing! The dealer will tell you how much more you will get for your trade, if they maintain the car and keep records....total hogwash! You lose your shorts either way, so save the cash and enjoy the GX for years to come. My GX is a 2003 and staying around for a long time. If I cut corners on maintenance, I just end up paying, so none of my recommendations are to not do the proper maintenance. Just that you have some good options. Good luck. :-)

Last edited by rj4510; 12-01-12 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-04-12, 03:52 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
It sounds totally normal for a Lexus dealer. Reality however, may be way different. Wiper inserts $31? Throttle body cleaner $22.87? Inspect, inspect, inspect? They make it sound so good, but you can change your wiper inserts and toss in some decent fuel injector cleaner from Auto Zone for way less. Flushing the break fluid and power steering is way more thorough when they do it, but I used a turkey baster with an attached hose to take out as much as I could, replaced with fresh and did it again in a week after some use and the fluid is nice and clear. You could change the coolant, but if they are going to swap the water pump, the mechanic can do it at the same time. Cabin and air filter replacements are cake and you could save a ton there too. Just make sure you use the Toyota parts. I tried going after market and the filters were junk.

I let my dealer do that, but they ended up putting in the cheap replacement coolant, which needs to be replaced again. Timing belt and fluid changes at 80K are all factory recommendations and not the gospel. Some may disagree, but individual mileage may very. Extreme temps and driving conditions can warrant an 80K replacement, but not always. All of the recommended services are big money makers for the dealer. The best thing I ever did was to find a trusted independent mechanic, who can inspect my car and tell me "you can get another 20K out of that, before we need to replace...", etc.

Most of the things on the list provide little benefit to the owner. Wheels can be balanced and rotated at where ever the owner bought the tire set and most inspections are nothing more than visuals, where the dealer can recommend other expensive fixes...paint sealant, interior protection, etc.

When my drive boots started to leak, they quoted me 2K, just for the boots! I picked up the axles sets complete for $120 each from Napa and had my mechanic swap them out for another $200. While he was at it, I upgraded my breaks to super high carbon rotors and premium (low heat) pads to prevent warping. He charged me an extra $40 to install them, since he had to take them most of the way down to replace the axles.

All I'm saying is, you can even maintain a Lexus on the cheap, if you can find someone you trust.

And one more thing! The dealer will tell you how much more you will get for your trade, if they maintain the car and keep records....total hogwash! You lose your shorts either way, so save the cash and enjoy the GX for years to come. My GX is a 2003 and staying around for a long time. If I cut corners on maintenance, I just end up paying, so none of my recommendations are to not do the proper maintenance. Just that you have some good options. Good luck. :-)
I agree. I'm at 98k and need to do the timing belt/water pump. Sewell has the TB kit with WP for around $300. I'm assuming I could find an independent mechanic to install for another $300 for a total of $600. Does this sound reasonable? And is the TB job pretty straight forward for any local mechanic to handle?
Old 12-04-12, 05:45 PM
schouse13
Driver School Candidate

I have since found another Lexus dealer that would do the entire service including tb and wp for approx $1200.00 (includes service coupon at this dealer). I thought the toyota dealers would be a little better, but they're even coming back at about $1100.00. I am leaning towards just going to lexus now. If i knew of a mechanic i trusted, then it would be a no brainer.
Old 12-05-12, 01:54 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I agree. I'm at 98k and need to do the timing belt/water pump. Sewell has the TB kit with WP for around $300. I'm assuming I could find an independent mechanic to install for another $300 for a total of $600. Does this sound reasonable? And is the TB job pretty straight forward for any local mechanic to handle?
The TB should be the same as any V8 4Runner or Tundra 4.7.
Old 12-05-12, 01:56 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by schouse13
I have since found another Lexus dealer that would do the entire service including tb and wp for approx $1200.00 (includes service coupon at this dealer). I thought the toyota dealers would be a little better, but they're even coming back at about $1100.00. I am leaning towards just going to lexus now. If i knew of a mechanic i trusted, then it would be a no brainer.
Definitely a better value than original. :-)
Old 12-06-12, 05:51 AM
Mparent
Driver School Candidate

I had the TB & water pump done last month when I bought my 07 (91k) and they charged me $800 which the sales guy said was his cost. I called around and couldn't find it cheaper at any non dealer shop.
Old 12-16-12, 07:02 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mparent
I had the TB & water pump done last month when I bought my 07 (91k) and they charged me $800 which the sales guy said was his cost. I called around and couldn't find it cheaper at any non dealer shop.
Good dealer price. I just bought the TB kit with WP from Rockauto for $200 delivered, It's the Aisin kit which is the factory replacement. Got quoted $320 for labor from an Indy mechanic. $520 plus coolant sounds great to me.
Old 12-17-12, 04:07 AM
Mparent
Driver School Candidate

It is good to have verification that I received a good deal. Nobody likes feeling overcharged. Thanks!
Old 01-11-13, 01:32 PM
tgpolonyi
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the information

Originally Posted by rj4510

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain in detail some things that I can do to help save me money and continue to maintain my lovely GX.