GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

ECU Reprogram?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 08:44 AM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb ECU Reprogram?

Disclaimer: All of the following thoughts and ideas are purely speculation and meant to invoke conversation.

It would seem to me that with so many advanced integrated features standard on the GX 470 it would be possible to reprogram the vehicle's computer systems to do some clever things.

Given the GX 470 comes standard with:
  • Rain Sensor (for automatic wipers)
  • Temp. Sensors inside and out
  • Automatic Windows(Hold unlock on remote)

Shouldn't it be possible to program the system in such a way that:

IF rain sensor is negative AND inside temp is over 85 degrees THEN roll down windows 1 inch
AND check rain sensor status every 30 seconds
IF rain sensor is positive THEN roll up windows

This is what my rough outline for a code to complete this "Crack windows when it's hot out" program might look like. I would love to hear thoughts and opinions especially from those familiar in ECU programing.
Old 06-26-12, 09:21 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There arent too many people that care to mod their ECU and Lexus wont do it. Youd have to find an independent shop, good luck w/ them not screwing up your electrical system.
Old 06-26-12, 10:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lexus ecu is one of the hardest to crack. many have tried, no one has succeeded.
Old 06-26-12, 10:35 AM
JuLeX47
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Automatic switches, how hard is it to just turn them on when you need it?
Old 06-26-12, 12:21 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, Id say this would be a fruitless endeavor where your time spent would be best suited on other things.
Old 06-26-12, 09:06 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lexus ecu is one of the hardest to crack. many have tried, no one has succeeded.
+1 to that.
Lexus ECU are very hard to flash,becoz there are too many security firewalls built in codes encoded. There are totally I think in GX 11 ECUs built in, ( Powertrain 2,Chassis 2, Body 7). Even if you broken the first firewall and assumed to code a program along with the Binary config files, The system, once you want to upload goes thru the Health Check, that is the first parameter of the Entire system check, if there is change in condition check, Health check fails, Now assuming you have a code program to bypass health check, The vehicle will do a calibration check as the New ECU within GX should match the calibration ID link, The total number of calibration IDs in the calibration file should correspond to the number of reprogrammable processors in the ECU.

Secondly you need Special tools to upload data, There is no other Kit that can acheive that other than the Lexus Diagnostic Tester Kit, The Interface Module ( CAN) And the program card ( 12MB which is a PCMCIA card) . Only available at the dealer

Here is how the interface looks.
Do you want to go that way, and end up failing your ECU, then you need to know the effort ( whether or not will it be successful) you have put in vs the failure rate. And make a decision.

Last edited by mann777; 02-27-13 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 06:56 AM
llebcire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGX470
Disclaimer: All of the following thoughts and ideas are purely speculation and meant to invoke conversation.

It would seem to me that with so many advanced integrated features standard on the GX 470 it would be possible to reprogram the vehicle's computer systems to do some clever things.

Given the GX 470 comes standard with:
  • Rain Sensor (for automatic wipers)
  • Temp. Sensors inside and out
  • Automatic Windows(Hold unlock on remote)

Shouldn't it be possible to program the system in such a way that:

IF rain sensor is negative AND inside temp is over 85 degrees THEN roll down windows 1 inch
AND check rain sensor status every 30 seconds
IF rain sensor is positive THEN roll up windows

This is what my rough outline for a code to complete this "Crack windows when it's hot out" program might look like. I would love to hear thoughts and opinions especially from those familiar in ECU programing.
Clever idea, however with the built in security of the ECU and the cost associated with a mistake, wouldn't be easier to build your own?

Example:
Simple breadboard box that measures the resistance of the interior temperature thermistor, if greater than 85 degrees (equivalent resistance) then energize rain sensor, if no moisture then pulse windows down (example 1 second) and engage rain sensor every 15 minutes, etc. If moisture or internal temp below preset, then pulse windows up for 2 seconds.

Just need to ensure it's wired properly and adequately protects sensitive components with diodes to prevent any damage.

Have fun!

-Eric
Old 06-27-12, 08:59 AM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right no way I would risk disabling a 50K vehicle, I have been looking in junk yards for an ECU setup to play with, No luck so far. I guess these vehicles hold value so well they are almost always repaired rather than totaled.