GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Frustration with the Voice Command - 2010 GX

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 06:14 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustration with the Voice Command - 2010 GX

I don't use the VC very often, but the last couple times I've tried it, it took 30 second or so to try and execute the command. One time I thought it completely locked up the nav.

The accuracy is also terrible... will a map update help this as all?

The VC button can also be REALLY slow to respond. I can press it and nothing happens...

I have not tried resetting the nav yet, but I may resort to that soon. Hoping for a better fix though...
Old 07-06-12, 04:31 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you reset the nav?
Old 07-06-12, 05:05 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You must read the manual! I found that you have to practice and know the proper/right commands and you need to say it in a normal way (not loud, slow or pronounced). It seems the more you use it, the better it works (can’t explain why).You can get a list of commands if you use the “help” command.

The VC button needs to be pressed a second time to give the command. You can reset/change VC button to activate with one push in the settings menu (again, you need to read the 10K page manual).

If your location is not accurate, something is wrong! You can re-calibrate your location in the setting menu. I have never had to do this on the GX but had to on my IS (because I installed a hacked DVD).

The voice command function in a Lexus is actually better then most other brands, but it is not perfect.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 07-06-12 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 05:08 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rockydog
How do you reset the nav?

I'm not sure if there is a reset button but I reset my IS by pulling the fuse for the system.

Koz
Old 07-06-12, 05:21 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

To me VC is just a gimmick, it takes too long to use compared to just using your hand. None of the cars we have test driven over the years had VC that I would actually use regularly since the wait time when using it is so frustating.
Old 07-06-12, 12:16 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've tried to use voice control in every Lexus we've owned that included the function ... none of them worked.

English is obviously "not their first language" and comprehension is abysmal ... it 'hears' commands that are nothing like what is spoken. Perhaps the biggest drawback is that the spoken commands are neither intuitive nor a match to the on-screen commands ... you have to memorize a second vocabulary. Yes, you can use the 'Help' command to see the choices, but why bother ... by the time it displays, you read through the list, speak the command slowly and wait for voice control to process the command ... well, you see my point ... pushing a button is a lot easier.

Considering how difficult a task voice recognition is for the latest technology (e.g., Apple's iPhone with Siri), I'm not surprised, but couldn't Lexus have made it simpler and more reliable? For example, rather than use voice control to program the navigation system for the nearest ethnic restaurant, how about simply adjust the temperature? Imagine if they make voice control mandatory rather than optional ... start the car ... START the car ... START THE CAR ... $%$#%$#%$#%$ ... forget it, I'll walk! ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. On more than one occasion our navigation system has completely locked up ... the display is static, the buttons do not respond and voice prompts are muted. Fortunately, an old-fashioned restart, i.e., stop the car, turn off the ignition, count to three and turn on the ignition fixes the problem. We have correlated these situations to when we are "under guidance" to a destination and adding more than the system can handle, such as routing to avoid traffic, detouring around roadblocks, getting weather updates from Sirius/XM, etc. We use navigation a lot, almost daily, but when we are "on autopilot" we try not to touch the display.
Old 07-06-12, 12:57 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaniDel
P.S. On more than one occasion our navigation system has completely locked up ... the display is static, the buttons do not respond and voice prompts are muted. Fortunately, an old-fashioned restart, i.e., stop the car, turn off the ignition, count to three and turn on the ignition fixes the problem. We have correlated these situations to when we are "under guidance" to a destination and adding more than the system can handle, such as routing to avoid traffic, detouring around roadblocks, getting weather updates from Sirius/XM, etc. We use navigation a lot, almost daily, but when we are "on autopilot" we try not to touch the display.
Yeah for me it isn't about issuing the commands, I understand it's pretty poor matching, but mine was actually freezing, exactly as you described. Nothing would work, soft or hard buttons. The whole nav system freezes up... What year is your GX? Have you updated your nav before?
Old 07-06-12, 03:51 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gyung
Yeah for me it isn't about issuing the commands, I understand it's pretty poor matching, but mine was actually freezing, exactly as you described. Nothing would work, soft or hard buttons. The whole nav system freezes up... What year is your GX? Have you updated your nav before?
We bought an early-production (November 2009) GX 460 in February 2010. We have not updated the navigation system and the map data is version 09.1 per the display, but that may not be the current version. I'll start a separate thread about updating the map data to learn if anyone has newer data.

Your description matches how our system behaved when we overloaded it. Fortunately, stopping and starting the vehicle cleared the problem. We have also had long delays during navigation when the system becomes unresponsive, which we attribute to keeping the display at maximum zoom ... the navigation software has trouble keeping up with rapidly changing views, especially in dense urban areas.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-09-12, 01:08 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaniDel
We bought an early-production (November 2009) GX 460 in February 2010. We have not updated the navigation system and the map data is version 09.1 per the display, but that may not be the current version. I'll start a separate thread about updating the map data to learn if anyone has newer data.

Your description matches how our system behaved when we overloaded it. Fortunately, stopping and starting the vehicle cleared the problem. We have also had long delays during navigation when the system becomes unresponsive, which we attribute to keeping the display at maximum zoom ... the navigation software has trouble keeping up with rapidly changing views, especially in dense urban areas.
Regards,

SaniDel
Thanks - I saw your other thread. Please let me know if it does help out. I'm going to looking at some update options as well and hopefully it fixes it...