GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front left CV axle needs replacing: any DIY's

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 05:41 PM
bklynchris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front left CV axle needs replacing: any DIY's

I have a '09 GS350 AWD with 121k, an the front left cv axle is starting to leak at the boot. Are there any DIY's out there for this issue? I've watched several videos on youtube which describe how to change it out, but i'm not sure if the procedure would be the same for the GS.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
bklynchris
Old 10-09-13, 05:56 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 794 Likes on 687 Posts

I would pull them out and take them to a drive axle shop to have them rebuilt, and balanced. Doing cv boots is a real mess.

There are tons of youtube videos out there showing how to do it, but it is really mess work.
Old 10-09-13, 06:04 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I never replaced the CV axle on a GS, but on the LS's its pretty straight forward. I would suggest air tools for removing the "carrier",. As ibidu1 recommends, I would have a shop rebuild it as It is an extremely messy process. Rebuilding is also alot friendlier on the wallet instead of buying a new one.
Old 10-09-13, 08:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Most definitely is, I'd pay a shop to just remove it for you. It's not that big a deal tbh.... It's very straight forward like every other car.... Just make sure you have a proper removal tool to pull the axle out. I used a crowbar and failed so hard it's unbelievable.
Old 10-10-13, 07:00 AM
bklynchris
Rookie

Gokou,
when you replaced the cv axle, did you lose any tranny fluid? also, were there any other clips, gaskets etc that were needed for the job? Just want to know everything I need before I get knee deep in it and then get stuck.
Old 10-10-13, 11:01 AM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Nope, no gaskets. The clip is already pre-built into the axle, hence why you need a good axle removal tool.

You shouldn't have any transmission fluid come out. I didn't. If there is, I think something is wrong tbh, as I've done a Camry, Civic, Miata, Tundra, Celica, Nissan Hardbody, Honda Odyssey, and a few MB's. None of them had trans oil come out.... It was messy work though (just a forewarning).

Out of curiosity, you have a TORN boot, your axle is not clicking is it? If it isn't there's no need for a rebuild, just clean really well the section that is torn, regrease, and put on new boot.

I HAVE replaced the boot before, it wasn't that big of a deal.
Old 10-10-13, 12:32 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on the leak, if its only some minor seeping out of the clamps then I would replace just the clamp. No need to replace the whole boot
Old 10-11-13, 08:49 AM
bklynchris
Rookie

To be honest the boot isnt even torn and there's no clicking; there's just a small amount of grease starting to seep past the clamp. I took it to a reputable shop and they said they dont even bother to rebuild cv's and that it's better to just replace the whole cv axle. My BS meter started going off a little bit which is why I started this thread in the hope i could repair or replace on my own.
Old 10-11-13, 09:28 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bklynchris
To be honest the boot isnt even torn and there's no clicking; there's just a small amount of grease starting to seep past the clamp. I took it to a reputable shop and they said they dont even bother to rebuild cv's and that it's better to just replace the whole cv axle. My BS meter started going off a little bit which is why I started this thread in the hope i could repair or replace on my own.
He's right many shops do not rebuild your cv axle because it takes a lot of time. Its cheaper to spend $50-150 on a china made cv axle then to spend 1-2 hours labor plus parts on each axle
Old 10-11-13, 08:50 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bklynchris
Like the post above you said, just replace the grease (if a lot seeped out), and reclamp it with a t-clamp.

If the boot is crunchy (cracked and faded) i'd replace the boot.... It's really isn't that hard.

It's these clamps:

Do not get these clamps:

They are garbage and I do not recommend them to anyone...... The above is expensive for a reason .

With all that, you should be good to go!
Old 10-11-13, 09:40 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Like the post above you said, just replace the grease (if a lot seeped out), and reclamp it with a t-clamp.

If the boot is crunchy (cracked and faded) i'd replace the boot.... It's really isn't that hard.

It's these clamps:

Do not get these clamps:

They are garbage and I do not recommend them to anyone...... The above is expensive for a reason .

With all that, you should be good to go!
Neither of those clamps are a good way to repair the cv axle clamp. Those look like it will throw the balance on the axle.

Proper cv axle clamp or even a high strength zip tie works. But if the clamp is loose sometimes you can crimp the clamp to tighten the grip
Old 10-11-13, 09:50 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Really? I used those clamps before on my previous car, and it worked okay. Good to know tho ibidu!