GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Direct Subwoofer Replacement for ML?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 11:33 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Direct Subwoofer Replacement for ML?

Probably not, but just wondering if any audio gurus know of an aftermarket sub that can be a direct replacement for the ML sub that will sound better without any other additional components.
Old 09-27-12, 11:43 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

not sure if there is just a direct replacement because of the ML amp from what i remember reading but someone with more audio knowledge can confirm. I believe you would need to do something like a Clean Sweep...
Old 09-27-12, 11:51 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
not sure if there is just a direct replacement because of the ML amp from what i remember reading but someone with more audio knowledge can confirm. I believe you would need to do something like a Clean Sweep...
Yeah, that's what I'm expecting to hear. Let's see what the gurus say. I'm sure a lot of people have this question.
Old 09-27-12, 02:39 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this questions been asked a million times. any subwoofer you put in to directly swap out for an ML sub will sound like crap. most free air subs do. you're better off just getting an aftermarket sub, in which case you will need an LOC or a sound processor.
Old 11-10-12, 02:22 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
Probably not, but just wondering if any audio gurus know of an aftermarket sub that can be a direct replacement for the ML sub that will sound better without any other additional components.
You did not specify what qualifies as "better." I felt the original bass was not optimal, and went about fixing it. Click the link below "Kicker ZX450.2 tuned sub."
Old 11-10-12, 05:45 AM
AudioBob
Driver

You can make the stock or ML sub sound decent by adding an amp and Some equalization. My experience with infinite baffle, (free air) is that when it is done right it can sound excellent with very low extension and lots of output. Most really good IB set ups that I have heard use multiple 12" or 15" drivers because you just can't get much volume out of a single 8" or 10" driver. An EQ and subsonic filter is also very important because your trunk acts as the enclosure and it is not a very predictable environment. Another side effect is that it does not require much power to take the sub to it's mechanical limits. you typically need to run about 1/2 the amount of power that the sub can handle from an RMS standpoint.

There are some very good IB subs out there. Some that were specifically designed for IB and some that have been experimented with and people have found that work very well. In my opinion AE is the tops but I have seen Image Dynamics IDMAX and JL 12w6 all work very well IB. Many people looking at going IB look for a sub with a lot of XMAX and low QTS.

All,that being said, the trunk of the GS is not good for mounting multiple drivers IB because it is all steel across the rear seat and rear deck. With some work you can fit a 12" or 15" driver and fire it through the stock location. I have also seen a few run through the ski passage.

I am currently running the stock Pioneer sub with an AudioControl LCQ-1 and giving it about 290 watts RMS and it does decent. I am going to build a sealed enclosure for an 8" sub and fire it through the factory location and see how it does. I have outgrown the boom and I just want a little bit of bass to fill in the bottom end.

Last edited by AudioBob; 11-12-12 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 05:20 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob, that sounds really good. I have a PPI Pro8 from back in the day that I have been wanting to use again. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!
Old 11-12-12, 10:51 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

If your intention is to replace the subwoofer itself, then you will also need to get a new amp, and some form of EQ, in there to do so, such as Bob mentioned and I described in detail in my linked "Kicker" thread. The ML amp will not drive it. So if you get the amp/EQ sorted out, and use it initially to drive the existing ML subwoofer, you may find that the sound quality is sufficiently improved, thus avoiding changing the driver. But that option of course remains open should that be desired.

In other words, start with the electronics, as that is essential to any subwoofer upgrade.
Old 11-12-12, 06:34 PM
AudioBob
Driver

I was able to get all of the wood cut for the box yesterday, trim the rear deck carpet and had to bend some metal out of the way in preparation for mounting the box to the rear deck. I am going to be running an Image Dynamics ID8v3 in a sealed box firing through the stock opening. I could make a 10" or 12" work pretty easily, but I have used the ID8 before and was very happy with it.

I am also looking at upgrading processors to a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3 since it has been recently released. I was looking at the JBL MS-8, but I have heard it has issues with the Bluetooth in the Lexus.

If you are just looking to add a sub I would highly reccomend the AudioControl LC2i as it is a great piece for that and has an optional remote volume control, which I find totally necessary. One of the main reasons that getting the ML sub to work well an aftermarket amp is the high nominal impedance kills an amps power. Also, I don't know if the ML amp is stable down to 4 or 8 ohms if you found another driver to drop in the stock location.
Old 11-13-12, 01:09 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AudioBob
If you are just looking to add a sub I would highly recommend the AudioControl LC2i as it is a great piece for that and has an optional remote volume control, which I find totally necessary.

One of the main reasons that getting the ML sub to work well an aftermarket amp is the high nominal impedance kills an amps power.
It is not difficult to configure a stereo amp in bridge mode to give more drive than the ML sub can safely handle, as I detailed in my thread.

Also, I don't know if the ML amp is stable down to 4 or 8 ohms if you found another driver to drop in the stock location.
Not too sure to whom your question is directed. But anyway, the ML sub amp runs in bridge mode into the sub's 14-ohm voice coil. Driving into an 8 or especially 4 ohm load might be stable, right up until it cooks the amp. Offloading the ML amp into a dedicated sub amp as I did or with something like the LC2i is essential to protect the ML amp.

Looking forward to hearing more about your build and the results.